It was in 1947 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, the cradle of watchmaking and a UNESCO world heritage site, that Willy Lebet founded his company. Now called Catena, it started out assembling movements, but soon specialised in the manufacture of private label watches. Thanks to its highly elegant designs, it quickly built up a solid reputation. In the 1960’s, it established a sound footing in North and South America, where many brands have appreciated being able to sell high-quality, Swiss-made watches under their own name and at a fair price.
Catena embraces the quartz phenomenon
The arrival of quartz in the 1970’s threw the world of watchmaking into turmoil. Traditional mechanical movements went out of fashion and Swiss watchmakers found themselves with serious competitors for the first time. This technical upheaval led to a change in mentality. A watch, considered till then a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, became a fashion accessory. Cheaper and less technically challenging, quartz lent itself to original designs, while enthusiasts began buying several timepieces to wear on different occasions. This new order suited Catena perfectly as it had already built up a reputation for styling and an accessible price position.
Flying saucers light up the Catena sky
The time had come for the company to fly with its own wings. No sooner said than done as the first model to appear under its own name, Catena, was none other than the legendary Spaceman. Designed by the architect Le Marquand, it was launched to instant international acclaim in 1972. A veritable design icon inspired by flying saucers, it was exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the famous MoMA, until 1977.
The success of ultra-slim
Following this success, Catena became ever more creative and soon built up a phenomenal portfolio of several hundred ultra-slim models. In 1980, it launched its 569 model, which was to go down in history as one of the world’s best-selling rectangular-shaped timepieces ever. Other successes included the “gold ingot” watch, one of the first moon phases, and a tide watch.
Repositioning around the horseshoe
Eric Aubert took over the brand in 1993. He very quickly repositioned it around the world of equestrianism. While the designs remained just as sought-after, they now centred exclusively on the spur and horseshoe. In the spring of 2008, Catena was bought out by the French group Ambre. It didn’t take them long to realise that the horseshoe should be kept as the brand’s trademark. Both a watch and a piece of jewellery, Catena is set to write many more beautiful pages in the history of Swiss watchmaking.
In the early 50’, Mr. Lebet registered the brand Catena and the company was specialized in the assembly of mechanical watch movement. However, Mr. Lebet was driven by a desire to create an independently produced Caliber, an automatic movement for originality and technical ingenuity. Year after year since his dream, the company had spent a good deal of time prior to that researching and developing the philosophy and product identity of a movement that would bear their name. The movement, which was 6 years in the development process, was created in conjunction with a team of talented watch makers and engineers, with the aids of avant-garde technology. The first “in-house” caliber SA100 was released in 2008.
[VIEW CATENA WATCHES PRODUCT GALLERY]
Les Vernets 2
C . P. 69
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
TAG Heuer expands its AQUARACER watch series with two Commando styled watches. Available in two versions - Arctic and Jungle - the Aquarace...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
Swiss mechanical clock manufacture L'Epée 1839 unveils Requiem: a table clock with an 8-day movement designed in partnership with Kostas...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
In 1999, taking inspiration from the regulator clocks of 18th century, Oris created the world’s first dive watch featuring a regulator dial....
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
- The Swiss Women' S National Football Team Visits C...
- PUREDIAL Square Legacy
- NOMOS Glashütte – New Midnight Blue Dial Collectio...
- Zenith El Primero Range Rover Special Edition
- Freedom To Exist Watches – Introduction
- G. Gerlach Navigator 2nd Edition
- Thomas Mercer Legacy Atlantic Challenge - The Mari...
- Jean Marcel MYTHOS Vertical Limit® Chronograph
- BOVARRO MOON 1969 Automatic
- Objest - Customizable Swiss Automatic Timepieces
- Bulbul Pebble Watch - Designed by KiBiSi
- Hamtun H1 Titanium Automatic Dive Watch
- AKRONE K-02 Titanium Diver Automatic
- U-BOAT CLASSICO Tungsten “Long Window”
- Frederique Constant Classic Manufacture (New Model...
- Mido Baroncelli Caliber 80 Chronometer Si (M027.40...
- Artya - 3 Gongs Minute Repeater, Regulator & Doubl...
- MB&F Horological Machine N°8 ‘Can-Am’
- McGonigle Tourbillon
- Bentley Watches – Brand Info
- PRODUCT GALLERY: STROM WATCHES BY DANIEL STROM
- Atlantic Seashell
- Atlantic Seaway
- Atlantic Super De Luxe
- ATLANTIC Worldmaster 1888 «Lusso» Limited Edition,...
- ATLANTIC Worldmaster 1888 «Lusso» Limited Edition,...
- Atlantic Worldmaster Diver
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ATLANTIC WATCHES
- MAURON MUSY ARMµRE COLLECTION
- Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico - Sultry Travels
- Mido Belluna Chronograph Caliber 60 (M024.427.36.0...
- Noble Timepieces - OFFSET Collection
- Frederique Constant Classics Automatic Heart Beat,...
- Frederique Constant – New Heartbeat Manufacture Ti...
- Alpina New Startimer Pilot Automatic Chronograph
- Hublot Classic Fusion Aerofusion Limited New York ...
- McGonigle Ceol Minute Repeater
- Valachio Avantiam
- Plan B Edmonton Series
- ArtyA Butterfly Set Tourbillon 1/1
- Bausele Oceanmoon II Dean Canto Limited Edition
- Alpina Alpiner 4 Automatic
- Jaquet Droz Lady 8 Flower (Reference: J032003270 &...
- Alpina Horological Smartwatch, New Blue Dial Versi...
- Anonimo Appoints Julien Haenny as the New CEO of B...
- ArtyA Chrono Tourbillon Monopusher Full Engraved 1...
- Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT “Business Timer”
- Votum – Swiss Made Automatic Watch Collection
- Priyanka Chopra Wears Roger Dubuis for Harper’s Ba...
- Panerai Luminor Due - Luminor Due 3 Days 42 mm & L...
- AUDAZ FLIEGER
- Eterna Golden Heart Limited Edition
- Catena Watches: Brand Info
- Catena SA100 Automatic Movement
- Oris BC3 Advanced Day Date, Gunmetal Grey Version
- Glashütte Original Opens New Boutiques in Vienna a...
- Montblanc Introduces the New Neo-Concept in its Bo...
- Louis Moinet Memoris Red Eclipse Limited Edition
- Audemars Piguet to Present New Exhibition at the Y...
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Mikrograph Anniversary Edition 1...
- TAG Heuer Officially Launches its First Middle Eas...
- TAG Heuer New Link Lady
- HYT – The Hydro Mechanical Horologists
- Spinnaker Watches - Introduction
- Zenith El Primero 36’000 VPH
- Zenith New Elite Lady Gemset Versions - Elite Ultr...
- Bell & Ross BURNING SKULL Limited Edition
- Elementa Aedifex
- Alpine Creative Co. Handcrafted Wooden Watches Fea...
- Coen Anders Chronograph Collection
- HAUTLENCE Playground Labyrinth Limited Edition by ...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Presents a Unique Reverso Watch i...
- Pocavi El Presidente Automatic
- E.C. Andersson North Sea
- Corum Admiral Collection - Admiral Legend 42 Autom...
- Ulysse Nardin Executive Skeleton Tourbillon
- OLIVIER JONQUET - Black Capitaine, Steel Capitaine...
- Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT Limited Edition
- Manufacture Modules Technologies Sàrl Announces It...
- PEGASUS WATCHES VENEZIA – Mercurio & Nettuno
- URWERK EMC TimeHunter X-Ray Limited Edition
- Corum Admiral Legend Automatic (32 & 38 mm)
- Oris Divers Sixty-Five, Green Dial Version
- Hublot Partners with Scottish Retailer ROX as Offi...
- H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch S
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Chronograph Per...
- Panerai Radiomir Firenze 3 Days Acciaio – 47mm (PA...
- Memorigin Stellar Series, Flying Tourbillon Watch ...
- Fabergé Visionnaire DTZ
- Ludovic Ballouard Upside Down Art Deco Watch in Pl...
- Bulgari Serpenti Incantati Tourbillon Lumière
- Baume & Mercier Petite Promesse (Ref. MOA 10289)
- Louis Vuitton Tambour Spin Time Blossom
- ANTOINE PREZIUSO Stella Polare
- Rudis Sylva Harmonious Oscillator RS16
- Alex Benlo Watches - Introduction
- KERBEDANZ Collaborates To Master the Language of U...
- Rado New Ceramica - Designed by Konstantin Grcic
- HYT Launches its Bespoke Department
- MB&F Balthazar - In Association with L’Epée 1839
- ▼ September 2016 (103)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)