Breguet reinvents this year the minute-repeater, one of the most coveted horological complications by taking an original approach with the Tradition 7087. This timepiece is presented in a completely new light, both in terms of approach and result. Breguet’s watchmakers and engineers made a clean sweep of the usual methods to design their exceptional timepiece around the sound it produces. Using simulations they first synthesised about a hundred thousand sounds, which they classified into categories according to psychoacoustic criteria.
These sounds were listened to and evaluated to identify the two desired notes with the aim of revolutionising sound perception by modern harmonies and tuning. The construction of the timepiece was then undertaken to reproduce the selected sound mechanically. This unprecedented approach determined the choice of every aspect of the watch, the innovations inherent in the shape of the components and the materials used for decoration. The brand’s characteristic styling was therefore carefully planned so as not to interfere with the desired sound.
Reine de Naples Sonnerie au Passage 8978 is here replaced by a radiating bezel screwed to the case band with three pillars allowing the bezel and glass to vibrate freely. This innovation results in improved sound emission, particularly at low frequencies. While the exterior parts of the watch generally transmit mostly the higher frequencies, the radiating bezel offers a wider range with several frequencies below 4,000Hz.
Unlike many minute-repeaters in which the travel of the hammers is parallel to the movement of the watch, this Breguet Tradition 7087 has hammers that strike vertically from the movement towards the bezel. Thanks to this technique, the mechanical vibrations are very efficiently transformed into sound waves. The hammers entailed a supplementary innovation that has been patented: a semi-active buffer. Minute-repeaters usually have a buffer spring to prevent the vibrating gongs from being struck twice. However, because the buffer spring comes into play before the hammer strikes the gong it partially reduces the hammer’s force. The company’s watchmakers have therefore invented a so-called semi-active buffer that maximises the hammer’s energy while eliminating the risk of a double strike caused by the vibration. To achieve this they devised an articulated damper that is synchronised with the strike of the hammer, which is immediately pulled back by a spring.
As in the Classique La Musicale 7800 model, a membrane has been placed on the back of the case. Linked to the bezel, it vibrates the air in the acoustic cavity between the pierced caseback and the membrane. The volume of the minute-repeater is thus increased, while the sounds from the mechanism are filtered. Here Breguet’s research in acoustics resulted in a gold membrane affixed to a sapphire crystal providing an unhindered view of the movement, unlike the metallic glass membrane of the reference 7800.
The materials were also chosen according to the results of Breguet’s scientific research into vibroacoustics. The model thus comes in a white gold or rose gold case with a gong made from the same material. The base-plate and bridges of the movement are in titanium. Along with an appropriate sizing of the parts, this material serves to avoid propagating the noises from the mechanism by filtering their transmission to the exterior. Designed to spread and amplify the sound, the latter is distinguished by its ability to reproduce the sound of the gongs in all its majestic purity. The Manufacture Breguet is the first to use titanium in a movement for acoustical reasons, mainly because this material is so difficult to work with.
In addition to all these innovations is the use of a magnetic governor in this Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon model, as was the case in the Classique La Musicale watch. Unlike a traditional governor, this patented system consists of silver weights passing beneath magnets and slowed down by magnetic fields. An adjustment spring allows the magnets to be moved closer to or farther from the magnetic field. The noise is thus reduced and wear avoided, while the speed is kept constant to maintain the strikes at a steady rhythm however many they may be. Although it’s essentially the same system as that in the Classique La Musicale model, this magnetic governor has been the subject of much calculation and optimisation to adapt it to the minute-repeating mechanism. This innovative device can be seen on the dial side through the sapphire-crystal glass. Beyond its unusual technical features, this Tradition 7087 watch is made as a tribute to the company’s long history, which is why it is naturally endowed with a tourbillon. This emblematic compensation device, invented by Abraham-Louis Breguet in 1801, has made a lasting impact on horological history by preserving the regulating organ from the perils of gravity. But the Tradition 7087’s real compliment to the pocket-repeaters of old is the bayonet pusher to activate the striking mechanism. After releasing the pusher by slightly unscrewing it, the user will be careful to lock it by screwing it in again. Thereafter a simple press will be enough to trigger the audible mechanism. And finally the transmission from the barrel for the strike to the minute-repeater is by chain, as in the old pocket-watches, notably the N°160 watch made for the queen of France, Marie-Antoinette.
Apart from the many innovations improving its acoustic qualities, this watch incorporates other already proven developments. In particular, this self-winding timepiece is fitted with a peripheral rotor. While this system was originally invented to save space, it was selected in this case to make the movement perfectly visible and to maintain the stylistic coherence of the Tradition collection. It is also equipped with the high-energy barrel, which first appeared in reference 5277 and 5377. Finally, this model has a silicon Breguet spring, an invention that is increasingly available in the company’s watch models.
To sum up, the Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon is the fruit of entirely unprecedented research that brought together all the company’s latest innovations. This novel and pioneering approach enabled Breguet to design a product that has exceptional purity of sound and an original tone. In terms of styling, this unique piece has a contemporary design, which, like the entire Tradition collection, offers the major parts of the movement on the dial side to the admiration of the viewer. The many decorative features cherished by the company are also present. The hours and minutes are shown by open-tipped hands in blued steel, while the dial is engine-turned by hand. The case is decorated with fluting on the case band and has welded lugs.
Model: Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 7087
18-carat rose gold with delicately fluted case band
Double-paned sapphire-crystal caseback
Welded lugs with screw bars
Silvered 18-carat gold, engine-turned and offset at 1:30
Individually numbered and signed Breguet
Hours chapter with Roman numerals
Breguet open-tipped hands in blued steel
Self-winding movement with minute-repeater and 60-second tourbillon at 6 o'clock
Numbered and signed Breguet
Titanium base-plate and bridges
Cal. 565DR. 16 lignes, 60 jewels
Magnetic strike governor
80 hours power reserve indicator in an aperture at 12 o'clock
Bi-directional platinum winding rotor on the periphery of the movement
Tourbillon bridge in titanium
Inverted lateral lever escapement with silicon pallets
Breguet balance-wheel on a Breguet silicon spring
Balance frequency 4Hz. Adjusted in six positions
Also available in 18-carat white gold: Reference 7087BB/G1/9XV
For the first time, Speake-Marin combines on a single watch a minute repeater carillon, a tourbillon and an animation of the dial which brin...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
Rado's super slim True Thinline collection has added chic models in four colourful new high-tech ceramic variatons. With their detail-fr...
At SIHH 2017 luxury watch fair, Vacheron Constantin have unveiled one of the most complicated mechanical wristwatches of modern era: the L...
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
To celebrate the launch of the Bentley Continental Supersports, Breitling for Bentley has created a limited-edition chronograph with a titan...
This year, Speake-Marin unveils the new Brown Serpent Calendar featuring a curved gold guilded-steel date hand and multi-layered, satin-fini...
- ► 2016 (1563)
- Armand Nicolet O.H.M. L15 Limited Edition
- Ernest Borel Cocktail Collection
- Eterna Adventic GMT with in-house 3914A calibre
- Eterna Super KonTiki
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk Tourbillon
- CERTINA DS Action Chronograph
- CERTINA DS Stella
- Certina DS-8 Chronograph Moon Phase
- FRANC VILA FVns81 Tourbillon Réveil Manufacture (A...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Chocolate - The Special 5th ...
- Balmain Swiss Watches - Balmainia Chrono Lady Arab...
- Hublot Opens Its New Boutique in Shenyang Charter ...
- HUBLOT - Big Bang Ferrari Carbon King Gold & Big B...
- HUBLOT Big Bang Unico Bi-retrograde Chronograph fo...
- Tissot PRS 516 New Version
- Paul Picot Chrono Gentleman Minoia 2 Black DLC
- Paul Picot Atelier - The Dragon e Fish date
- Paul Picot Megarotor GMT with Grand Feu Enamel Dia...
- Harry Winston Midnight Date Moonphase Automatic 42...
- Harry Winston Midnight Diamond Stalactites Automat...
- Gc LadyChic Turquoise Python
- Gc LadyChic Collection
- Gc-3 Mechanical Chronograph Limited Edition
- Harry Winston Premier Lace 31mm
- Harry Winston Premier Precious Butterfly Automatic...
- Girard-Perregaux Vintage 1945 70th Anniversary Edi...
- Lebeau-Courally Phase De Lune
- Antoine Preziuso - The Tourbillon of Tourbillons
- JEANRICHARD Bronze Terrascope
- JEANRICHARD Blue Terrascope 44 mm (With blue textu...
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope GMT
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope Chrono Carbon Limited Editi...
- HYT H1 Cigar Limited Edition
- HYT - H2 FULL BRONZE & H2 FULL GUN
- Harry Winston Premier Shinde Automatic 36mm
- Harry Winston Avenue Dual Time Automatic
- Eberhard & Co. Gilda Grand Pavé
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Special Edition Precision...
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Limited Edition Statue of...
- Champs Élysées - Collection Rive Blanche
- Bulgari Roma 40th Anniversary Collection
- BALL Watch - The BALL for BMW TimeTrekker
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Kelvin
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Lady Glow
- Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady-Datejust 28
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Heuer 01
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Super Navigator - Av...
- BALL Watch Engineer II Volcano
- BALL Watch Engineer II Green Berets
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Aero GMT
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Moon Phase
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Skindiver II
- Milus Zetios Automatic (Reference: ZET200)
- MATHEY-TISSOT – Smart 6940PM
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Steel with Openwork Skelet...
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Rose gold & diamonds
- Manufacture Royale Androgyne Origine 245th Anniver...
- Gc Bold Chronograph, 44mm
- Fendi Timepieces – Fendi My Way Limited Editions
- Eberhard & Co. Extra‐Fort Automatic (New Dial Vers...
- Champs Élysées Collection Estelle
- CATOREX C’Attitude Voyager Quartz
- Bulgari Diagono Magnesium
- Luminox XCOR Valjoux Automatic Chronograph
- Tickoprint ® - Professional Watch Analyzer Applica...
- Luminox ANU Chronograph 4240 series
- Lebeau-Courally: Guns & Watches!!!!
- OMEGA Constellation Pluma (New Version with light ...
- OMEGA De Ville Prestige Dewdrop
- OMEGA Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon - New Vers...
- TRIARROWS launches its second crowd funding campai...
- OMEGA Speedmaster White Side of the Moon
- OMEGA Speedmaster ‘57 (New Edition)
- OMEGA Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Li...
- Luminox Navy SEAL Colormark 25th Anniversary (3050...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe
- Jean d'Eve Sectora II Automatic Black DLC
- HYT H3
- Hysek IO 45mm Skeleton Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Chronograph Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Jumping Hours Tourbillon
- Hysek Abyss 44mm Automatic Tourbillon
- Versace V-RAY Chronograph
- Versace V-METAL ICON
- Voutilainen 28 Oukamon
- Roamer Rotodate RD 100
- Roamer Superior Day Date
- ROAMER SEAROCK Ladies
- Zenith Elite 6150
- Zenith El Primero Sport
- Breguet B Crazy Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Rêve De Plume Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Reine De Naples Haute Joaillerie 8909
- Breguet Reine De Naples Princesse Mini 9807 & 9808...
- Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 70...
- Breguet Marine Chronographe “200 Ans De Marine” 58...
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Automatic Edition “AMG ...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph QEII Cup 201...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’art Savoirs Enluminé...
- ▼ March 2015 (372)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)