Saxon watchmaker, inventor, entrepreneur and politician Ferdinand Adolph Lange was born on 18 February 1815. He gave fine watchmaking a new home in Saxony and reformed the tradition-steeped craft. On his 200th birthday, A. Lange & Söhne pays tribute to the eminent watch pioneer with an anniversary model of the 1815. And the Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments in Dresden is dedicating a special exhibition to this acclaimed personality.
Born in Dresden on 18 February 1815, Ferdinand Adolph Lange ranks among Germany’s foremost economic trailblazers of the 19th century. Trained in natural sciences and classics, he began to realise his entrepreneurial vision of crafting the world’s finest watches in the former mining town of Glashütte in Saxony – he was just 30 years old at the time. He succeeded in developing a successful business from the ground up and laid the cornerstone of a further hub, next to Switzerland, of precision watchmaking.
The constant-force escapement, jumping seconds, a chronograph mechanism and a quarter-repeater are some noteworthy examples. The three-quarter plate he developed embodies his horological ideals and his quest for perfection in simplicity. It improves the stability of the movement. The prominent component became the style-defining hallmark of his pocket watches. With his innovative design approaches, Ferdinand Adolph Lange created the foundation on which the A. Lange & Söhne brand gained international fame and helped turn “Made in Germany” into a global seal of quality.
As an idealist and humanist, Ferdinand Adolph Lange encouraged his best employees to establish their own companies. He created the prerequisites for prosperity in a once impoverished region. In his mind, entrepreneurial success and public welfare were complementary, not contradictory. During his tenure as a mayor of Glashütte, he was committed to an attractive townscape and had roads, embankments and bridges built. As a representative of the Saxon Landtag (parliament), he lobbied for a traffic connection from Dresden to Glashütte. In 1870, when he resigned as mayor, the community of Glashütte granted him honorary citizenship and as a token of gratitude established the Lange Foundation which would fund retirement benefits for local watchmakers.
Since 1895, a monument on the market square in his home town of Glashütte has testifiedto his many accomplishments. During a ceremonial event on 18 February 2015, the citywill also unveil a commemorative plaque at the former mayor’s office.
The anniversary edition of the 1815 watch model
Simplicity and flawlessness – the key attributes of the style pioneered by Ferdinand Adolph Lange – also characterise the special edition of the 1815 “200th Anniversary F. A. Lange”. Characteristic details such as Arabic numerals, the railway-track minute scale and the subsidiary seconds are reminiscent of Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s famous pocket watches that were acclaimed for their precision and dependability.
The anniversary exhibition
The Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments in Dresden’s Zwinger is also saluting the founder of fine Saxon watchmaking in his anniversary year. From 18 February to 14 June 2015, the exhibition “Simply perfect – How Saxony became a centre of the watchmaking industry” provides fascinating insights into the impressive lifework of the expert, entrepreneur and forward-looking European, including some items that have never been displayed before.
There can be no better venue for the anniversary exhibition than the Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments, the cradle of Saxon precision watchmaking and the state’s foremost authority of timekeeping since the late 18th century. It is where the young Ferdinand Adolph Lange encountered the mechanical masterpieces of his era and through them discovered his enthusiasm for horology. His vision to craft the world’s finest watches in Saxony had its origins here. The exhibition marks a further milestone in the nine-year collaboration between Dresden State Art Collections and A. Lange & Söhne.
The legacy of Ferdinand Adolph Lange
Even today, Ferdinand Adolph Lange serves as a role model. In 1990, the reunification gave his great-grandson Walter Lange the opportunity to revitalise and breathe new life into a family tradition that had been pursued across three generations and was then interrupted by destruction and expropriation. He chose the founder’s ideas and ideals as the yardstick. Today, Glashütte is the centre of the German watch industry again and Lange is its biggest employer. Timepieces bearing the proud A. Lange & Söhne signature are once again coveted by collectors all over the world as icons of sublime watchmaking artistry.
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Jaeger-LeCoultre Rendez-Vous collection 2017 offers new versions of Rendez-Vous Night & Day timepiece. Available in three sizes and in a...
For the upcoming festive season, Japanese watchmaking giant Seiko presents an exclusive Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT, in a Limited Edition ...
- ► 2016 (1517)
- Breitling Colt Chronograph Automatic
- OMEGA inaugurates its new boutique in Pune, India
- DeLaneau sharpens focus on exclusivity and appoint...
- BOVET Amadeo® Fleurier Braveheart® Tourbillon
- ROMAIN VOLLET Motor Skull
- MB&F HM3 MEGAWIND Final Edition
- Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. REMADE IN SWITZERLA...
- Ollivier Savéo Watches - Introduction
- Bremont Jaguar MKI & MKII
- Fabergé unveils Pearl Egg, an extraordinary, one-o...
- Laurent Dordet appointed CEO of La Montre Hermès
- Dresden based company Post Modern unveils a specia...
- Arnold & Son DSTB (Instrument Collection), New Ref...
- Dewitt Academia Grand Tourbillon
- Dewitt Twenty-8-Eight Double Time GMT2 Poetic
- Junghans Meister Collection (New Versions)
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2
- Girard-Perregaux 1966 18K Pink Gold Edition with G...
- HUBLOT - Big Bang Ferrari Black Ceramic & Big Bang...
- Van der Bauwede VDB Legend T. Crown Tourbillon
- ZAUNICK - Unique Handmade Cufflinks & Accessories
- Charriol Gran Celtica™ SuperSportS
- Bell & Ross BR 03 Aviation Type ALPA-S
- SAINT HONORE - The “Tour Eiffel” Timepiece
- Glashütte Original - New versions of the PanoMatic...
- Glashütte Original PanoReserve (New versions: Red ...
- OMEGA inaugurates its newest flagship store in Tai...
- Epos Emotion 3390 24H
- Thomas Mercer Becomes the Official Timekeeper of t...
- Melbourne Watch Company - The "Avalon"
- A. Lange & Söhne celebrates Ferdinand Adolph Lange...
- A. Lange & Söhne - The 1815 “200th Anniversary F. ...
- Gallet Announces Online Crowd Funding Campaign to ...
- Baume & Mercier Promesse 10199
- Seculus Ambassador Collection
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Power of Love
- GoS Nordic Seasons Gold with new damascus steel ca...
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Gravity (New Limited E...
- Aerowatch Renaissance Orange Tornado
- Piaget Mediterranean Garden
- Arnold & Son Royal Collection - HM Goats Limited E...
- Jaquet Droz Sunstone Collection (Petite Heure Minu...
- Bergstern Sports Chronograph
- Oris Thelonious Monk Limited Edition Watch
- Calvin Klein alliance
- Christophe Claret expands into Malaysia and exhibi...
- Christophe Claret Aventicum
- Breitling Chronoliner
- Hamilton Chrono Worldtimer Quartz
- Albert Riele Premiere Chronograph
- Kerbedanz Celtic Dog Limited Edition
- Carl F. Bucherer Patravi ScubaTec Rose Gold
- Rado HyperChrome Plasma Diamonds Limited Edition
- BOVET - Amadeo ® Fleurier Monsieur BOVET Reversed ...
- Patek Philippe Launches Online ‘Global Generations...
- Audemars Piguet Official Sponsor and Time Keeper f...
- Hysek Abyss Tenth Anniversary Collection
- The Supermodel Bar Refaeli Becomes the New Brand A...
- Techné Dual-Time Swiss Concept Aviator Watch
- Ulysse Nardin Vivaldi
- Lebois & Co Avantgarde Date
- Zannetti Regent Full Sky Mk II
- CLERC Hydroscaph Collection - A New Breed of Swiss...
- Watch in Focus – Omega Speedmaster
- Auguste Reymond Cotton Club Moonphase
- Pierre DeRoche TNT Royal Retro GMT ½ Hour
- Voutilainen GMR Limited Edition
- Enicar Hyperion CH337 Chronometer
- DIMIER by BOVET - The Récital 17 (Triple time zone...
- ArtyA Son of a Gun Russian Roulette Glasnost G1
- Burberry - The Britain Icon Check Collection
- Louis Erard Excellence Regulator
- Blancpain supports the Ocean Innovation Challenge
- POP PILOT® - Uniquely Colour-Calibrated Timepieces...
- Harry Winston Midnight Feathers Automatic 42mm
- Bentley Bourbon Power Reserve
- Bentley Veneur Club Sport
- Victorinox Swiss Army Chrono Classic 1/100
- Cover CoA10 Watchmaker Limited Edition
- Swiss Artist, Robin Meier, Selected to Present the...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Grand Opening of it...
- Richard Mille ‘Open Link’
- A. Lange & Söhne opens its boutique in Miami
- De Bethune DB28 GS
- BUBEN&ZORWEG pops up at Harrods, London
- Rado HyperChrome Automatic Chronograph Tachymeter
- BOVET Château de Môtiers - Flower of Life
- Alpina Startimer Pilot Big Date
- Alpina Startimer Pilot Chronograph Big Date
- RJ-Romain Jerome PAC-MAN Level II Collection
- Breitling Colt 36 Collection
- OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Limited Edition wi...
- Perrelet Turbine Skeleton
- Eberhard & Co. Gilda Precious White
- Chopard L.U.C Qualité Fleurier (Ref. 161896-5003)
- Burberry the Britain S/S15 Runway – The Birds and ...
- HYT SKULL
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Rose Gold with Openwork Sk...
- OMEGA Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 Solar Impulse Lim...
- Arnold & Son signs global partnership with Northro...
- ▼ February 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)