The Konstantin Chaykin Manufacture, known to lovers of fine watches all over the world for watches containing unusual movements and functions and clocks for fine interiors with gorgeous cases made of precious and rare materials. For Konstantin Chaykin, the Russian inventor and watchmaker, religion, in all forms is one of his passions, particularly the different calendars and symbolism. Konstantin is always looking for new ways to connect religious meanings with telling time.
Konstantin does not favor any one religion. You will find clocks and watches he has invented with Christian, Hebrew and Muslim symbols and calendars. Creating instruments to tell time has been connected to religion from the start. The first mechanical clocks for instance often had blank faces and were located on towers so that people would know when services would be. Despite the fact that today clocks and watches are part of everyday, secular life, combining the jigsaw pieces of calculating the dates of the Eastern Orthodox Easter with the regular workings of a clock movement is mesmerizing.
Konstantin’s latest masterpiece is tied to the Russian Orthodox Calendar. This clock identifies the moving date of Eastern Orthodox Easter, a date that is calculated based on numerous rules and limitations. To fully appreciate the complexity of this movement, one needs to try and calculate the date of Easter oneself: with all the will in the world, it is hard to succeed the first time. The factors include: lunar cycles, solar cycles, the indict, the epact, the solar correction and more. Konstantin Chaykin learned how to use all of these factors created his own method for doing the computations and ‘taught’ his clock how to compute the dates for Eastern Orthodox Easter.
The movements and the appearance of the Computus Clock are equally complicated and beautiful. Anyone who has even seen photographs of St. Petersburg will recognize the references to the St. Isaac Cathedral in the overall shape, the dome, the colonnade, the lantern, the gables, the bell towers and the colors. The colors of the marble on the Computus Clock case match the colors used inside the Cathedral.
The facades of St. Isaac’s are decorated with gables upheld by monumental granite columns embodying eternity. Once again, the Computus Clock includes these themes: eternity in the eternal calendar with the eternal cycle of Easter and visually in columns which frame the movement. There are less columns on the clock than on the Cathedral for the columns on the clock reveal glimpses of the secrets of time. The gables of the Cathedral resemble eagles with outspread wings. Four of the gables are decorated with energetic, yet massive bas-reliefs. The Computus Clock includes details from the north gable – ‘The Resurrection’ and from the south gable ‘The Visit of the Magi’. Expert stoneworkers lovingly reproduced these details in mosaics. The case also includes some imagery and themes from the Cathedral’s interior: the designs on the roof mimic the floor of the Cathedral and the mosaics on the sides of the case are based on the stained glass window ‘The Risen Christ’ and the mosaic of Archangel Michael.
The indicator of Eastern Easter is located on the face of the Computus Clock. This indicator includes the date according to both the Julian and the Gregorian calendars. There is a separate row of dates for each calendar. The lower row is for the Gregorian calendar and includes dates from April 4 to May 8, while the top row is for the Julian calendar and ranges from March 22 through April 25. To make it easier to read the dates, they are color-coded by month. Instead of a hand, there is a square frame which contains the dates for the given year from both calendars. The dates change every year on New Year.
On the back of the movement there is a mechanism to balance the discrepancies between ‘real’ time and the 24 hour day; a discrepancy created by the imperfect shape of Earth’s orbit and the 23° angle of the Earth’s axis.
Manufactory caliber: Т03-0
Materials: brass, steel, bronze, anodized aluminum, gold, lapis lazuli and sapphires
Frequency: 18 000 vibrations per hour
Movement parts: 1375
Power reserve: up to 10 days
Movement accuracy: ± 20 seconds per day
Dimensions: 600*340*242 mm
Materials: marble, brass, silver, steel, duralumin, mineral glass, gold, flint, rhodonite, violan, xonotlite, lapis lazuli, charoite
Additional technology: guilloche, hot enamel on guilloche surface, mosaic
The minerals in the mosaics:
Gables: flint, rhodonite, violan, sandstone, xonotlite, lapis lazuli, charoite
Mosaic with the image of Archangel Michael: jasper, violan, sandstone, magnesite, jade
Mosaic with the image of “the Risen Christ”: jasper, marble, jade, lapis lazuli, violan
Top of the housing mosaic: marble, flint
Date of Orthodox Easter
Equation of time
Russia time zones
The functions of the perpetual calendar:
Day of week
№ 2353978: “Calendar device and method for orthodox Easter date determination”
№ 2306618: “Calendar device for determining orthodox Easter date and orthodox holy days”
№149239 “Clock with display of time in time zones of Russia (options) and method of simultaneous display of time in all time zones of Russia”
A futuristic extrapolation of a 19th century movement architecture now considered to be the historical signature of the Manufacture Girard-P...
In honour of a pioneer who inspired generations of scientists after him from Newton to Einstein, the high end writing instrument specialist ...
The Da Vinci Automatic wristwatch from this year’s Da Vinci edition, is a classically simple watch with three hands in a 40-millimetre round...
Young watch brand Straton Watch Co. is launching their latest addition, the Syncro, a stylish timepiece collection inspired by 1970s stopwat...
Founded by Nicolas Bartschat and Fabian Weis, the young watch brand Styrman & Crew is creating a new trend in the watch industry. Since ...
In 2017, Audemars Piguet presents a new women’s Royal Oak with a uniquely gem-set look defined by a swirling diamond relief pattern that gli...
Young watch brand Gruppo Gamma presents Mk IV, the newest version of its popular Vanguard collection. Introduced in 2014, the Vanguard draws...
BRELLUM is a young and independent Swiss watchmaking brand based at Porrentruy in the canton of Jura, the region better known as the cradle ...
British jeweller and watch maker Mo Eden presents his first men’s wristwatch: the MK1. Hand made in London’s Hatton Garden, the watch is bes...
Prestigious Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin announces the appointments of Juan Carlos Torres as non-executive President, and of ...
- ► 2016 (1573)
- PRODUCT GALLERY : FRANC VILA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY: JACOB & CO. WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : A. Favre & fils
- PRODUCT GALLERY : DE BETHUNE
- PRODUCT GALLERY : MILUS WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ZENO WATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY : DELANEAU WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : BALL WATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY : JEAN RICHARD WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY: COINWATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY: CHARRIOL WATCHES
- Imperiali Genève – Introduction
- PRODUCT GALLERY: IWC Schaffhausen
- IWC Schaffhausen - News & Articles
- IWC Schaffhausen - Archives
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2008
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2009
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2010
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2011
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2012
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2013
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2014
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Dussert Watches
- Vacheron Constantin Watches (Novelties 2002 - 2006...
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2007
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2008
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2009
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2010
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2011
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2012
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2013
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2014
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2015
- BVLGARI DIVA
- Bulgari Octo All Blacks Special Edition
- Bulgari Octo Retrograde Collection - Octo Mono-Rét...
- Bulgari New Diagono Scuba
- Bulgari - Tourbillon Central Papillon & Papillon H...
- deLaCour City Episode S Bleu Limited Edition
- deLaCour Reflect Tourbillon Titanium Limited Editi...
- Hublot opens a new boutique in Budapest, Hungary
- Rado Valentine’s Day Collection - Rado DiaMaster G...
- Arnold & Son Wins the Best Breakthrough Award by S...
- Atelier de Chronométrie Barcelona - Introduction
- Jaquet Droz ‘Year of Monkey’ Collection - The Peti...
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull
- Hublot renovates its Rue Saint-Honoré Store, Paris...
- Welcome to Hublot Suite in the new Hotel Atlantis ...
- Concord Saratoga Lady Black PVD and Rose Gold
- Carl F. Bucherer PatraviTravelTec Black DLC
- Anthony de Haas, Product Development Director at A...
- CITIZEN EM0225-84E Silouhette Bangle Watch
- Japanese Pianist Hiromi Uehara wins François Perre...
- Girard-Perregaux inaugurates in Yokohama, its exhi...
- Michael B. Jordan visits the Piaget Manufacture
- Ulysse Nardin opens a flagship Boutique in Abuja, ...
- Grönefeld PARALLAX Tourbillon in Platinum
- Let us celebrate this Christmas Season with Speake...
- Longines Conquest 1/100th St. Moritz
- TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 Chronograph - Reissue ...
- ArtyA Son of Sound Tourbillon
- Buben&Zorweg ONE Dual Time
- Casio Baby-G Range BGA-210
- Breitling Exospace B55
- Mido Belluna Caliber 80 Pair Watches (M024.207.22....
- Christa Rigozzi unveils the Eberhard & Co. Luxury ...
- Casio EDIFICE EFR-303D World Time Chronograph
- Ulysse Nardin Classic “Year of the Monkey” Edition...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ADRIATICA WATCHES
- Design Shanghai 2016 - Design Shanghai Continues T...
- Roger Dubuis Blossom Velvet Pink
- Roger Dubuis Opens a New Boutique at the Dubai Mal...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Grand Opening of It...
- Frederique Constant receives the Bucherer Watch Aw...
- Hermès Slim d’Hermès Mille Fleurs du Mexique
- ORIS Great Barrier Reef Limited Edition II
- TAG Heuer Unveils the “TAG Heuer Connected” Watch ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Automatic Edition “Expe...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Automatic 2000 (Ref. IW...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Chronograph Edition “La...
- Reima Koivukoski Receives F. A. Lange Watchmaking ...
- Speake-Marin Dong Son Tourbillon
- Swiss luxury watch maker Arnold & Son appoints top...
- Backes & Strauss and English National Ballet intro...
- CORUM Golden Bridge Dragon & Phoenix
- Ulysse Nardin - Ulysse Anchor Tourbillon with Tran...
- TW Steel Yamaha Factory Racing Triple Crown Limite...
- IWC Schaffhausen and Qatar Duty Free Open the Firs...
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Perpetual Calendar Conce...
- ARMIN STROM Tourbillon Skeleton
- Arnold & Son showcases at Art Basel Miami Beach
- Deep Blue Master 1000 Automatic Dive Watch, Cerami...
- Konstantin Chaykin Computus Easter - The most comp...
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkskunst
- HUBLOT celebrates the grand opening of Taipei bout...
- Ulysse Nardin announces Boutique Opening in Miami ...
- Ulysse Nardin Executive Lady (Stainless steel case...
- IWC Schaffhausen opens a new boutique at Weinplatz...
- FOB PARIS - Rehab 413 & 360
- Corum Bubble Paiste Limited Edition
- ▼ December 2015 (113)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)