Prestigious Swiss watch manufactory Vacheron Constantin has recently unveiled a unique Atelier Cabinotiers set composed of five masterpieces of watchmaking, Tourbillon pocket watches, in the spirit of the Observatory pieces made in the early 20thcentury. This one and only set was purchased by a fine collector, who bought the privilege of owning the accumulated know-how in the Observatory field. An extraordinary and completely unique set of five watches, each watch being singularly unique, each watch made with an individual very special high-precision movement of the highest technical significance, together demonstrating the breathtaking technical accomplishment of Vacheron Constantin.
•Tourbillon with detent Chronometer escapement
•Tourbillon Constant force escapement
•Tourbillon «Remontoir d’Egalité»
•Tourbillon Marine Chronometer balance
Created in 2006, Vacheron Constantin’s Atelier Cabinotiers revives the very unique spirit of 18th century. At that time, prestigious clients came to order directly from the cabinotiers, the watchmakers and craftsmen who forged the city’s reputation. Atelier Cabinotiers offers a wide range of service going from a unique dial to a complete creation of a timepiece that implies the development of the caliber to the design of the case.
When a watch is being used by the wearer, it is, quite naturally, moved in many different positions during the course of that period – such as upside down, upright, flat and sideways. Even today, one of the greatest challenges for a watchmaker is to regulate a watch for consistent accuracy no matter what position it is in. The mechanism known as a “tourbillon” provides an extremely effective solution to this obstacle. In a standard watch movement with a fixed escapement but without tourbillon, the timekeeping ability of the watch can be affected by changes in the position of the watch because the effect of gravity “pulls” down on the oscillating balance wheel and hairspring creating very small distortions which therefore affect accuracy of timekeeping, this effect is known by watchmakers as “positional error”.
Tourbillon with detent Chronometer escapement
This exceptional watch by Vacheron Constantin can, along with the other four watches in this unique set, be considered a masterpiece of watchmaking and one of very few watches known with both tourbillon and detent chronometer escapement.
The escapement of a watch is the part that “ticks”, it is a mechanism which allows the power from the mainspring via the wheel train to be released and therefore the hands to advance in the correct small increments to indicate the passage of time. The escapement incorporates the oscillating balance wheel with hairspring that can be seen turning backwards and forwards in the movement of any mechanical watch.
The difference between the detent chronometer and the standard anchor escapement is that the chronometer escapement, being unidirectional, has no recoil during its action whereas for each motion of the standard anchor escapement there is a very slight backward motion or recoil because the two pallets of the anchor are alternately engaged on both the forward and backward swing of the balance. The elimination of the recoil in the detent chronometer provided by its unidirectional action and almost detached balance makes it much more precise and capable of extreme accuracy.
A watch with detent chronometer escapement can be visually recognized by looking at the action of the small seconds hand which moves in a noticeably precise way in half-second “jumps” as opposed to the typical “sweeping” action of a watch with anchor escapement. The detent chronometer escapement works by the controlled locking and unlocking of the ruby pallets that provide the impulse to the escape wheel, a long thin straight spring or “detent” momentarily locking the escape wheel by its teeth until it is released again on each forward swing of the balance, the ruby pallet mounted on its staff unlocking the escape wheel as it passes and allowing it to advance by one tooth at a time. The balance wheel of the detent chronometer swings almost free and undisturbed by the escapement resulting in very little friction between the components, again contributing to the overall accuracy of the watch.
Tourbillon Constant Force Escapment
The constant force escapement has a very sophisticated additional mechanism attached to the escape wheel of the watch’s movement which as the name implies, supplies a constant, equal and unchanging power charge to the lever escapement throughout the entire running period of the watch. Whilst the escapement itself is driven and powered by the mainspring via the tourbillon in the usual manner, the integral constant force mechanism discharges the power at precise intervals so that the timekeeping of the watch is unaffected by the changes in the force of the mainspring as it runs down. This means that this ingenious mechanism allows the watch to run at a constant unfluctuating rate regardless of whether the watch is fully wound or running down.
Tourbillon «Remontoir d’Egalité»
For a watch to run accurately it could be said to have two separate but integral “halves”; one half to provide the power to run the watch (the mainspring andwheels) and the other the escapement which releases that power at exact and precisely calculated intervals. The mechanism known as “remontoir d’égalité” can be thought of as a bridge between these two halves because it regularizes the supply of power and at the same time directly controls the running of the escapement. The “remontoir d’égalité” is essentially a very high-precision power transmission control mechanism to combat even the most minor negative effects on accuracy caused when the mainspring is winding down so that the accuracy of the watch is maintained and unaffected by the fluctuations in power during the entire period of running.
The “remontoir d’égalité” also corrects any possible variation in accuracy that could be caused by the mechanical action of the wheels themselves in the train between the mainspring and tourbillon. In short, the “remontoir d’égalité” compensates for any small potential error caused simply by the normal running and unwinding of a mechanical watch in the parts of the watch up to, but not including, the escapement which has its own compensatory devices. The “remontoir” achieves this by loading and releasing stored power from an extra spring on the tourbillion that is released in exactly controlled amounts, in this watch, at 10 second intervals, therefore equalizing exactly and constantly the power from the mainspring to the tourbillion.
Tourbillon Marine Chronometer balance
Change in temperature has one of the greatest negative effects on the accuracy of a watch by causing the metal to expand or contract. When the hairspring and balance expand and contract it naturally causes slight changes in the diameter and elasticity of the components and this in turn makes the watch go faster or slower. Technically speaking, it is in fact the balance spring or hairspring which is affected and during extreme changes in temperature this can cause a watch to lose or gain as much as four seconds per day. To counteract this problem, the balance wheel of the watch is specially made to compensate for these expansions and contractions. The unique balance wheel of this watch is made to allow fine adjustment to compensate for the errors in timekeeping that can be caused by fluctuations in temperature. The design is taken from the principle of the marine chronometer balance, the marine chronometer being an instrument of high-precision for navigational purposes.
In this unique watch by Vacheron Constantin, the special balance for temperature compensation is combined with the tourbillon mechanism for the correction of positional errors. The marine chronometer-type balance is very rarely found in a watch due to the skill required to both construct it and regulate it for use and almost never used in combination with the tourbillon. This watch is further testament to the excellence of workmanship of Vacheron Constantin.
For the first time, Speake-Marin combines on a single watch a minute repeater carillon, a tourbillon and an animation of the dial which brin...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
Rado's super slim True Thinline collection has added chic models in four colourful new high-tech ceramic variatons. With their detail-fr...
At SIHH 2017 luxury watch fair, Vacheron Constantin have unveiled one of the most complicated mechanical wristwatches of modern era: the L...
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
To celebrate the launch of the Bentley Continental Supersports, Breitling for Bentley has created a limited-edition chronograph with a titan...
This year, Speake-Marin unveils the new Brown Serpent Calendar featuring a curved gold guilded-steel date hand and multi-layered, satin-fini...
- ► 2016 (1563)
- Armand Nicolet O.H.M. L15 Limited Edition
- Ernest Borel Cocktail Collection
- Eterna Adventic GMT with in-house 3914A calibre
- Eterna Super KonTiki
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk Tourbillon
- CERTINA DS Action Chronograph
- CERTINA DS Stella
- Certina DS-8 Chronograph Moon Phase
- FRANC VILA FVns81 Tourbillon Réveil Manufacture (A...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Chocolate - The Special 5th ...
- Balmain Swiss Watches - Balmainia Chrono Lady Arab...
- Hublot Opens Its New Boutique in Shenyang Charter ...
- HUBLOT - Big Bang Ferrari Carbon King Gold & Big B...
- HUBLOT Big Bang Unico Bi-retrograde Chronograph fo...
- Tissot PRS 516 New Version
- Paul Picot Chrono Gentleman Minoia 2 Black DLC
- Paul Picot Atelier - The Dragon e Fish date
- Paul Picot Megarotor GMT with Grand Feu Enamel Dia...
- Harry Winston Midnight Date Moonphase Automatic 42...
- Harry Winston Midnight Diamond Stalactites Automat...
- Gc LadyChic Turquoise Python
- Gc LadyChic Collection
- Gc-3 Mechanical Chronograph Limited Edition
- Harry Winston Premier Lace 31mm
- Harry Winston Premier Precious Butterfly Automatic...
- Girard-Perregaux Vintage 1945 70th Anniversary Edi...
- Lebeau-Courally Phase De Lune
- Antoine Preziuso - The Tourbillon of Tourbillons
- JEANRICHARD Bronze Terrascope
- JEANRICHARD Blue Terrascope 44 mm (With blue textu...
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope GMT
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope Chrono Carbon Limited Editi...
- HYT H1 Cigar Limited Edition
- HYT - H2 FULL BRONZE & H2 FULL GUN
- Harry Winston Premier Shinde Automatic 36mm
- Harry Winston Avenue Dual Time Automatic
- Eberhard & Co. Gilda Grand Pavé
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Special Edition Precision...
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Limited Edition Statue of...
- Champs Élysées - Collection Rive Blanche
- Bulgari Roma 40th Anniversary Collection
- BALL Watch - The BALL for BMW TimeTrekker
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Kelvin
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Lady Glow
- Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady-Datejust 28
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Heuer 01
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Super Navigator - Av...
- BALL Watch Engineer II Volcano
- BALL Watch Engineer II Green Berets
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Aero GMT
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Moon Phase
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Skindiver II
- Milus Zetios Automatic (Reference: ZET200)
- MATHEY-TISSOT – Smart 6940PM
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Steel with Openwork Skelet...
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Rose gold & diamonds
- Manufacture Royale Androgyne Origine 245th Anniver...
- Gc Bold Chronograph, 44mm
- Fendi Timepieces – Fendi My Way Limited Editions
- Eberhard & Co. Extra‐Fort Automatic (New Dial Vers...
- Champs Élysées Collection Estelle
- CATOREX C’Attitude Voyager Quartz
- Bulgari Diagono Magnesium
- Luminox XCOR Valjoux Automatic Chronograph
- Tickoprint ® - Professional Watch Analyzer Applica...
- Luminox ANU Chronograph 4240 series
- Lebeau-Courally: Guns & Watches!!!!
- OMEGA Constellation Pluma (New Version with light ...
- OMEGA De Ville Prestige Dewdrop
- OMEGA Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon - New Vers...
- TRIARROWS launches its second crowd funding campai...
- OMEGA Speedmaster White Side of the Moon
- OMEGA Speedmaster ‘57 (New Edition)
- OMEGA Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Li...
- Luminox Navy SEAL Colormark 25th Anniversary (3050...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe
- Jean d'Eve Sectora II Automatic Black DLC
- HYT H3
- Hysek IO 45mm Skeleton Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Chronograph Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Jumping Hours Tourbillon
- Hysek Abyss 44mm Automatic Tourbillon
- Versace V-RAY Chronograph
- Versace V-METAL ICON
- Voutilainen 28 Oukamon
- Roamer Rotodate RD 100
- Roamer Superior Day Date
- ROAMER SEAROCK Ladies
- Zenith Elite 6150
- Zenith El Primero Sport
- Breguet B Crazy Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Rêve De Plume Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Reine De Naples Haute Joaillerie 8909
- Breguet Reine De Naples Princesse Mini 9807 & 9808...
- Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 70...
- Breguet Marine Chronographe “200 Ans De Marine” 58...
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Automatic Edition “AMG ...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph QEII Cup 201...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’art Savoirs Enluminé...
- ▼ March 2015 (372)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)