This highly symbolic year for Caran d’Ache marks one hundred years of creativity based on a love of colour and the art of writing.
Approximately 90 crafts are practised at the Geneva Company and, to celebrate this wide range of expertise, it has created an outstanding collection of five unique writing instruments: the Collection Privée, dedicated to art in general, the art of enamelling in particular, and the history of Geneva. This collection was created in association with the artist and master enameller, Andrée Peaudecerf.
Andrée Peaudecerf worked for many years at Caran d’Ache as a painter and decorative artist. She also excelled at the very rare craft of miniature painting in enamel, an art she had studied at the Geneva School of Decorative Arts. Geneva has a long and exceptional tradition in enamelling, and she followed in the footsteps of master miniaturists and cabinotier watchmakers. Today she is one of the very few artists still working in this highly refined technique. Because she has always kept a place in her heart for Caran d’Ache, two years ago she started a discussion with its president, Carole Hubscher about creating a unique series of writing instruments in honour of the company’s centenary and the history of Geneva.
That discussion led to the five writing instruments in the Collection Privée decorated with the emblems of Geneva’s cultural history. Four miniature frescos, painted in enamel on the solid gold body of the fountain pens, paying tribute to the humanitarian, scientific and artistic facets of Geneva, as well as to the bicentenary of its entry into the Swiss Confederation. A fifth subject is the Caran d’Ache centenary. The Collection Privée brings together the three worlds of Caran d’Ache: Art, Colours and Fine Writing.
Five unique writing instruments. Fountain pens in 18-carat solid gold, each with an enamel miniature hand-painted by Andrée Peaudecerf. Tips and caps in authentic black Chinese lacquer, applied by hand in the ancient traditional method.
Caran d’Ache 1915: The enamel scene on the body of the fountain pen portrays the historical character of Caran d’Ache. Founded in 1915 as the “Fabrique genevoise de crayons” it was renamed “Caran d’Ache” in 1924, as a tribute to the famous Russian-born French carricaturist, Emmanuel Poiré known as ‘Caran d’Ache’.
Henri Dunant: Geneva’s humanitarian character is the subject of the enamel miniature painting of the Battle of Solferino fought on 24 June 1859 between the armies of Napoleon III and the Austrian Emperor Franz Joseph.
Horace-Bénédict de Saussure: Geneva’s scientific character is evoked in the enamel miniature painting showing the first ascension of the Mont-Blanc which was organised by the Geneva scientist Horace-Bénédict de Saussure in 1786.
Ernest Ansermet: Geneva’s artistic character is represented in the enamel miniature that depicts the great orchestral conductor and musicologist, Ernest Ansermatt. He had a profound influence on European cultural life in the 20th century. In 1918, he founded the “Orchestre de la Suisse Romande” in Geneva, which he led until 1967.
Geneva, 1815: This enamel miniature celebrates the bicentenary of Geneva’s entry into the Swiss Confederation. The start of the 19th century was a key period for the city which, in the space of two years, gained its independence and became the 22nd Swiss canton.
The art of enamelling
Enamelling has been practised since ancient times to decorate particularly precious objects. Unlike other decorative arts, enamelling uses its own specific materials and techniques. When fired to a high temperature, the enamels vitrify and consolidate to present a perfectly finished surface. Very few enamellers have mastered the different forms of this ancient craft: enamel can be champlevé, cloisonné, mixed or painted. It was highly admired by Geneva artists in the 17th century, and even today it often borrows from medieval illuminated manuscripts but, of course, while parchment can deteriorate enamel is eternal.
Andrée Peaudecerf is one of the very few artists still working in this refined, secretive technique which has very close links to the history of decoration in Geneva. She attended one of the first enamel classes at the Geneva School of Decorative Arts and went on to experiment with mural painting, frescos, stained glass and mosaic. In the 1960s, she lived at Sète in the South of France where she painted freely, inspired by the colourful life of the port. Back in Geneva with her family, she began her long career as a decorative artist at Caran d’Ache. She acquired an enamel oven and rediscovered her love of this extraordinary technique.
For the first time, Speake-Marin combines on a single watch a minute repeater carillon, a tourbillon and an animation of the dial which brin...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
At SIHH 2017 luxury watch fair, Vacheron Constantin have unveiled one of the most complicated mechanical wristwatches of modern era: the L...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
Rado's super slim True Thinline collection has added chic models in four colourful new high-tech ceramic variatons. With their detail-fr...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
Richard Mille presents the world’s lightest split-seconds tourbillon chronograph: the RM 50-03 McLAREN F1. This innovative technical masterp...
This year, Speake-Marin unveils the new Brown Serpent Calendar featuring a curved gold guilded-steel date hand and multi-layered, satin-fini...
- ► 2016 (1563)
- Hublot Big Bang UNICO Chronograph Retrograde Kobe ...
- Ralph Lauren Stirrup Petite-Link Steel with Mother...
- Breitling Superocean II 36
- ANONIMO NAUTILO
- ANONIMO MILITARE CLASSIC
- ANONIMO Watches - Brand Info
- Arnold & Son UTTE (New References)
- Chopard Mille Miglia GTS Collection - Automatic, P...
- Luminox RECON Leader Chronograph 8840 Series
- Louis Erard 1931 Chrono Vintage Limited Edition
- Van Der Bauwede Stardust Collection
- Van Der Bauwede SNAKE Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Shamrock Collection
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Garden
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Divine Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Legend Beverly
- DAVOSA Black Military Vintage Automatic
- Liu Jo Luxury Graduation Award on accessible luxur...
- Fine Arts News - Kirsty Mitchell ‘WONDERLAND’ Priv...
- Corum Admiral’s Cup Legend 42 Colette X Thomas Erb...
- Snyper Two Collection (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Pocket So H
- Rado opens its first mono-brand boutique in Switze...
- IWC Schaffhausen Spitfire Perpetual Calendar Digit...
- Techné «French Anti-Gang Police» Limited Edition
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph “Italy Limit...
- Christopher Ward C8 P7350 Chronometer Limited Edit...
- NOBEL – Nobel Master
- Mauron Musy Lady Marmak Collection
- HERMÈS – Slim d’Hermès La femme aux semelles de ve...
- Hermès Clipper Sport
- Hermès Arceau Chrono Bridon (New Models - 2015)
- Hermès Clipper (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès Cape Cod Tonneau Gem-Set Rose Gold
- Hermès Arceau Le temps Suspendu Rose Gold
- Cyrus Klepcys Réveil
- Silvana Watches – Introduction & History
- Tissot Vintage
- Tissot T-Touch Expert (New Version)
- Tissot Flamingo
- “GENEVA AT THE HEART OF TIME – The Origin of Swiss...
- Dwiss Brasilia Limited Edition
- Alexander Shorokhoff “Alzenau” Collection
- Urban Jürgensen – New Collection 2015 - 1140L Leve...
- Chronoswiss Timemaster 150
- RAYMOND WEIL NEW TOCCATA
- Swarovski Watches - New Crystalline Oval
- Hermès Arceau Skeleton Steel
- Swarovski Octea Classica
- Louis Erard - EXCELLENCE SKELETON & 1931 SMALL SEC...
- Wenger Urban Watch Collection
- Wenger Attitude Watch Collection
- Wenger Roadster
- Wenger Edge Watch Collection
- MILUS Tirion Triretrograde TIRI200
- Adriatica Ladies 3811.51B3CH
- ADRIATICA 8212.R264CH
- Schwarz Etienne Ode à la Semaine (LA CHAUX-DE-FOND...
- Alexander Shorokhoff “BARBARA“Limited Edition
- Magellan Watch: Brand Profile, History and Product...
- Magellan Watches - 1521 Flowers
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Attitude Automatic
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Tradition
- CATOREX «1858 » C’ Vintage Limited Edition
- CATOREX « 1858 » C’Pure
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Chrono Tradition
- CATOREX C’TWINN
- Bulova Accu•Swiss Treble Collection Manchester Uni...
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines 100 Dia...
- Longines DolceVita
- Longines Elegant Collection
- Citizen becomes the first-ever watch company to wi...
- Longines Ladies Diamond Conquest
- Romano Alberti O-YOROI watch
- SCHWARZ ETIENNE Roswell Manufacture
- Hublot Celebrates the Cricket World Cup Victory wi...
- Swiss Watch Brand CLERC Launches New Ocean Conserv...
- Tutima M2 Chronograph
- Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44
- Caran d’Ache “Spirit of Switzerland” Writing Instr...
- Caran d’Ache Collection Privée
- Caran d’Ache 100th Anniversary Collection
- Caran d’Ache “Year of the Goat” Limited Edition
- URWERK UR-105 TA
- Racing Star Dean Stoneman Is New Brand Ambassador ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot’s Watch Edition “Le Pet...
- Montblanc Meisterstück Miracle Pine Tree Writing I...
- Cabestan Triple Axis Tourbillon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Perspective Cavalière
- Hermès Cape Cod GMT
- Dietlin – Raptor 2 Display Case for Luxury Watches...
- ZANNETTI Magnificum Goat Limited Edition
- CITIZEN Satellite Wave F100 Limited Edition
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture (New Versions)...
- IWC Schaffhausen Celebrates Annual Tribeca Film Fe...
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Vintage Limited Edit...
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Date Gold
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Moon Phase Gold
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Open Gold
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Perpetual Calendar Digi...
- ▼ April 2015 (300)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)