Roland Iten, the pioneering inventor of mechanical luxury for gentlemen, and Claude Sfeir, world-renowned jewelry expert and watch collector, has introduced an extraordinary accessory for gentlemen at Christie’s Private Sales: the R60 Diablo, a mechanical belt buckle incorporating an exceptionally rare 60.66-carat fancy cognac-colored diamond.
Extraordinary diamonds such as the 60.66-carat Diablo are usually reserved for women’s jewelry such as necklaces and tiaras. But these pieces are generally only worn on very special occasions such as gala events or coronations. Incorporating a large diamond into a men’s accessory in a masculine way that is still suitable for everyday wear was a formidable challenge. Now accomplished, the R60 Diablo could quite possibly change forever the notion of large gemstones being reserved exclusively for women.
The collaboration between Iten and Sfeir, several months in the making, incorporates a shared vision that is simple and clear: to place important stones into the everyday repertoire of high-end gentlemen’s accessories.
Roland Iten holds numerous patents for calibration buckle mechanisms. A well-respected pioneer in micro mechanics for gentlemen’s accessories, he has been commissioned by master watchmakers such as François-Paul Journe, Greubel Forsey, Jaeger-LeCoultre, and Vacheron Constantin to make watch buckles that follow the same concept of contemplated calibration as his famed belt buckle calibers. He implements his vision of “seriously playful” into every single product he designs – be it a unique piece or one of his limited series.
The exceptional and unique 60.66-carat, fancy orange-brown (cognac), modified kite-shaped diamond set into the R60 can be traced back almost 160 years, but the diamond itself is millions of years older and was created by the same tectonic forces that are still pushing up the Himalayan mountain range today.
Using the term Golconda can mean that the gemstone in question fulfills one or both of the following criteria. It either derives from the Golconda region of central India, which is located between the lower reaches of the Godavari, Wainganga, Wardha, and Krishna-Venva rivers in the present-day states of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh. Or it is a Type IIa variety of diamond, which boasts an exceptional degree of transparency that is nearly flawless.
The term "Golconda diamond" is today used as an indicator of very high-quality diamonds and/or to denote a stone originating in that region. To justify using the "Golconda" predicate, the diamond in question must have a level of transparency and quality found only in rare type IIa natural diamonds. A Golconda diamond is considered to be the very best of the best.
Manufactured one hundred percent in Switzerland on the same machinery used to manufacture components for the fine watchmaking industry, the R60 Diablo comprises precisely 109 components in 18-karat red gold and white gold with grade 5 titanium utilized for the chassis architecture.
Each component has been designed and assembled to rival even the finest watch movement. Its hand-crafted bridges, cogs, wheels, springs, and pinions interconnect to create a mechanism that allows the wearer to obtain an absolutely precise fit. Its 17-axel construction not only allows a calibrated adjustment to an exact waist measurement, but also affords an expansion range of 22 mm. It has been entirely handcrafted, polished, and assembled by master craftsmen in Geneva and meticulously supervised throughout the production process by Roland Iten himself.
When Roland Iten first saw the Diablo diamond, he was instantly captivated by its beauty and shape. Naturally, as with all his creations, he insisted the diamond have a functional role in the resulting piece so that it fulfills more than just an ornamental function. Also realizing that a diamond is an eternal object, he knew that the construction chosen to encase it must be as robust as the diamond itself.
Against his stringent personal criteria, the unique R60 Diablo mechanical belt buckle chassis was designed based on the rolling click calibration patent that Roland Iten invented in 2008. The key feature of this patent is a reverse engineered gearing mechanism that uses flow-guiding wheels in place of toothed cogs so that the calibrating gear system operates with almost no friction. This unique, minimal-friction action has been named the “click-free click.”
This unique mechanism allows the fine-tuning calibration from 0 to 22 mm, and the accompanying vertical rotating friction-controlled pin together with the mechanically leveraged belt insertion clip further ensure the longevity of the mechanism.Due to the exceptional clarity of the 60.66 carat Diablo diamond, the incredible mechanical savoir-faire of the complication is clearly visible through the cover of the piece.
Security was also an important consideration in the execution of the design, thus four security systems ensure that the buckle cannot release from the leather strap. The buckle cover locks to the chassis with a manually operated mechanical click lock, while the chassis locks itself to the leather strap through a manually operated spring locking system.
An unlimited warranty against manufacturing defect accompanies the R60 Diablo to ensure its lifetime is at least as long as the jewel that crowns it.
Roland Iten considers the rare – and possibly unique – cut of the 60.66 ct Diablo to be its most interesting and masculine aspect.
In traditional settings, a stone’s perimeter is embedded in the piece as the basis of securing the stone within the setting. Roland Iten insisted that the setting of the stone enhance – and not hide – its rare cut. Therefore, he created an exclusive suspension pillar system and a mechanical mount to allow the stone to “float” above the buckle plate.
All corners of the stone are visible but protected by a surrounding gold embankment, allowing the full kite-shaped cut to be visible from all sides of the buckle plate.
In order to ensure its perfect fit, Roland Iten first created an exact replica of the diamond using the precise dimensions of its four setting points. The four separate and individually v-shaped suspension pillars were crafted to support the stone, then mechanically attached to the cover.
Further enhancing the masculine beauty of this setting, drilled openings were incorporated into the four buttress-style suspension pillars to allow views through to the Diablo and enhance the chassis’ unique design.
Performance and calibration are at the heart of all of Roland Iten’s inventions, which include precision-adjusting watch strap buckles; cufflinks that regulate the cuff circumference to the watch size; mechanical cases that cascade one’s credit cards at just the precise angle; and gold shoelace tips that keep shoelaces fixed at the perfect knot. These accessories offer the ultimate in performance to the discerning gentleman in search of perfection.
Two pillars drive all of Roland Iten’s inventions, and no product is ever without them: one-handed operation and mechanics that are not only beautiful to behold, but can be felt while in operation.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS of the 60.66 carat diamond:
60.66: The number of carats of this extraordinarily significant, fancy orange-brown (“cognac”), modified kite-shaped brilliant diamond. Its natural orange-brown hue is an extremely rare color for a diamond, which automatically puts it among the most sought-after gems by collectors
39.28 X 29.13 X 7.05mm: The measurements of the Diablo stone
160: The number of years it can be traced back from its Golconda provenance origin, (although the rough diamond itself is millions of years older)
2010: Official diamond grading report issued by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS of the CALIBRE R60 Chassis in numbers:
R22MkI: Chassis construction with lightweight titanium and stainless steel architecture for tension and impact control
146 grams: Total weight
66 grams: 5N red and 18-karat white gold
109: Total number of components
60.66 carats: Extremely rare and exceptional VS2 fancy orange-brown (“cognac”) diamond type IIa incorporated into the red gold cover
0.6 carats: TW VVS1 round diamonds incorporated into the chassis
7: Separate manufacturing and assembly operations (stone replication, chassis design and manufacture, cover design and manufacture, suspension pillar design and manufacture, setting the stone, assembly and finishing
18: Months in the making
3: Expert manufacturers including Roland Iten Manufacture SA with components provided by Sercab SA and R. Magnin SA
100%: Manufactured in Switzerland on fine watchmaking machinery
PCT/IB2012?050884: Rolling click calibration patent number
MECHANICAL FUNCTIONS AND FEATURES of the CALIBRE R60 Diablo unique piece:
Five gear fine-tuning calibration between 0 and 22 mm
Rolling click calibration lock complication
Vertical rotating friction-controlled pin
Lever-activated mechanical locking system
Mechanically leveraged belt insertion clip
Easy changeability of leather strap
Friction-controlled flow-gliding wheels
Possibility to apply special engravings to the piece at the discretion of its owner, further enhancing its rarity and uniqueness
Following its official launch in Geneva, the R60 Diablo will be viewed by important collectors throughout the world via tours in key global locations including London, New York, Tokyo, Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
Jaeger-LeCoultre Rendez-Vous collection 2017 offers new versions of Rendez-Vous Night & Day timepiece. Available in three sizes and in a...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Specialised in the production of 3D printed wristwatches, Holthinrichs brand was established by architecture turned horology enthusiast Mich...
- ► 2016 (1513)
- BLACK BELT WATCH : Swiss watch brand solely reserv...
- Makara Watches - Introduction
- Alexander Shorokhoff Heritage Collection
- Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 1969 Tour Auto Edit...
- Sinn U212 SE Diving Watch
- Sinn 203 Diving Watch Anniversary Limited edition
- Sinn 203 ARKTIS Chronograph Diving Watch
- Alexander Shorokhoff Watch Manufacturer - Introduc...
- Zenith STAR 33 MM Edition 2015
- PANERAI Radiomir 1940 3 Days Ceramica, 48mm (PAM00...
- THOMAS MERCER CALIBRE TM 0802
- RAYMOND WEIL FREELANCER PIPER
- Arnold & Son Instrument Collection - TB Tiger
- Masterpiece London 2015 Returns For Its Sixth Edit...
- HAUTLENCE inaugurates its New Point of Kuala Lumpu...
- Vacheron Constantin - New Overseas Limited Edition...
- Melbourne Watch Company - The "Carlton"
- Defakto Akkord Modular
- Patek Philippe brings its Royal Collection to the ...
- GRAHAM Chronofighter Oversize Black Arrow
- Oris Carlos Coste Limited Edition IV
- Dexel SA, the specialist manufacture of Swiss watc...
- Andreas Strehler Papillon
- Montblanc Meisterstück Blue Hour Writing Instrumen...
- Montblanc Meisterstück White Solitaire Writing Ins...
- Hanhart PRIMUS Survivor Pilot
- Hanhart PRIMUS Diver
- Raphaël Domjan, the founder of SolarPlanet, will w...
- Patek Philippe brings historical timepieces to the...
- Patek Philippe hosts Educational and Family Days d...
- LunoWear Launches Online Crowd Funding Campaign fo...
- Meccaniche Veloci and Suomy Renew Their Partnershi...
- Breitling Superocean Chronograph M2000 Blacksteel
- U-BOAT “TIPO”
- A. Lange & Söhne unveils special model of the LANG...
- OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M ETNZ
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Concept Laptimer Michael...
- Longines Conquest 1/100th Roland Garros
- KERBEDANZ 3-Horses Tourbillon Sapphire
- IWC Schaffhausen Pilot’s Watch Double Chronograph ...
- Hublot Inaugurates Its New Boutique in Osaka
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Centre Seconds Concept C...
- Stranger Time - Thoroughbred Collection
- Baume & Mercier Capeland Shelby® Cobra Collection
- Chronoswiss Sirius Big Date Small Seconds
- Roland Iten R60 Diablo
- CARNOT Riviera Collection
- CITIZEN L Sunrise Series
- Christopher Ward - C9 Collection (New Versions)
- TAG Heuer opens a Pop-up store in Saint-Tropez
- The Omega Speedmaster & the World of Space Explora...
- Unique pieces of F.P.JOURNE « Tourbillon Souverain...
- TAG Heuer Joins World Surf League as Official Time...
- Rossling & Co. New Collection - Ultra-Thin Watches...
- Momentum® by St. Moritz Watch Corp - M1 Twist (New...
- Montblanc Introduces New Boutique Concept: The Mai...
- Up-and-coming watchmakers visit A. Lange & Söhne: ...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Skylab 48
- Roland Iten R782 Fly Back Mechanical Belt Calibre
- Phillips Inaugural Watch Auctions Realise 29.6 Mil...
- Bremont appointed Official Timing Partner for the ...
- CVSTOS Watches - Introduction
- Oris Big Crown ProPilot GMT
- Montegrappa Opens its New Monobrand Boutique in Mu...
- CVSTOS Sea-Liner Diamond
- CVSTOS Gustave Eiffel Tourbillon
- CVSTOS Challenge Jet-Liner ‘Proud To Be Russian’ C...
- WATCHe We3S Skeleton Wrist Watch
- Atelier Fritsch - Introduction
- Bulova Accu•Swiss Percheron Chronograph
- Meccaniche Veloci - Motored By Italian Passion
- Atelier Fritsch Clock “Le Cercle”
- TAG Heuer Special Senna Collection
- Sensational Chinese singer G.E.M. becomes the new ...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers d’Art Florilège – Rene...
- The French watch maker Mikael BOURGEOIS opens book...
- Breitling Navitimer AOPA Limited Edition
- IWC Schaffhausen GST Aquatimer
- Armin Strom offers Opportunity to Create One-of-a-...
- Jessica Chastain and Gong Li shine bright In Piage...
- Christopher Ward Trident Collection (White Dial Ve...
- Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer Only Watch ...
- Glashütte Original Senator Observer Stainless Stee...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Chronograph Ref. IW3764
- Gavox Aurora
- Christopher Ward Launches Instagram Competition
- Audemars Piguet Inaugurates New Clearwater, FL Ser...
- Glashütte Original Marine Chronometer Set (Limited...
- Arnold & Son Time Pyramid Guilloché Red Gold (Inst...
- IWC Schaffhausen announces smart connectivity to i...
- IWC Schaffhausen Perpetual Calendar Kurt Klaus Ref...
- Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Ultra Slim
- Piaget inaugurates its new Haute Joaillerie flagsh...
- Jacob & Co. Brilliant Art Deco D-Flawless
- Jacob & Co. Caligula Tourbillon Baguette
- Jacob & Co. Caviar Emerald Tourbillon
- Jacob & Co. Brilliant Skeleton Northern Lights
- Jacob & Co. Brilliant Flying Tourbillon Arlequino
- MONGOL WATCH COMPANY - MONGOL M1 Series
- Boucheron Serpent Bohème Collection
- ▼ May 2015 (122)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)