Swiss horological lab MB & F unveils a unique piece of Melchior (a robot-cum-table clock) to Only Watch, a biennial charity auction of unique timepieces under the High Patronage of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco to raise money for research on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD).
Melchior is a high-end table clock crafted by L'Epée 1839– Switzerland's only specialised high-end clock manufacture – featuring jumping hours, sweeping minutes, double retrograde seconds, and an impressive40-day power reserve drawing from five mainspring barrels. Hours and minutes are displayed via discs on Melchior’s chest, while a dial on his abdomen indicates the state of wind of that long power reserve. Melchior's eyes blink through a combination of fixed vents and revolving discs, endowing the robot with a playful touch of human-like personality.
The unique piece Melchior Only Watch is the 100th and final piece in the Melchior series. Clothed in palladium-plated brass and steel with bright red shoulder pads, Melchior is sure to put smiles on children's faces and melt the hearts of adults.
Such was the originality of MB&F’s robot concept that L’Epée needed to develop several new components: Machining, finishing and assembling a piece like the bulging glass dome forming Melchior’s skull was a first for L’Epée, as was crafting a stainless steel winding/time-setting key to resemble a Gatling gun.
The winding/time-setting key clips into Melchior’s left elbow joint socket. It is held by a small magnet strong enough to hold the key, but not so powerful as to affect the function of the movement. The key boasts a double-depth square socket that neatly fits over both of the square pegs on the back of Melchior. One of the pegs is for winding the movement, the other for time setting.
And for the finishing touch, L’Epée have applied a range of eye-catching finishes to Melchior’s bodywork – including anglage, mirror polishing, satin finishing, circular satin finishing, sand-blasting and polishing.
For clear reading of the hour, L’Epée developed a ‘slow’ jumping hour. This in-house complication sees the hour disc remain static for 55 minutes, then start to turn five minutes before the new hour so that the change of hour is smooth and subtle. The movement regulator features an Incabloc shock protection system, which minimises the risk of damage when the clock is being transported. This sort of shock protection is generally only seen in wristwatches. In fact, Melchior’s exclusive table clock movement features the same type of mechanisms as a wristwatch – gear train, spring barrel (here, five in series), balance wheel, escape wheel, and anchor – but their dimensions are far larger.
The movement also features superlative fine finishing – côtes de Genève, anglage, polishing, sandblasting, circular and vertical satin finishing – that is seen on a wristwatch. However, finely finishing a clock movement is far more challenging than finishing a wristwatch because of the greater surface areas of the larger components.
Melchior Only Watch is a unique piece for Only Watch 2015 with bright red anodised aluminium shoulder pads contrasting against the monochromatic body. The back is engraved "Melchior Only Watch Piece Unique".
‘Slow’ jumping hours and sweeping minutes: Twin discs forming part of Melchior’s breast plate, one disc displaying hours, the other disc minutes, both featuring MB&F's signature numerals
Retrograde seconds: Flyback discs mark 20-second intervals behind a steel mask
Power reserve indicator: Dial on abdomen providing intuitive view of remaining energy
L’Epée in-house designed and manufactured movement
Balance frequency: 18,000 bph / 2.5Hz
Barrels: 5 in series
Power reserve: 40 days
Movement components: 334
Incabloc shock protection system
Mechanism in palladium-plated brass
Manual-winding: double-depth square socket key sets time and winds movement
Movement finishing: includes côtes de Genève, anglage, polishing, sandblasting, circular and vertical satin finishing
Melchior’s body and armour
Dimensions: 30.3cm x 21.7cm (depending on position of the arms) x 11.2cm
Body/armour components: 146
Dome: polished glass screwed via polished and bevelled palladium-plated brass bezel
Retrograde seconds display in stainless steel
Movement mainplate in palladium-plated brass
Breastplate (forming hour and minute hands) in palladium-plated brass
Abdomen (power reserve indicator frame) in stainless steel
Ribcage/spine (formed by skeletonised main plate) in palladium-plated brass
Pelvis, thighs, shins and feet in stainless steel
Hips (long central bars joining pelvis) in stainless steel
Shoulders and arms
Shoulders in red anodised aluminium
Upper arms and lower arm sockets in stainless steel; magnet in left arm socket
Right forearm: screwed-in rocket with chrome-plated brass body and stainless steel warhead
Left forearm: Gatling gun/detachable stainless steel winding key with palladium-plated brass
Body and armour finishing includes anglage, mirror polishing, satin finishing, circular satin finishing, sandblasting, polishing.
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
To celebrate the launch of the Bentley Continental Supersports, Breitling for Bentley has created a limited-edition chronograph with a titan...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
Rado's super slim True Thinline collection has added chic models in four colourful new high-tech ceramic variatons. With their detail-fr...
Anonimo reinforces its presence in Verbier and announces a new partnership with the W Hotel in the Place Blanche. Present this year in the s...
The Vintage Style Calendar is the French watch brand William L. 1985's latest offering and has a brand new canvas blue style textile str...
HYT presents its first ever pocket watch, the Skull Pocket. With this innovative hydro-mechanical pocket watch the young Swiss watch brand i...
- ► 2016 (1563)
- RGM Watch Company – in House 801 Collection (New M...
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle World Time
- Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Ultra-Thin Calibre 1...
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Small Model (33...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’art L’éloge De La Na...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portofino Hand-Wound Day & Date(R...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portofino Automatic 37 : New Vers...
- Breitling for Bentley GT3 Chronograph
- De Bethune DB27 D Polo edition
- Halda Watch Co Nürburgring Race Pilot Limited Edit...
- Backes & Strauss Piccadilly Princess Royal Emerald...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Spacecraft Batman Limited Edition...
- SEVENFRIDAY V-SERIES
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Mosaic Elephant
- Hublot Classic Fusion Chrono Aero "65th Anniversar...
- Hublot announces the opening of the “Sunken treasu...
- NOVUS Watches Launches Crowd Funding Campaign
- KERBEDANZ Quintum Minute Repeater
- Concord Saratoga Lady Diamond Petal
- GoS Watches presents new manual wound caliber GoS0...
- Robin Meier, 1st Audemars Piguet Art Commission Ar...
- Camber Watches Launches Online Crowd Funding Campa...
- H. Moser & Cie. becomes the first Watch Manufactur...
- Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. Paracord
- Gardens by the Bay and Audemars Piguet Unveil Sing...
- BOVET 19Thirty Collection
- Maison Celadon - Watches Made in China with Pride
- ALPINA - The New Alpiner Manufacture
- MB&F Melchior Only Watch 2015 Unique Piece in Asso...
- Ralph Lauren New Slim Classique Timepieces for the...
- Jessica Chastain joins Piaget CEO Philippe Léopold...
- Audemars Piguet - The New Royal Oak Perpetual Cale...
- Christopher Ward C9 Moonphase (40mm)
- Bell & Ross BR-X1 Chronograph Tourbillon (High-Tec...
- Vacheron Constantin Atelier Cabinotiers Reference ...
- Frederique Constant Classic Manufacture Moonphase
- Tusenö “First 42”
- TAG Heuer announces partnership with Budweiser Sto...
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture « Monaco Yacht...
- Speake-Marin Magister Vertical Double Tourbillon
- Vulcain Cricket Calibre – A Look Back
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special (Bronze Case)
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Squelette
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Hommage À Louis Blériot
- TW Steel Slim Line Automatic edition
- TW Steel VR|46 Pilot Special Edition
- Bulova Manchester United Club Watch
- Frederique Constant Runabout Moonphase Automatic L...
- Oris Aquis Small Second, Date
- Urwerk UR-106 “Only Watch” 2015 Unique Piece
- du Maurier Commodore
- ArtyA & Kerbedanz Unique Piece Tribute to Led Zepp...
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 CHRONOGRAPH Special Boutique...
- Audemars Piguet Becomes Official Timekeeper of Two...
- Blue Chips by GRIEB & BENZINGER
- Ulysse Nardin Blue Ocean Limited Edition
- G. Gerlach M/s Batory Big date
- BREITLING NEW GALACTIC 36 SLEEKT
- Frédéric Jouvenot INTI Automatic
- IWC Schaffhausen Launches Limited-Edition Timepiec...
- Longines Column-Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograp...
- DAVOSA Ternos Vintage
- Graham Chronofighter Oversize Navy SEAL Foundation...
- MB&F ‘Arachnophobia’
- The Tourbillon Chiming Jump Hour by Akrivia Pre-Se...
- URWERK UR-106 “Lotus”
- Speake-Marin Kennin-ji Temple Masters Project
- Christophe Claret Espoir & Paix Only Watch 2015 Un...
- Christopher Ward C9 GT40 Limited Edition
- Hautlence Vortex Selected for the Grand Prix D’hor...
- Romain Gauthier Logical One Secret Kakau Höfke
- ▼ September 2015 (71)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)