With its highly artistic watch collection Savoirs Enluminés, a 60-piece limited series, Vacheron Constantin takes us on a voyage of discovery to the very heart of the Middle Ages, of illuminated manuscripts and the transmission of knowledge. Savoirs Enluminés is an exceptional collection that highlights watchmaking expertise, notably due to the original hour display on its ultra-thin self-winding calibre, as well asgreat mastery of the decorative arts.
The new Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés collection draws aesthetic inspiration from the Aberdeen Bestiary, an ancient Celtic manuscript recovered from the Middle Ages that is internationally recognised for the quality of its miniaturized illuminations. The art of miniaturisation, designed to emphatically celebrate a sizeable body of handwritten literature, is a complex technique requiring extensive collaboration between scribes, painters and gilders in the creation of veritable works of art.
Its natural affinities with the world of watchmaking are particularly apparent in the new Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés collection. Over and above the exceptional beauty of the Aberdeen Bestiary, Vacheron Constantin pays tribute to the transmission of knowledge that these manuscripts symbolize. An adventure that leads us to encounter a veritable legend, all too rarely revealed to the public, and yet almost universally shared by Eastern and Western cultures.
The Aberdeen Bestiary was commissioned in the 12th century. This “book of beasts”, conveying a wide range of knowledge and beliefs, is filled with information that is key to understanding the evolution of humankind while exalting the power of metaphor. In the Middle Ages, this rhetorical procedure was very common and the symbolic role of the animal was credited with human feelings and character traits. The animal did not exist for what it was, but rather to represent the wonders of Creation. It taught knowledge, but above all transmitted moral precepts. Animals were variously used to convey dreams, conquests or power, and regularly appeared in fables and satirical novels. The art of illustration was an integral part of this educational vocation. The creatures represented in a figurative painting style with great colour intensity and highly detailed drawings often feature fantastical attributes resulting in a strikingly modern graphic appearance
The extremely high-quality illuminations in the Aberdeen Bestiary are painted on a gold background, barely burnished by time. They reveal colours, mainly blues and pinks and which remain extremely intense, with white having been used to accentuate the curves and shapes of the bodies. The artists required enormous imagination to draw these incredible animals that they had never seen.
Over and above their undeniable cultural value, the miniatures found in the Aberdeen Bestiary are a perfect example of a combination of talent. The illuminator and the gilder succeeded in perfectly matching their actions on the 103 folios of which the work consists. Like watchmaking, the manuscripts of the era passed through the hands of several master craftsmen and, step by step, each artisan made an essential contribution to the composition. On a parchment prepared by hand, the copyist monks hand inscribed the body of the text, leaving space with indications regarding the application of the gilding and the illuminations intended to structure the body of the text. Following this, the gilder applied the gold leaf. Finally the illuminator created his miniature directly on the fine layer of gold including the sketch, mixing of natural pigments and colouring by layer – an art requiring both coordination and precision.
Similarly, the Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés collection contributes to perpetuating this mind-set through timepieces that embody Art born of the collaboration between master craftsmen.
Marrying original watchmaking techniques and skilled artistic crafts in the Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés collection, Vacheron Constantin pays homage to the art of miniature through superb enamelled reinterpretations. Ancient illuminators worked according to standards that are identical to those of enamellers, with the same actions that imbue a precious object with an emotional language that is both manifold and universal. To achieve a piece that emanates true intensity, the artisans must first perfectly understand the possibilities and constraints of each technique. Their inspiration is nourished by influences and experiences. Only in this way will they be able to give the best of themselves and offer true authenticity.
The Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés collection comprises three 20-piece limited edition timepieces, each illustrated with an animal from the Aberdeen Bestiary.
The first of this trio is the “Altion”, a beautiful seabird linked to water, building its nest on the seas, no matter what the weather, and symbolising serenity (an extract from folio 54v). The care given to its blue green plumage, the elegance of its wings and the flexibility of its posture perfectly fit the circular shape of the dial.
This successful demonstration of Vacheron Constantin’s mechanical genius is protected by a broad 18-carat gold shaped case. The name of the animal portrayed on the dial is faithfully engraved along the side exactly accordance with the original script. Finally, the transparent case-back is protected by a sapphire crystal affording a chance to admire the qualities of the self-winding movement, as well as its gold oscillating weight with a tapestry-like motif.
Collection: Métiers d’Art Savoirs Enluminés
Hallmark of Geneva certified timepieces
Only available in Vacheron Constantin Boutiques
7000S/000G-B001 - Vultures
7000S/000G-B002 - Caper
7000S/000G-B003 - Altion
Caliber 1120 AT
Developed and manufactured by Vacheron Constantin
Mechanical self-winding, with dragging hours additional mechanism
32.80 mm (12’’’½) diameter
5.45 mm thick
Approximately 40 hours of power reserve
2.75 Hz (19’800 vibrations/hour)
Time indicated by Arabic numerals mounted on satellite-wheels
The hours move one after the other across a 120° scale located on the lower dial
18K white gold
40 x 49.45 mm, 10.30 mm thick
Transparent sapphire crystal caseback
Water-resistance tested at a pressure of 3 bar (approx. 30 meters)
Name of the inspiration model engraved on caseband
- Upper dial: hand-textured champlevé gold base with Grand Feu miniature enamelling
- Lower dial: polished letters in relief on a grained gold base
Brown Mississippiensis alligator leather strap, hand-stitched, saddlefinish, large square scales
Buckle: 18K white gold triple blade folding clasp
Polished half Maltese cross-shaped
Delivered with a magnifying glass, a pair of gloves and a dedicated brochure to better showcase the craftsmanship and technicality behind these creations
Limited edition of 20 pieces for each model
« N°X/20 » engraved on the back of each timepiece
Note: Latin text from the Aberdeen Bestiary (folios 80 & 81) adorning the lower dial - “Natura dicta eo quod nasci aliquid faciat, gignendi enim et faciendi potens est. Vita dicta propter vigo rem vel quod vim teneat nascendi atque crescendo” (English translation - Nature, natura, is so called because it brings a thing to birth, nasci for it has the power to beget and to form. Life, vita, is so called from vigor, 'active power', because it has within it the force of birth and growth.)
The Aberdeen Bestiary
The Aberdeen Bestiary was initially listed in 1542, during an inventory of the Old Royal Library in Westminster Palace. It was however written and illuminated long before, in around 1200. Aside from the beauty of its illuminations, it reveals all the uniqueness of medieval thinking, characterised by this highly categorised approach of the fear of the world. A means of arranging knowledge that is also found in other cultures of the time, notably in the Middle East and the Far East, and which strives to formulate factual descriptions through a symbolic, moralist approach applied in a systematic manner. An understanding shared by everyone, clearly inspired by the Physiologus, a Greek text dating from the 11thcentury found in Alexandria, and founder of many encyclopaedic manuscripts all over the world.
The Aberdeen Bestiary is arranged on a hierarchical basis in 11 chapters: the creation of the world,
wild animals, domestic animals, small animals, birds, snakes and reptiles, worms, fish, trees and plants, human nature and finally, minerals. Today it is preciously kept in the library of the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. This extremely rare object has only been exhibited to the public on one occasion, in 2012, during the inauguration of the new library at the University of Aberdeen. In order to remain preciously preserved from light and damp, it can only be observed for 30 minutes a day.
A futuristic extrapolation of a 19th century movement architecture now considered to be the historical signature of the Manufacture Girard-P...
In honour of a pioneer who inspired generations of scientists after him from Newton to Einstein, the high end writing instrument specialist ...
The Da Vinci Automatic wristwatch from this year’s Da Vinci edition, is a classically simple watch with three hands in a 40-millimetre round...
Young watch brand Straton Watch Co. is launching their latest addition, the Syncro, a stylish timepiece collection inspired by 1970s stopwat...
Founded by Nicolas Bartschat and Fabian Weis, the young watch brand Styrman & Crew is creating a new trend in the watch industry. Since ...
In 2017, Audemars Piguet presents a new women’s Royal Oak with a uniquely gem-set look defined by a swirling diamond relief pattern that gli...
BRELLUM is a young and independent Swiss watchmaking brand based at Porrentruy in the canton of Jura, the region better known as the cradle ...
British jeweller and watch maker Mo Eden presents his first men’s wristwatch: the MK1. Hand made in London’s Hatton Garden, the watch is bes...
Prestigious Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin announces the appointments of Juan Carlos Torres as non-executive President, and of ...
Re-Belle, the wonderful ladies’ watch collection from the luxury Swiss watch brand CVSTOS, now welcome new iterations. After a first succes...
- ► 2016 (1572)
- Armand Nicolet O.H.M. L15 Limited Edition
- Ernest Borel Cocktail Collection
- Eterna Adventic GMT with in-house 3914A calibre
- Eterna Super KonTiki
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk Tourbillon
- CERTINA DS Action Chronograph
- CERTINA DS Stella
- Certina DS-8 Chronograph Moon Phase
- FRANC VILA FVns81 Tourbillon Réveil Manufacture (A...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Chocolate - The Special 5th ...
- Balmain Swiss Watches - Balmainia Chrono Lady Arab...
- Hublot Opens Its New Boutique in Shenyang Charter ...
- HUBLOT - Big Bang Ferrari Carbon King Gold & Big B...
- HUBLOT Big Bang Unico Bi-retrograde Chronograph fo...
- Tissot PRS 516 New Version
- Paul Picot Chrono Gentleman Minoia 2 Black DLC
- Paul Picot Atelier - The Dragon e Fish date
- Paul Picot Megarotor GMT with Grand Feu Enamel Dia...
- Harry Winston Midnight Date Moonphase Automatic 42...
- Harry Winston Midnight Diamond Stalactites Automat...
- Gc LadyChic Turquoise Python
- Gc LadyChic Collection
- Gc-3 Mechanical Chronograph Limited Edition
- Harry Winston Premier Lace 31mm
- Harry Winston Premier Precious Butterfly Automatic...
- Girard-Perregaux Vintage 1945 70th Anniversary Edi...
- Lebeau-Courally Phase De Lune
- Antoine Preziuso - The Tourbillon of Tourbillons
- JEANRICHARD Bronze Terrascope
- JEANRICHARD Blue Terrascope 44 mm (With blue textu...
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope GMT
- JEANRICHARD Terrascope Chrono Carbon Limited Editi...
- HYT H1 Cigar Limited Edition
- HYT - H2 FULL BRONZE & H2 FULL GUN
- Harry Winston Premier Shinde Automatic 36mm
- Harry Winston Avenue Dual Time Automatic
- Eberhard & Co. Gilda Grand Pavé
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Special Edition Precision...
- Bulova 140th Anniversary Limited Edition Statue of...
- Champs Élysées - Collection Rive Blanche
- Bulgari Roma 40th Anniversary Collection
- BALL Watch - The BALL for BMW TimeTrekker
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Kelvin
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Lady Glow
- Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady-Datejust 28
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Heuer 01
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Super Navigator - Av...
- BALL Watch Engineer II Volcano
- BALL Watch Engineer II Green Berets
- BALL Watch Engineer Hydrocarbon Aero GMT
- BALL Watch Trainmaster Moon Phase
- BALL Watch Engineer Master II Skindiver II
- Milus Zetios Automatic (Reference: ZET200)
- MATHEY-TISSOT – Smart 6940PM
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Steel with Openwork Skelet...
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Rose gold & diamonds
- Manufacture Royale Androgyne Origine 245th Anniver...
- Gc Bold Chronograph, 44mm
- Fendi Timepieces – Fendi My Way Limited Editions
- Eberhard & Co. Extra‐Fort Automatic (New Dial Vers...
- Champs Élysées Collection Estelle
- CATOREX C’Attitude Voyager Quartz
- Bulgari Diagono Magnesium
- Luminox XCOR Valjoux Automatic Chronograph
- Tickoprint ® - Professional Watch Analyzer Applica...
- Luminox ANU Chronograph 4240 series
- Lebeau-Courally: Guns & Watches!!!!
- OMEGA Constellation Pluma (New Version with light ...
- OMEGA De Ville Prestige Dewdrop
- OMEGA Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon - New Vers...
- TRIARROWS launches its second crowd funding campai...
- OMEGA Speedmaster White Side of the Moon
- OMEGA Speedmaster ‘57 (New Edition)
- OMEGA Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Li...
- Luminox Navy SEAL Colormark 25th Anniversary (3050...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe
- Jean d'Eve Sectora II Automatic Black DLC
- HYT H3
- Hysek IO 45mm Skeleton Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Chronograph Tourbillon
- Hysek IO 45mm Jumping Hours Tourbillon
- Hysek Abyss 44mm Automatic Tourbillon
- Versace V-RAY Chronograph
- Versace V-METAL ICON
- Voutilainen 28 Oukamon
- Roamer Rotodate RD 100
- Roamer Superior Day Date
- ROAMER SEAROCK Ladies
- Zenith Elite 6150
- Zenith El Primero Sport
- Breguet B Crazy Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Rêve De Plume Haute Joaillerie
- Breguet Reine De Naples Haute Joaillerie 8909
- Breguet Reine De Naples Princesse Mini 9807 & 9808...
- Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 70...
- Breguet Marine Chronographe “200 Ans De Marine” 58...
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Automatic Edition “AMG ...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph QEII Cup 201...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’art Savoirs Enluminé...
- ▼ March 2015 (372)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)