MB&F announces MEGAWIND Final Edition, the closing model in brand’s successful HM3 series. In this edition, the darkness of the black PVD treated 18k gold case and blackened 22k gold and titanium rotor is punctuated in the dark by the bright green glow of Super-LumiNova. And the light emanating steadily from the indications is in contrast to the stroboscopic flash of light as the rotor covers/uncovers a bright band of lume at the top of the movement.
In this Final Edition, MB&F incorporates the most advanced Super-LumiNova available on the market today: GL C3 Grade A. This is not only the brightest but also the purest form of the luminescent material, recognisable by its typical green hue; while Super-LumiNova comes in many colours, the active pigments are always green and other colours partially mask the green glow. HM3 MEGAWIND Final Edition is a limited edition of 25 pieces in black PVD-treated 18k gold and titanium, with Super-LumiNova numerals and band under the rotor.
While the viewer’s gaze will naturally be attracted towards the three-dimensional sculptures housing the hours and minutes, it is likely to be the giant battle-axe shaped winding rotor that mesmerises the eye as it swings unhurriedly, but indomitably over the meticulously hand-finished movement. It's in the dark however when the rotor really comes alive with light.
MEGAWIND is powered by the beautifully engineered, Jean-Marc Wiederrecht-designed HM3 engine. Placing the rotor and regulator on the dial side required an inverted movement, which was only possible thanks to two large high-tech ceramic bearings – visible through the display back – that efficiently transmit time up to the revolving hour and minute cones above. Rotating domes of this size and shape posed several technical challenges. The hour and minute domes are machined from solid blocks of aluminium, chosen for its optimal strength-to-weight ratio; this keeps energy requirements to an absolute minimum.
Close inspection of the case – which comprises over 50 separate components – is rewarded with a myriad of carefully considered details, including the bevelled perimeter of the rotor display crystal that adds visual flair as the angles catch and reflect flashes of light; the bespoke clover-head gold screws; and the cleverly integrated lugs attaching the strap.
HM3 has an inverted movement so that its operation can be easily seen from the dial side and MEGAWIND Final Edition follows the same principle. Harmoniously crafted bridges, rapidly oscillating balance wheel, gearing and MB&F’s iconic battle-axe automatic winding rotor are all open to view on the dial side. This allows the wearer to fully appreciate the art and craft of the HM3 engine by drawing the viewer’s gaze inside the highly complex machine; a machine comprising more than 300 fine-finished, high-precision components.
The movement of HM3 has been literally turned upside down to allow for an uninterrupted panorama of the powerfully graceful rotation of the 22k gold and titanium winding rotor and the high-speed oscillations of the balance wheel. Jean-Marc Wiederrecht, winner of the inaugural award for Best Watchmaker at the 2007 Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève, was entrusted with turning the drawings and designs of Maximilian Büsser and designer Eric Giroud into horological reality and, with his team at Agenhor, he surpassed the challenge.
Until MEGAWIND Final Edition, adding Super-LumiNova to the display was thought to be impossible as the lume has to be hand painted on the curved cones of HM3. While no longer impossible, the technique for applying the lume is anything but straightforward. White paint is first hand-painted onto the numeral shapes of an indication cone projected flat. A silicon stamp is pressed onto this flat surface to pick up the white paint in the correct shape and then the operator carefully uses the stamp to evenly transfer the paint to the three-dimensional cone. The white paint not only serves as a template but also acts as a reflector for the Super-LumiNova, which is then painstakingly applied by hand as a second layer.
HM3 was first presented in 2009 and in its six years of production became MB&F’s most popular model. The case and movement architecture have given rise to no fewer than 19 different variations: HM3 Starcruiser in red and white gold, HM3 Sidewinder in red and white gold, HM3 ReBel, JWLRYMACHINE in purple and pink versions, HM3 Frog Ti, HM3 Chocolate Frog, HM3 Black Frog (green rotor), HM3 Frog Zr (purple rotor), HM3 Fire Frog, HM3 Poison Dart Frog, MoonMachine in titanium, black and red gold variations, MEGAWIND in red and white gold and last, but certainly not least, MEGAWIND Final Edition.
The hour and minute cones are milled from solid aluminium to paper-thin thickness. The cones are housed within three-dimensional truncated gold and sapphire crystal cones, which are brazed together. Brazing is a high-temperature soldering technique that is aesthetically pleasing and ensures a solid, water-resistant construction.
Independent Finnish watchmaker Stepan Sarpaneva (co-creator of MB&F’s MoonMachine) provided both the initial idea for the large rotor and the name, MEGAWIND. The two 22K gold blades of the iconic MB&F battle-axe rotor on the dial make what is called a ‘mystery’ rotor because, in appearing to be symmetrically balanced instead of having a visibly off-centred mass, they look to defy the laws of physics. This ‘mystery’ is achieved by machining the underside of one of the gold blades to a razor-thin edge, so reducing its mass.
The MEGAWIND Final Edition rotor adds a layer of stealth (by day) and illumination by night: the titanium and 22K white gold rotor is blackened so that it blends seamlessly with the case. When it's dark however, a thick line of Super-LumiNova is alternately revealed and covered by the turning rotor, adding animated bright flashes from the glowing green lume to the glowing indications.
Time indications are usually located on the top, or dial side, of a movement. As the movement of HM3 is inverted to display its operation, an efficient solution was needed to bring power from the bottom of the movement to the timekeeping cones at the top. Standard pinions set in jewels would have required complex, friction-generating gearing, and would require support top and bottom – a factor which would increase the height of the movement, and thus the watch.
So instead of standard jewelled pinions, HM3 features two large-diameter (15mm) high-tech ceramic bearings. Because of their large diameter, these bearings minimise the number of friction inducing gears and, due to the rigidity resulting from their ultra-high precision design and manufacture, they only require support at one end (the base) so allow for a thinner movement.
Model: MB&F MEGAWIND FINAL EDITION
Limited Edition of 25 Pieces
Three-dimensional horological engine designed by Jean-Marc Wiederrecht / Agenhor; based on a Sowind oscillator and gear train
Balance oscillating at 28,800 bph
Automatic winding rotor in 3 parts: hub and arms in blackened titanium with outer sections in blackened 22k gold, fastened with 4 rivets
Time indications transmitted via ceramic ball bearings
Number of jewels: 36 (all functional)
Number of components: 270
Hours in C3 Super-LumiNova on one cone
Minutes in C3 Super-LumiNova on second cone
Black PVD-treated 18k white gold and titanium
Limited edition of 25 pieces, all numbered "1 in 25"
Dimensions (exclusive of crown and lugs): 47mm x 50mm x 17mm
Number of case components: 52
Sapphire cones and front and back display crystals have anti-reflective treatment on both faces
Black hand-stitched alligator with 18k gold and titanium custom designed folding buckle
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
Jaeger-LeCoultre Rendez-Vous collection 2017 offers new versions of Rendez-Vous Night & Day timepiece. Available in three sizes and in a...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Specialised in the production of 3D printed wristwatches, Holthinrichs brand was established by architecture turned horology enthusiast Mich...
- ► 2016 (1513)
- Breitling Colt Chronograph Automatic
- OMEGA inaugurates its new boutique in Pune, India
- DeLaneau sharpens focus on exclusivity and appoint...
- BOVET Amadeo® Fleurier Braveheart® Tourbillon
- ROMAIN VOLLET Motor Skull
- MB&F HM3 MEGAWIND Final Edition
- Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. REMADE IN SWITZERLA...
- Ollivier Savéo Watches - Introduction
- Bremont Jaguar MKI & MKII
- Fabergé unveils Pearl Egg, an extraordinary, one-o...
- Laurent Dordet appointed CEO of La Montre Hermès
- Dresden based company Post Modern unveils a specia...
- Arnold & Son DSTB (Instrument Collection), New Ref...
- Dewitt Academia Grand Tourbillon
- Dewitt Twenty-8-Eight Double Time GMT2 Poetic
- Junghans Meister Collection (New Versions)
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2
- Girard-Perregaux 1966 18K Pink Gold Edition with G...
- HUBLOT - Big Bang Ferrari Black Ceramic & Big Bang...
- Van der Bauwede VDB Legend T. Crown Tourbillon
- ZAUNICK - Unique Handmade Cufflinks & Accessories
- Charriol Gran Celtica™ SuperSportS
- Bell & Ross BR 03 Aviation Type ALPA-S
- SAINT HONORE - The “Tour Eiffel” Timepiece
- Glashütte Original - New versions of the PanoMatic...
- Glashütte Original PanoReserve (New versions: Red ...
- OMEGA inaugurates its newest flagship store in Tai...
- Epos Emotion 3390 24H
- Thomas Mercer Becomes the Official Timekeeper of t...
- Melbourne Watch Company - The "Avalon"
- A. Lange & Söhne celebrates Ferdinand Adolph Lange...
- A. Lange & Söhne - The 1815 “200th Anniversary F. ...
- Gallet Announces Online Crowd Funding Campaign to ...
- Baume & Mercier Promesse 10199
- Seculus Ambassador Collection
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Power of Love
- GoS Nordic Seasons Gold with new damascus steel ca...
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Gravity (New Limited E...
- Aerowatch Renaissance Orange Tornado
- Piaget Mediterranean Garden
- Arnold & Son Royal Collection - HM Goats Limited E...
- Jaquet Droz Sunstone Collection (Petite Heure Minu...
- Bergstern Sports Chronograph
- Oris Thelonious Monk Limited Edition Watch
- Calvin Klein alliance
- Christophe Claret expands into Malaysia and exhibi...
- Christophe Claret Aventicum
- Breitling Chronoliner
- Hamilton Chrono Worldtimer Quartz
- Albert Riele Premiere Chronograph
- Kerbedanz Celtic Dog Limited Edition
- Carl F. Bucherer Patravi ScubaTec Rose Gold
- Rado HyperChrome Plasma Diamonds Limited Edition
- BOVET - Amadeo ® Fleurier Monsieur BOVET Reversed ...
- Patek Philippe Launches Online ‘Global Generations...
- Audemars Piguet Official Sponsor and Time Keeper f...
- Hysek Abyss Tenth Anniversary Collection
- The Supermodel Bar Refaeli Becomes the New Brand A...
- Techné Dual-Time Swiss Concept Aviator Watch
- Ulysse Nardin Vivaldi
- Lebois & Co Avantgarde Date
- Zannetti Regent Full Sky Mk II
- CLERC Hydroscaph Collection - A New Breed of Swiss...
- Watch in Focus – Omega Speedmaster
- Auguste Reymond Cotton Club Moonphase
- Pierre DeRoche TNT Royal Retro GMT ½ Hour
- Voutilainen GMR Limited Edition
- Enicar Hyperion CH337 Chronometer
- DIMIER by BOVET - The Récital 17 (Triple time zone...
- ArtyA Son of a Gun Russian Roulette Glasnost G1
- Burberry - The Britain Icon Check Collection
- Louis Erard Excellence Regulator
- Blancpain supports the Ocean Innovation Challenge
- POP PILOT® - Uniquely Colour-Calibrated Timepieces...
- Harry Winston Midnight Feathers Automatic 42mm
- Bentley Bourbon Power Reserve
- Bentley Veneur Club Sport
- Victorinox Swiss Army Chrono Classic 1/100
- Cover CoA10 Watchmaker Limited Edition
- Swiss Artist, Robin Meier, Selected to Present the...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Grand Opening of it...
- Richard Mille ‘Open Link’
- A. Lange & Söhne opens its boutique in Miami
- De Bethune DB28 GS
- BUBEN&ZORWEG pops up at Harrods, London
- Rado HyperChrome Automatic Chronograph Tachymeter
- BOVET Château de Môtiers - Flower of Life
- Alpina Startimer Pilot Big Date
- Alpina Startimer Pilot Chronograph Big Date
- RJ-Romain Jerome PAC-MAN Level II Collection
- Breitling Colt 36 Collection
- OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra 150M Limited Edition wi...
- Perrelet Turbine Skeleton
- Eberhard & Co. Gilda Precious White
- Chopard L.U.C Qualité Fleurier (Ref. 161896-5003)
- Burberry the Britain S/S15 Runway – The Birds and ...
- HYT SKULL
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Rose Gold with Openwork Sk...
- OMEGA Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 Solar Impulse Lim...
- Arnold & Son signs global partnership with Northro...
- ▼ February 2015 (121)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)