With an aestheticism inspired by Italian elegance, an Anonimo watch expresses both robustness and functionality through its distinctive design and solid case. The values of originality, seriousness and closeness carry across the two decades. This feeling is reinforced by the careful choice of materials, such as treated or stainless steel or bronze, an element that the brand was one of the first users in watchmaking, and that is still included in each of its lines. Yesterday the watches from Anonimo were developed for professional divers and they refine and affirm their style today.
ANONIMO SpA: 1997 – 2009
Driven by the desire to bring back to life the Florentine watch industry after the sale and departure of Officine Panerai, Federico Massacesi, formerly of Ferragamo, leant on the craftsmanship of the Ambucchi workshop, casemakers since 1939, to found Anonimo. The two collaborators shared the same passion, and the same creative sensibilities, for refined Italian timepieces. Helped by Colonel Dr. Dino Zei, ex-Italian navy officer and former CEO of Panerai, the collaboration was not slow in bearing fruit, thanks to innovation and the technical expertise of each member. Real professional instruments, tailor-made and very sophisticated, are created and aimed at the Italian market. The brand develops nearly 45 models and deposits several patents, both on the technical construction and the decoration of the watches.
It is, for example, from this workshop that the first dive watch made from bronze is launched and several models are developed for the CNS (Cooperative Nazionale Sommazzatori), one the world leaders in deep water diving. Composed of a case forged in the mass with typical Florentine know-how, the watches can withstand enormous pressure. In 2002, Dino agreed to develop a new, eponymous collection, with a more elegant and contemporary approach.
Firenze Orologi: 2009 – 2013
After several years of creativity, inventions and various partnerships with the world of sport, the management team changes but the headquarters remain in Florence. The objective is to make the brand known outside Italian borders and the first ANONIMO watches start to be sold on the Japanese, American and German markets. In tribute to the local traditional knowhow, the watches now bear the inscription "Casemakers in Florence since 1939" on the back and "Anonimo Firenze” on the dial.
The collection is revised, refocused and now falls into four conceptual lines:-
- The "Sport" line
- The "Militare": distinguished by a cushion model with the crown at 6 o'clock as a distinctive element and a signature that is immediately recognisable. This line is still part of the current collection.
- The "Professionale Line": created in collaboration with the CNS (Cooperative Nazionale Sommazzatori) and its professional extreme divers.
- The "Dino Zei” models: stamped with a helmet diving suit on the dial, and a partial transparent caseback.
Bought by a European investor, the company moves from Florence to Switzerland where its manufacture can meet the “Swiss Made” criteria. A new brand development strategy is initiated with the restructuring of the teams, the development of the international distribution networks and an in-depth work on the collection where only two lines are maintained: Militare and Nautilo. From now on, the brand ANONIMO perfectly combines Swiss precision with Italian style sport-chic with a strong personality. The watches are distinguished by a neat and functional design, a clean dial where markers at 12, 04 and 08 o’clock are arranged in a triangle, a reminder of the capital A of ANONIMO.
- 1997: Founding of ANONIMO SpA, in Florence, Italy.
- 1998: Presentation of the « Millemetri » at Vicenzaoro, the most important exhibition for Italian watchmakers and jewellers. This model has an automatic movement like all it future stable mates, and is water resistant to 1000 metres, as its Italian name suggests. Two models are ‘tested’ by the CNS (Cooperative Nazionale Sommazzatori) succeeding to a depth of 2100m during their GEOSTAR project, (research into oceanographic geophysics), off the Sicilian coast in October 2002.
- 2001: Creation of the Militare model, recognisable by its crown positioned at 06 hours, patent filed.
- 2005: Presentation of the « Dino Zei » line and its first model: Nemo.
- 2006: Dino Zei develops the first Nautilo watch. Appearance of Polluce model as a tribute the ANONIMO watches used by the professional divers who saved the treasures from the boat of the same name, shipwrecked in 1841.
- 2007: “10 ANNI” Special editions, including the Marlin, with its 55mm diameter.
- 2009: The structure evolves further with Firenze Orologi and international distribution.
- 2012: To mark the brand’s 15 th anniversary, Dino Zei brings out a book, limited to 800 copies.
- 2013: The brand moves to Switzerland and is renamed ANONIMO SA.
- 2015: Presentation of the new collection with the Militare and Nautilo lines.
- 01 September 2016: Anonimo announces the appointment of its new CEO. The role has gone to Julien Haenny, who has been the brand's Marketing and Communication Director for the last year.
- 2017: ANONIMO celebrates 20 years.
- The U-Lock®: An innovative locking system, exclusive to the Professionale models watch case, featuring an extreme strength watch case. Finished with an advanced locking waterproof system which alleviates torsion on the O-Rings, and is easily repaired in emergency conditions without special tools. The system exclusively operates with great dimension screws on the dial side that allow the watchcase to open or be released without the watch movement needing to be removed.
- “Locking Device System ”: A system of articulation and protection of the crown, ensuring the watertightness of the winding mechanism. The crown is placed between the lugs, rather than on the side, for ease of handling and less irritation to the wrist.
- DRASS Double Refined Anonimo Steel Surface: Multiple treatments of the steel to give it a more sober pitch, closer to titanium. The objective is to maximise the resistance to corrosion and fight oxidisation, an exclusivity of the brand.
- KODIAK k®: The process in which the leather is treated in order to ensure that it remains sealed, making it possible for the leather to preserve its natural qualities. This process does not actually repel water but absorbs it without degrading the leather.
At ANONIMO, bronze watches hold a historical legitimacy and are the expression of the Florentine know-how of the brand. The alloy might have different colours depending on the composition, but the choice at ANONIMO leans towards the warmer hues. Besides its resistance to wear and corrosion, bronze also lives and evolves along with its wearer. Indeed, a colour similar to gold at the outset, it becomes darker and acquires a natural luster over time. This slow and gradual oxidisation gives the bronze watches a unique and vintage look, highly sought after by lovers of this noble and elegant material.
Chemin des Chalets 9 – CH-1279