This year Rolex welcomes a new generation self winding calibre to its family of high precision manufacture watch movements. A compelling example of avant-garde watchmaking technology, the brand new Calibre 3255 self-winding mechanical movement is entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex.
Calibre 3255’s criteria for precision in everyday wear are twice as exacting as those for an officially certified chronometer. Its superlative accuracy is tested by Rolex after the movement has been cased, using high-technology equipment and an exclusive methodology that simulates the conditions in which a watch is actually worn. Its power reserve extends to three days (approximately 70 hours), representing an increase of 24 hours (or 50 per cent) compared to that of the previous generation. This means that the watch will easily continue to run over a weekend without needing to be rewound. Calibre 3255 is impervious to magnetic interferences beyond the values encountered in daily life.
Calibre 3255 is backed by 14 patents and a number of innovative technological solutions relating not only to component design but also to processes involving new technologies that push back the limits of current production methods. More than 90 per cent of the movement parts have been redesigned and optimized, from those that produce and store energy (self-winding module and mainspring) to the regulating organ responsible for precision (oscillator), the gear train and the escapement. The escapement, which transmits the impulses required to maintain the oscillator’s steady beat, is enhanced by a major innovation patented by Rolex under the name Chronergy.
Rolex engineers devised and patented a new escapement that optimizes the efficiency of the Swiss lever escapement, the standard in Swiss watchmaking, but which has seen only limited technical evolution over the last 50 years. While favoured by watchmakers for its great reliability, the Swiss lever escapement has always suffered from low efficiency, relaying to the oscillator barely more than a third of the energy it receives from the mainspring via the gear train. The result of extensive research, the geometry of the new Rolex Chronergy escapement improves the efficiency of this key component by 15 per cent. Almost half of the increased power reserve of calibre 3255 can be ascribed to the escapement itself. Made of nickel- phosphorus, the Chronergy escapement is, furthermore, insensitive to magnetic interferences.
The exceptional performance of calibre 3255 is the result of years of research and development on horological components by Rolex engineers. It is also made possible by the Manufacture’s in-house expertise, covering all processes involved in movement production. This know-how has pushed back the boundaries of production methods in terms of precision and tolerances, leading to enhanced component quality and performance. For example, through high- precision machining, the thickness of the walls of the barrel has been reduced by 50 per cent, resulting in a more than 10-hour gain in autonomy. The synthetic ruby pallet stones on the new Chronergy escapement’s pallet fork measure a mere 125 microns, 50 per cent less than those of the previous generation. A threefold enhancement in the poise of the oscillator balance wheel was made possible thanks to precision manufacturing. High-technology processes are also used, such as LiGA (micro-manufacturing by electro forming) to produce the paramagnetic pallet fork and escape wheel of the new Chronergy escapement.
Calibre 3255 benefits from new, updated aesthetics, both in the shape and arrangement of the bridges as well as in their meticulous, traditional decoration. The aesthetics have evolved while preserving the characteristic features of Rolex Perpetual movements, such as the red reversing wheels of the self-winding module, the golden yellow sinks, and the traversing balance bridge. Calibre 3255 consequently remains firmly in the aesthetic lineage of Oyster watch movements.
The Chronergy escapement of calibre 3255, developed and patented by Rolex, is an optimized version of the Swiss lever escapement, the standard escapement used in mechanical watches. The Chronergy escapement enhances the Swiss lever escapement’s energy efficiency while preserving the reliability for which it is renowned. In order to develop greater efficiency, Rolex engineers analysed the functioning of the Swiss lever escapement using cutting-edge observation methods and numerical modelling to isolate the parameters that needed modification. Surprisingly, the solution they arrived at ran counter to prevailing horological thinking: the length ratios between the escape wheel teeth and the pallet stones were reversed. While the thickness of the pallet stones has been reduced by half, the contact surfaces of the escape wheel teeth have been doubled.
Moreover, the escapement system is no longer in alignment but slightly offset, affording greater distance between the pallet fork and the balance wheel, thus multiplying the lever effect.The pallet fork and escape wheel are made of nickel-phosphorus to be insensitive to magnetic interferences. The pallet stones are synthetic rubies, as in a conventional escapement. The escape wheel has a cut-out design to make it lighter and reduce its inertia. Together, these modifications to the geometry have increased the efficiency of the escapement by 15 per cent, contributing to almost half of the gain in calibre 3255’s power reserve.
The efficiency of the gear train has been optimized. Rolex has also developed, and synthesizes in-house, exclusive new high performance lubricants with a considerably longer useful life and greater stability over time. Rolex is the only independent watch manufacturer to develop and synthesize its own lubricants.
To increase the capacity of the mainspring in calibre 3255 without increasing the size of the barrel housing it, Rolex decided to optimize the space inside the barrel by reducing the thickness of its walls by half. This solution represented a considerable challenge both for machining and for the production process, pushing back the boundaries of current production methods. The resulting gain in space allowed for the accommodation of a mainspring with greater capacity, thereby increasing the movement’s autonomy by more than 10 hours.
Calibre 3255 is equipped with a self-winding module with a new-generation Perpetual rotor, for more rapid winding of the new high-capacity mainspring. The reversing wheel system enables winding in either direction of the weight rotation. This system has been optimized to reinforce its efficiency whatever the activity of the wearer. The now monobloc oscillating weight has been cut-out to absorb shocks. It is fitted on a ball bearing and is held at its centre by a single screw, thereby facilitating assembly.
The setting interface of calibre 3255 is more ergonomic and user-friendly. The stops marking the positions of the winding crown are distinct and easily sensed. The setting system has been optimized, making for faster day and date adjustment. Time setting is very precise with no play. The calendar can be corrected at any time with no restrictions, thanks to retractable fingers inside the mechanism.
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
TAG Heuer expands its AQUARACER watch series with two Commando styled watches. Available in two versions - Arctic and Jungle - the Aquarace...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
To be unveiled at Baselworld 2017, the new Sport Classic collection pays tribute to EBEL’s formidable craftsmanship during the 1970s and 198...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
- ► 2016 (1573)
- Hublot Big Bang UNICO Chronograph Retrograde Kobe ...
- Ralph Lauren Stirrup Petite-Link Steel with Mother...
- Breitling Superocean II 36
- ANONIMO NAUTILO
- ANONIMO MILITARE CLASSIC
- Arnold & Son UTTE (New References)
- Chopard Mille Miglia GTS Collection - Automatic, P...
- Luminox RECON Leader Chronograph 8840 Series
- Louis Erard 1931 Chrono Vintage Limited Edition
- Van Der Bauwede Stardust Collection
- Van Der Bauwede SNAKE Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Shamrock Collection
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Garden
- Van Der Bauwede NEB-K Divine Collection
- Van Der Bauwede Legend Beverly
- DAVOSA Black Military Vintage Automatic
- Liu Jo Luxury Graduation Award on accessible luxur...
- Fine Arts News - Kirsty Mitchell ‘WONDERLAND’ Priv...
- Corum Admiral’s Cup Legend 42 Colette X Thomas Erb...
- Snyper Two Collection (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Pocket So H
- Rado opens its first mono-brand boutique in Switze...
- IWC Schaffhausen Spitfire Perpetual Calendar Digit...
- Techné «French Anti-Gang Police» Limited Edition
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph “Italy Limit...
- Christopher Ward C8 P7350 Chronometer Limited Edit...
- NOBEL – Nobel Master
- Mauron Musy Lady Marmak Collection
- HERMÈS – Slim d’Hermès La femme aux semelles de ve...
- Hermès Clipper Sport
- Hermès Arceau Chrono Bridon (New Models - 2015)
- Hermès Clipper (New Models – 2015)
- Hermès Cape Cod Tonneau Gem-Set Rose Gold
- Hermès Arceau Le temps Suspendu Rose Gold
- Cyrus Klepcys Réveil
- Silvana Watches – Introduction & History
- Tissot Vintage
- Tissot T-Touch Expert (New Version)
- Tissot Flamingo
- “GENEVA AT THE HEART OF TIME – The Origin of Swiss...
- Dwiss Brasilia Limited Edition
- Alexander Shorokhoff “Alzenau” Collection
- Urban Jürgensen – New Collection 2015 - 1140L Leve...
- Chronoswiss Timemaster 150
- RAYMOND WEIL NEW TOCCATA
- Swarovski Watches - New Crystalline Oval
- Hermès Arceau Skeleton Steel
- Swarovski Octea Classica
- Louis Erard - EXCELLENCE SKELETON & 1931 SMALL SEC...
- Wenger Urban Watch Collection
- Wenger Attitude Watch Collection
- Wenger Roadster
- Wenger Edge Watch Collection
- MILUS Tirion Triretrograde TIRI200
- Adriatica Ladies 3811.51B3CH
- ADRIATICA 8212.R264CH
- Schwarz Etienne Ode à la Semaine (LA CHAUX-DE-FOND...
- Alexander Shorokhoff “BARBARA“Limited Edition
- Magellan Watch: Brand Profile, History and Product...
- Magellan Watches - 1521 Flowers
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Attitude Automatic
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Tradition
- CATOREX «1858 » C’ Vintage Limited Edition
- CATOREX « 1858 » C’Pure
- CATOREX «1858 » C’Chrono Tradition
- CATOREX C’TWINN
- Bulova Accu•Swiss Treble Collection Manchester Uni...
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines 100 Dia...
- Longines DolceVita
- Longines Elegant Collection
- Citizen becomes the first-ever watch company to wi...
- Longines Ladies Diamond Conquest
- Romano Alberti O-YOROI watch
- SCHWARZ ETIENNE Roswell Manufacture
- Hublot Celebrates the Cricket World Cup Victory wi...
- Swiss Watch Brand CLERC Launches New Ocean Conserv...
- Tutima M2 Chronograph
- Breitling Avenger Blackbird 44
- Caran d’Ache “Spirit of Switzerland” Writing Instr...
- Caran d’Ache Collection Privée
- Caran d’Ache 100th Anniversary Collection
- Caran d’Ache “Year of the Goat” Limited Edition
- URWERK UR-105 TA
- Racing Star Dean Stoneman Is New Brand Ambassador ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot’s Watch Edition “Le Pet...
- Montblanc Meisterstück Miracle Pine Tree Writing I...
- Cabestan Triple Axis Tourbillon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Perspective Cavalière
- Hermès Cape Cod GMT
- Dietlin – Raptor 2 Display Case for Luxury Watches...
- ZANNETTI Magnificum Goat Limited Edition
- CITIZEN Satellite Wave F100 Limited Edition
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture (New Versions)...
- IWC Schaffhausen Celebrates Annual Tribeca Film Fe...
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Vintage Limited Edit...
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Date Gold
- Louis Erard Excellence Chrono Moon Phase Gold
- Louis Erard 1931 Small Second Open Gold
- IWC Schaffhausen Ingenieur Perpetual Calendar Digi...
- Jaquet Droz - The Charming Bird in Pink Gold
- ▼ April 2015 (299)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)