On April 23rd, 2015, the “Geneva at the Heart of Time – The Origin of Swiss Watchmaking Culture” exhibition organized by Capital Museum, China in collaboration with Museum of Art and History, Geneva and Vacheron Constantin was officially opened in Capital Museum, China. In the context of the 65thanniversary of bilateral relations between Switzerland and People’s Republic of China, it is the first ever Swiss horological exhibition in Capital Museum.
The Capital Museum was previously located in the Beijing Confucius Temple, where it was opened to the public in 1981. The Beijing Municipal government arranged for the construction of a new museum and put great effort into this important project in 1999. The new building finally made its debut in December 2005 after four years hard work and was officially opened to the public in May 2006.
The Capital Museum today houses more than 200,000 cultural relics. There is no shortage of precious items renowned in China and abroad in its collection which is mostly from the Yuan, Ming, Qing dynasties, including Buddhist statues, ceramics, calligraphy and paintings, bronze ware, jade ware, stone carvings, coins, seals, embroidery, bamboo carvings, wood carvings, ivory carvings, stationery, folk arts and crafts, etc.
Permanent exhibitions include Ancient Capital-History and Culture of Beijing, Folk Customs in Old Beijing, and some others focused on art presenting historical romance, cultural tastes, conventional wisdom, and artistic preferences of people in Beijing. There are currently no fewer than 5,600 exhibits on display.
The Capital Museum has extensive collaborative programs with other well-known museums of the world. A number of special exhibitions are organized and presented to the public each year; more than 200 of them have been held at the museum. Since 2006, the museum has collaborated with the British Museum to present Treasures of the World's Cultures: the British Museum after 250 Years, and with the Louvre Museum to present Treasure Exhibition Ancient Greek Art. The museum cooperated with many museums to present China Exhibits: 5,000 Years of Cultural Treasures and Beijing Fine Cultural Relics during the time the 2008 Olympic Games took place in Beijing. Many foreign political leaders as well as the General Secretaries of the CPC (Communist Partyof China) Jiang Zemin, Hu Jintao, Xi Jinping, have visited the museum.
In 2014, for the coordination of APEC and other cultural activities in Beijing, Capital Museum planned and held several exhibitions as follows: Sensational Land: Treasures of Jiangxi, Sailing Far and Wide on the Sea: Exhibition of Treasures from the Maritime Silk Road, Emperor Qianlong’s Private Garden, Harmonious Life: The State of Ba in the Eyes of a Yan Princess, Water and Our Life: South-to-North Water Diversion Project, Smile of Khmer: Cambodian Ancient Cultural Relics and Art, and Amazing Culture of the Chu State.
About Museum of Art & History, Geneva
Opened in October, 1910 in the old city, Geneva Museum of Art and History is one of the biggest pluri-disciplinary museums of Switzerland.
While the building was designed by Marc Camoletti an architect son of the city, whose architecture is typical for the “Beaux-Arts style” en vogue at the time in France, its collections largely date back to the musée Rath, one of the first art museums in Europe, which opened 1826.However, the aim of the "Grand musée" of 1910 was to reunite the city's collections of applied art, archaeology and fine arts within one institution. Since before, horology and enamels were famous around Europe as one of the most important and interesting public collection.
Separated in view to be presented in a thematic museum known as Musée de l’horlogerie et de l’émaillerie de Genève (1972-2002), the impressive collections of clocks and watches, enamels, jewels and miniatures, join back the main building in 2010.
With masterpieces, precious various objects and also studies items created both by the outstanding local industry and by abroad artists, the Geneva’s collection of horology proposes a look at the trades and art crafts practised in the Geneva Fabrique (manufactory) especially between 17th and 19th century.
In a region which saw the historical birth of watchmaking, it allows to understand horology in an international context that testifies to the art of timekeeping that was developed in Europe from the 16th to the 21st century.
Although Geneva is at the heart of the collections, the works are placed in an international context that testifies to the art of timekeeping that was developed in Europe from the 16th to the 20th century, and of which the Museum’s collection provides an abundant and high quality reflection.
From the cabinotier himself to the atelier he toiled in, viewers can follow the evolution of Geneva’s watchmakers, engravers, rose engine turners, chasers and enamellers; they can admire the enamelled watches and jewels that were the Fabrique’s speciality, appreciate the timepieces decorated in the Oriental style, contemplate miniature masterpieces, and understand the close ties maintained between the Fabrique artisans and the renowned portraitists that were honoured in the courts of Europe.
The world of the Fabrique is not just evoked or reconstituted: it lives on, in a space where the watchmaker’s workbench, the jeweller’s atelier and the enameller’s abandoned paintbrush belong to Geneva’s collective memory.
Geneva Museum of Art and History shall temporarily close its doors at the end of 2016, as it plans a vast renovation and extension of its historical building, under the direction of the famous French architect Jean Nouvel, in order to fit the expectations of the visitors of the 21st century.
Saturday, April 25, 2015
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
- ► 2016 (1573)
- Hublot Big Bang UNICO Chronograph Retrograde Kobe ...
- Ralph Lauren Stirrup Petite-Link Steel with Mother...
- Breitling Superocean II 36
- ANONIMO NAUTILO
- ANONIMO MILITARE CLASSIC
- Arnold & Son UTTE (New References)
- Chopard Mille Miglia GTS Collection - Automatic, P...
- Luminox RECON Leader Chronograph 8840 Series
- Louis Erard 1931 Chrono Vintage Limited Edition
- Van Der Bauwede Stardust Collection
- Van Der Bauwede SNAKE Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Shamrock Collection
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Garden
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Divine Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Legend Beverly
- DAVOSA Black Military Vintage Automatic
- Liu Jo Luxury Graduation Award on accessible luxur...
- Fine Arts News - Kirsty Mitchell ‘WONDERLAND’ Priv...
- Corum Admiral’s Cup Legend 42 Colette X Thomas Erb...
- Snyper Two Collection (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Pocket So H
- Rado opens its first mono-brand boutique in Switze...
- IWC Schaffhausen Spitfire Perpetual Calendar Digit...
- Techné «French Anti-Gang Police» Limited Edition
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph “Italy Limit...
- Christopher Ward C8 P7350 Chronometer Limited Edit...
- NOBEL – Nobel Master
- Mauron Musy Lady Marmak Collection
- HERMÈS – Slim d’Hermès La femme aux semelles de ve...
- Hermès Clipper Sport
- Hermès Arceau Chrono Bridon (New Models - 2015)
- Hermès Clipper (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès Cape Cod Tonneau Gem-Set Rose Gold
- Hermès Arceau Le temps Suspendu Rose Gold
- Cyrus Klepcys Réveil
- Silvana Watches – Introduction & History
- Tissot Vintage
- Tissot T-Touch Expert (New Version)
- Tissot Flamingo
- “GENEVA AT THE HEART OF TIME – The Origin of Swiss...
- Dwiss Brasilia Limited Edition
- Alexander Shorokhoff “Alzenau” Collection
- Urban Jürgensen – New Collection 2015 - 1140L Leve...
- Chronoswiss Timemaster 150
- RAYMOND WEIL NEW TOCCATA
- Swarovski Watches - New Crystalline Oval
- Hermès Arceau Skeleton Steel
- Swarovski Octea Classica
- Louis Erard - EXCELLENCE SKELETON & 1931 SMALL SEC...
- Wenger Urban Watch Collection
- Wenger Attitude Watch Collection
- Wenger Roadster
- Wenger Edge Watch Collection
- MILUS Tirion Triretrograde TIRI200
- Adriatica Ladies 3811.51B3CH
- ADRIATICA 8212.R264CH
- Schwarz Etienne Ode à la Semaine (LA CHAUX-DE-FOND...
- Alexander Shorokhoff “BARBARA“Limited Edition
- Magellan Watch: Brand Profile, History and Product...
- Magellan Watches - 1521 Flowers
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Attitude Automatic
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Tradition
- CATOREX «1858 » C’ Vintage Limited Edition
- CATOREX « 1858 » C’Pure
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Chrono Tradition
- CATOREX C’TWINN
- Bulova Accu•Swiss Treble Collection Manchester Uni...
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines 100 Dia...
- Longines DolceVita
- Longines Elegant Collection
- Citizen becomes the first-ever watch company to wi...
- Longines Ladies Diamond Conquest
- Romano Alberti O-YOROI watch
- SCHWARZ ETIENNE Roswell Manufacture
- Hublot Celebrates the Cricket World Cup Victory wi...
- Swiss Watch Brand CLERC Launches New Ocean Conserv...
- Tutima M2 Chronograph
- Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44
- Caran d’Ache “Spirit of Switzerland” Writing Instr...
- Caran d’Ache Collection Privée
- Caran d’Ache 100th Anniversary Collection
- Caran d’Ache “Year of the Goat” Limited Edition
- URWERK UR-105 TA
- Racing Star Dean Stoneman Is New Brand Ambassador ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot’s Watch Edition “Le Pet...
- Montblanc Meisterstück Miracle Pine Tree Writing I...
- Cabestan Triple Axis Tourbillon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Perspective Cavalière
- Hermès Cape Cod GMT
- Dietlin – Raptor 2 Display Case for Luxury Watches...
- ZANNETTI Magnificum Goat Limited Edition
- CITIZEN Satellite Wave F100 Limited Edition
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture (New Versions)...
- IWC Schaffhausen Celebrates Annual Tribeca Film Fe...
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Vintage Limited Edit...
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Date Gold
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Moon Phase Gold
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Open Gold
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Perpetual Calendar Digi...
- Jaquet Droz - The Charming Bird in Pink Gold
- ▼ April 2015 (299)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)