Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin unveils two new models of the Traditionnelle World Time in either 18K white or 18K 5N pink gold sublimated by a gold map in the center of their dial. Equipped with the in house developed Calibre 2460 WT featuring patented mechanism, this traveller’s timepiece indicates 37 world’s time zones, including those offset from Universal Coordinated Time (UCT) by a half - or quarter hour.
The Traditionnelle World Time by Vacheron Constantin highlight a complication inextricably bound to the history of the Geneva-based manufacturer: world time. The latter is also interwoven with the theme of travel, since Jean-Marc Vacheron and his successors have constantly circled the globe delivering their exceptional timepieces. A pioneer in the development and production of innovative watches, the Manufacture has displayed the same approach in being resolutely open to the world at large. Created in 1755 in Geneva and able to look back over 260 years of uninterrupted activity, Vacheron Constantin soon began exploring the four corners of the world. It established a presence in the United States in 1832 and in China in 1845 – well before the International Meridian Conference held in Washington in 1884 which divided the world into 24 time zones, taking the Greenwich meridian as the longitude 0 point of reference. This new approach became indispensable in keeping step with the development of international travel and of railways.
In keeping with the same pioneering spirit, and driven by a wish to demonstrate that the multiple time-zone watch could be further perfected, the Maison introduced its first timepieces endowed with an international time mechanism in 1932. This movement was the work of a brilliant Geneva watchmaker, Louis Cottier, who had imagined and developed a mechanical movement indicating the 24 time zones from 1 to 24 by means of a disc rotating around the central dial and the outer bezel bearing the names of the world’s major cities. This first Vacheron Constantin world time “Cottier system” watch enabled simultaneous read-off of the time in 31 cities around the world. It marked the start of a rich and longstanding relationship with the world time complication. In 1936, the Maison presented two new versions of its world time model with a 31-city dial and a 30-city dial. In 1937 and 1938, the Geneva-based Manufacture unveiled six table clocks with a mobile dial featuring 67 locations. From the 1940s onwards, Vacheron Constantin attributed the reference number 4414 to a world time model with a 41-city dial and a day-night division of the mobile 24-hour disc. During the 1940s and 1950s, many famous customers were captivated by this useful and ingenious mechanism, and contributed to spreading the fame of this new complication.
In 1957, Vacheron Constantin wrote a new chapter in its history of world time watches by introducing the first world time wristwatch, reference 6213, ordered by an Egyptian dignitary.
Eager to make a major new contribution to the history of this complication, the Vacheron Constantin master-watchmakers and engineers have launched a mechanical movement capable of indicating not only the full time zones, but also the partial ones, so as to reflect the exact temporal reality in the 37 time zones. A number of countries have indeed adopted a half-hour or quarter-hour difference from UTC, and the Calibre 2460 WT by Vacheron Constantin takes account of these specific characteristics. By way of example, it provides the correct time indication for Caracas, since Venezuela decided in 2007 to switch from a full time zone to a half time zone (GMT – 4:30).
Despite its complex construction principles, the mechanical world time movement is extremely user friendly. The wearer chooses the reference time and places it opposite the black triangle at 6 o’clock. The time in the reference location can then be read off either by the hour hand, or by the 24-hour disc, while the time in the other 36 time zones is simultaneously readable. The cities shown in black represent the full time zones, while the cities in red indicate half-hour or quarter-hour zones.
Traditionnelle World Time
References: 86060/000G-8982 & 86060/000R-8985
Hallmark of Geneva certified timepieces
Calibre 2460 WT
Developed and manufactured by Vacheron Constantin
36.6 mm (11’’’¼) diameter, 7.55 mm thick
Approximately 40 hours of power reserve
4 Hz (28,800 vibrations/hour)
World time indication (37 cities)
18K white gold / 18K 5N pink gold
42.5 mm diameter, 11.62 mm thick
Transparent sapphire crystal caseback
Water-resistance tested at a pressure of 3 bar (approx. 30 meters)
Superposition of 3 dials:
- Gold map with sun-brushed continents & sand-blasted seas. Metal disc with cities names (in black for plain hours and in red for half-hours and quarters)
- Sapphire disc with day-night indication and engraved & inked 24-hour indications (18:30 to 6:30 hours indications highlighted with an anthracite-colored background)
- Metal external ring with painted minute-track and 18K gold hour-markers
Black / brown Mississippiensis alligator leather with alligator leather inner shell, hand-stitched, saddle-finish, large square scales
Clasp: 18K white gold / 18K 5N pink gold folding clasp, Polished half Maltese cross-shaped
A futuristic extrapolation of a 19th century movement architecture now considered to be the historical signature of the Manufacture Girard-P...
In honour of a pioneer who inspired generations of scientists after him from Newton to Einstein, the high end writing instrument specialist ...
The Da Vinci Automatic wristwatch from this year’s Da Vinci edition, is a classically simple watch with three hands in a 40-millimetre round...
Young watch brand Straton Watch Co. is launching their latest addition, the Syncro, a stylish timepiece collection inspired by 1970s stopwat...
Founded by Nicolas Bartschat and Fabian Weis, the young watch brand Styrman & Crew is creating a new trend in the watch industry. Since ...
In 2017, Audemars Piguet presents a new women’s Royal Oak with a uniquely gem-set look defined by a swirling diamond relief pattern that gli...
BRELLUM is a young and independent Swiss watchmaking brand based at Porrentruy in the canton of Jura, the region better known as the cradle ...
British jeweller and watch maker Mo Eden presents his first men’s wristwatch: the MK1. Hand made in London’s Hatton Garden, the watch is bes...
Prestigious Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin announces the appointments of Juan Carlos Torres as non-executive President, and of ...
Re-Belle, the wonderful ladies’ watch collection from the luxury Swiss watch brand CVSTOS, now welcome new iterations. After a first succes...
- ► 2016 (1572)
- RGM Watch Company – in House 801 Collection (New M...
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle World Time
- Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Ultra-Thin Calibre 1...
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Small Model (33...
- Vacheron Constantin Métiers D’art L’éloge De La Na...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portofino Hand-Wound Day & Date(R...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portofino Automatic 37 : New Vers...
- Breitling for Bentley GT3 Chronograph
- De Bethune DB27 D Polo edition
- Halda Watch Co Nürburgring Race Pilot Limited Edit...
- Backes & Strauss Piccadilly Princess Royal Emerald...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Spacecraft Batman Limited Edition...
- SEVENFRIDAY V-SERIES
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Mosaic Elephant
- Hublot Classic Fusion Chrono Aero "65th Anniversar...
- Hublot announces the opening of the “Sunken treasu...
- NOVUS Watches Launches Crowd Funding Campaign
- KERBEDANZ Quintum Minute Repeater
- Concord Saratoga Lady Diamond Petal
- GoS Watches presents new manual wound caliber GoS0...
- Robin Meier, 1st Audemars Piguet Art Commission Ar...
- Camber Watches Launches Online Crowd Funding Campa...
- H. Moser & Cie. becomes the first Watch Manufactur...
- Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. Paracord
- Gardens by the Bay and Audemars Piguet Unveil Sing...
- BOVET 19Thirty Collection
- Maison Celadon - Watches Made in China with Pride
- ALPINA - The New Alpiner Manufacture
- MB&F Melchior Only Watch 2015 Unique Piece in Asso...
- Ralph Lauren New Slim Classique Timepieces for the...
- Jessica Chastain joins Piaget CEO Philippe Léopold...
- Audemars Piguet - The New Royal Oak Perpetual Cale...
- Christopher Ward C9 Moonphase (40mm)
- Bell & Ross BR-X1 Chronograph Tourbillon (High-Tec...
- Vacheron Constantin Atelier Cabinotiers Reference ...
- Frederique Constant Classic Manufacture Moonphase
- Tusenö “First 42”
- TAG Heuer announces partnership with Budweiser Sto...
- Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Manufacture « Monaco Yacht...
- Speake-Marin Magister Vertical Double Tourbillon
- Vulcain Cricket Calibre – A Look Back
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special (Bronze Case)
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Squelette
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Hommage À Louis Blériot
- TW Steel Slim Line Automatic edition
- TW Steel VR|46 Pilot Special Edition
- Bulova Manchester United Club Watch
- Frederique Constant Runabout Moonphase Automatic L...
- Oris Aquis Small Second, Date
- Urwerk UR-106 “Only Watch” 2015 Unique Piece
- du Maurier Commodore
- ArtyA & Kerbedanz Unique Piece Tribute to Led Zepp...
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 CHRONOGRAPH Special Boutique...
- Audemars Piguet Becomes Official Timekeeper of Two...
- Blue Chips by GRIEB & BENZINGER
- Ulysse Nardin Blue Ocean Limited Edition
- G. Gerlach M/s Batory Big date
- BREITLING NEW GALACTIC 36 SLEEKT
- Frédéric Jouvenot INTI Automatic
- IWC Schaffhausen Launches Limited-Edition Timepiec...
- Longines Column-Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograp...
- DAVOSA Ternos Vintage
- Graham Chronofighter Oversize Navy SEAL Foundation...
- MB&F ‘Arachnophobia’
- The Tourbillon Chiming Jump Hour by Akrivia Pre-Se...
- URWERK UR-106 “Lotus”
- Speake-Marin Kennin-ji Temple Masters Project
- Christophe Claret Espoir & Paix Only Watch 2015 Un...
- Christopher Ward C9 GT40 Limited Edition
- Hautlence Vortex Selected for the Grand Prix D’hor...
- Romain Gauthier Logical One Secret Kakau Höfke
- ▼ September 2015 (71)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)