Magellan Watch brand is named after Ferdinand Magellan (1480 –1521). This great navigator and explorer embarked on a daring expedition that has become known as the first circumnavigation of the world. The expedition proved conclusively that earth is round and is even today considered one of the most important feats in human history.
Created in 2000 by Everhard Vissers, Magellan was bought up by Mario G. Nargi in 2010.Magellan Watch is established in the heart of the Swiss watch production
region. Employing some of the most gifted local craftsmen, the company
creates and produces tactile and aesthetically pleasing timepieces -
incorporating proven high quality Swiss precision components- dedicated
to a discerning clientele, world-wide.
Magellan Watch was founded in 2000 by Everhard Vissers, a businessman with a definite penchant for mechanical watches. For several years prior to that, he had been thinking of creating a watch unlike any other and inspired by a ship’s compass. Nonetheless, as an enlightened connoisseur, he waited until he met professionals capable of creating an authentic horological product, before carrying out his plan. The result was the Magellan 1521 watch featuring an astonishing design – based on semi-spherical dial, hands and sapphire crystal – clearly evoking Magellan’s round-the-world voyage and driven by an innovative movement. In the early 2000s, this concept was regarded as a curiosity clearly intended for a niche audience.
Everhard began by addressing kindred spirits, horological enthusiasts with a thirst for exclusive models, and Magellan Watch unsurprisingly proved mainly successful among informed collectors and connoisseurs. The brand accordingly found its way through its first decade while making only limited series of one-of-a-kind models. While the initial design and technology have remained unchanged, the central theme underwent transformations that opened up whole new vistas just waiting to be explored.
Finding a brand name is no easy task, but for Magellan Watch, the choice was obvious. An illustrious navigator from the great age of discovery, Magellan was the first to sail his fleet from Europe to Asia via the Western route, and to discover the straits between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans that now bear his name. He thereby demonstrated that the Earth was indeed round – a discovery dating back to 1521 which is clearly evoked in the original and remarkably accomplished Magellan Watch concept.
In the models evoking Magellan’s voyage around the globe, the hands perform their own round-the world journey in a strikingly realistic manner; they feature an original shape that moulds the contours of a central half-sphere representing one of the Earth’s two hemispheres, around which they turn. The three traditional hands are enriched by another patented hand indicating the Sun’s position above the Earth: by keeping track of the longitudes appearing on an external ring, the user can always tell at which point on the globe it is noon.
The three-dimensional dial is unique in its kind and called for the development of a special module on the self-winding base movement, ETA 2893. The four hands are considerably raised thanks to an ingenious system of nested guiding pipes. This height means the sapphire crystal is as convex as it could possible, and very few manufacturers are capable of making it. This feat is all the more remarkable in that visibility is ensured from all angles, since there is no “magnifying glass” effect engendered by this crystal which also encompasses the winding and time setting crown – a unique feature on existing watches.
The latter is clearly visible from the front, beneath a cover incorporated into the longitudes dial, but it is accessible only from the underside of the case – a judicious move. The result is a perfectly round case that could indeed not be any rounder, since even the bracelet lugs are invisible. Magellan watches equipped with mechanisms every bit as astonishing as their designs. They are also crafted from noble materials using hand-crafted decorative techniques. Opening their tailor-made presentation boxes reveals a beautifully rounded world to be admired beneath a crystal globe.
Magellan Watch began its history by directly evoking Magellan’s round-the-world voyage. The first creation features a reproduction on the dial of a world map draw up in this age of discovery. The Magellan 1521 attracted due attention at the time of its launch and won an honourable second place in the Jury Prize of the 2003 Watch of the Year awards. Since then, it has been interpreted in versions exploring new worlds, while all housed within a unique structural concept. The Magellan watch is so easily recognisable that it requires no brand signature on the dial. New owner Mario G. Nargi intends to follow the trail that has been blazed, and the Magellan Earth model that marked his arrival cleverly evokes the initial symbolism. The historical world map is replaced by a photo of Earth taken in 2010, the year of the brand takeover.
Surrounding the planet depicted on a 32 mm-diameter brass half-globe – a motif created using coloured varnishes applied to a sandblasted surface – the longitude dial is in mother-of-pearl that is white for the Magellan 1521 and Tahitian black for the Magellan Earth. A planisphere is engraved on the casebacks. The straps are made from navy blue ostrich skin for the steel models, and brown crocodile leather for the gold versions.
A futuristic extrapolation of a 19th century movement architecture now considered to be the historical signature of the Manufacture Girard-P...
In honour of a pioneer who inspired generations of scientists after him from Newton to Einstein, the high end writing instrument specialist ...
The Da Vinci Automatic wristwatch from this year’s Da Vinci edition, is a classically simple watch with three hands in a 40-millimetre round...
Young watch brand Straton Watch Co. is launching their latest addition, the Syncro, a stylish timepiece collection inspired by 1970s stopwat...
Founded by Nicolas Bartschat and Fabian Weis, the young watch brand Styrman & Crew is creating a new trend in the watch industry. Since ...
In 2017, Audemars Piguet presents a new women’s Royal Oak with a uniquely gem-set look defined by a swirling diamond relief pattern that gli...
Young watch brand Gruppo Gamma presents Mk IV, the newest version of its popular Vanguard collection. Introduced in 2014, the Vanguard draws...
BRELLUM is a young and independent Swiss watchmaking brand based at Porrentruy in the canton of Jura, the region better known as the cradle ...
British jeweller and watch maker Mo Eden presents his first men’s wristwatch: the MK1. Hand made in London’s Hatton Garden, the watch is bes...
Prestigious Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin announces the appointments of Juan Carlos Torres as non-executive President, and of ...
- ► 2016 (1572)
- Hublot Big Bang UNICO Chronograph Retrograde Kobe ...
- Ralph Lauren Stirrup Petite-Link Steel with Mother...
- Breitling Superocean II 36
- ANONIMO NAUTILO
- ANONIMO MILITARE CLASSIC
- Arnold & Son UTTE (New References)
- Chopard Mille Miglia GTS Collection - Automatic, P...
- Luminox RECON Leader Chronograph 8840 Series
- Louis Erard 1931 Chrono Vintage Limited Edition
- Van Der Bauwede Stardust Collection
- Van Der Bauwede SNAKE Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Shamrock Collection
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Garden
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Divine Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Legend Beverly
- DAVOSA Black Military Vintage Automatic
- Liu Jo Luxury Graduation Award on accessible luxur...
- Fine Arts News - Kirsty Mitchell ‘WONDERLAND’ Priv...
- Corum Admiral’s Cup Legend 42 Colette X Thomas Erb...
- Snyper Two Collection (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Pocket So H
- Rado opens its first mono-brand boutique in Switze...
- IWC Schaffhausen Spitfire Perpetual Calendar Digit...
- Techné «French Anti-Gang Police» Limited Edition
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph “Italy Limit...
- Christopher Ward C8 P7350 Chronometer Limited Edit...
- NOBEL – Nobel Master
- Mauron Musy Lady Marmak Collection
- HERMÈS – Slim d’Hermès La femme aux semelles de ve...
- Hermès Clipper Sport
- Hermès Arceau Chrono Bridon (New Models - 2015)
- Hermès Clipper (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès Cape Cod Tonneau Gem-Set Rose Gold
- Hermès Arceau Le temps Suspendu Rose Gold
- Cyrus Klepcys Réveil
- Silvana Watches – Introduction & History
- Tissot Vintage
- Tissot T-Touch Expert (New Version)
- Tissot Flamingo
- “GENEVA AT THE HEART OF TIME – The Origin of Swiss...
- Dwiss Brasilia Limited Edition
- Alexander Shorokhoff “Alzenau” Collection
- Urban Jürgensen – New Collection 2015 - 1140L Leve...
- Chronoswiss Timemaster 150
- RAYMOND WEIL NEW TOCCATA
- Swarovski Watches - New Crystalline Oval
- Hermès Arceau Skeleton Steel
- Swarovski Octea Classica
- Louis Erard - EXCELLENCE SKELETON & 1931 SMALL SEC...
- Wenger Urban Watch Collection
- Wenger Attitude Watch Collection
- Wenger Roadster
- Wenger Edge Watch Collection
- MILUS Tirion Triretrograde TIRI200
- Adriatica Ladies 3811.51B3CH
- ADRIATICA 8212.R264CH
- Schwarz Etienne Ode à la Semaine (LA CHAUX-DE-FOND...
- Alexander Shorokhoff “BARBARA“Limited Edition
- Magellan Watch: Brand Profile, History and Product...
- Magellan Watches - 1521 Flowers
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Attitude Automatic
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Tradition
- CATOREX «1858 » C’ Vintage Limited Edition
- CATOREX « 1858 » C’Pure
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Chrono Tradition
- CATOREX C’TWINN
- Bulova Accu•Swiss Treble Collection Manchester Uni...
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines 100 Dia...
- Longines DolceVita
- Longines Elegant Collection
- Citizen becomes the first-ever watch company to wi...
- Longines Ladies Diamond Conquest
- Romano Alberti O-YOROI watch
- SCHWARZ ETIENNE Roswell Manufacture
- Hublot Celebrates the Cricket World Cup Victory wi...
- Swiss Watch Brand CLERC Launches New Ocean Conserv...
- Tutima M2 Chronograph
- Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44
- Caran d’Ache “Spirit of Switzerland” Writing Instr...
- Caran d’Ache Collection Privée
- Caran d’Ache 100th Anniversary Collection
- Caran d’Ache “Year of the Goat” Limited Edition
- URWERK UR-105 TA
- Racing Star Dean Stoneman Is New Brand Ambassador ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot’s Watch Edition “Le Pet...
- Montblanc Meisterstück Miracle Pine Tree Writing I...
- Cabestan Triple Axis Tourbillon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Perspective Cavalière
- Hermès Cape Cod GMT
- Dietlin – Raptor 2 Display Case for Luxury Watches...
- ZANNETTI Magnificum Goat Limited Edition
- CITIZEN Satellite Wave F100 Limited Edition
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture (New Versions)...
- IWC Schaffhausen Celebrates Annual Tribeca Film Fe...
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Vintage Limited Edit...
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Date Gold
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Moon Phase Gold
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Open Gold
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Perpetual Calendar Digi...
- Jaquet Droz - The Charming Bird in Pink Gold
- ▼ April 2015 (299)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)