Luxury watch brand Speake-Marin unveils its new horology masterpiece: The Dong Son Tourbillon. Christened after the ancient Dong Son bronze drums, this high horology creations features a red gold dial with centre intricately etched to leave a fascinating relief motif inspired by the prehistoric bronze drums of the ancient Dong Son people of Vietnam. The meticulously detailed dial is complemented by the drum-like Speake Marin Piccadilly case in 18k red gold.
In addition to the signature Piccadilly case, the Dong Son Tourbillon possesses other quintessential Speake-Marin qualities including sculpted heat-blued hands, finely finished movement and fluted crown, here set with a scintillating diamond.
The beautiful hand-finished tourbillon rotating at 6 o’clock is framed superbly by its steel guard. The eye-catching, highly polished tourbillon bridge is made from Durnico steel, chosen for its superior strength.
Foundation Watch, a hand-made pocket watch. The watchmaker’s topping tool wheel motif in the Speake-Marin logo, which first appeared in the tourbillon cage of the Foundation Watch, can also be seen in the tourbillon cage of the Dong Son Tourbillon.
The Dong Son Tourbillon’s visually-arresting blued steel hands are also designed in the same style as the hands of the Foundation Watch, the Rosetta Stone of Speake-Marin. The polished, sculpted hands – including a heart-shaped hour hand – are set off superbly by the white etched dial centre. Around the circular-grained periphery of the 18 k red gold dial, Roman numerals are first engraved, then lacquered, then circular-grained. The polished gold bezel frames the dial, just as the polished guard in the dial around the escapement frames the tourbillon.
The lower tourbillon cage is supported by a striking paddle-shaped bridge offering clear visual access to the surrounding gears below. The rhodium-finished German silver bridges and movement plates are circular-grained with polished screw heads and countersinks. Technical details are engraved and gilded on the bridges either side of the platinum rotor.
The Dong Son bronze drum culture
Dong Son drums are bronze drums crafted by the Dong Son culture in the Red River Delta of northern Vietnam between about 600 BC and the third century AD. Weighing up to 100 kilograms, some drums would have required the smelting of between one and seven tons of copper ore. Since the late 17th century, more than 200 such drums have been discovered from eastern Indonesia to Vietnam and parts of southern China. It is thought that the Dong Son drums were used as musical instruments in festivals, in prayers for rain and for good harvest, in rituals such as weddings and funerals, and for rallying men for war. The sides and top surface of the drums were usually decorated with geometric patterns and realistically inscribed scenes depicting daily life – for example war, animals and boats.
The unique dial of the Dong Son Tourbillon
These traditional patterns and iconography provide the inspiration for the highly-intricate dial motif of the Speake-Marin Dong Son. In fact, the Dong Son Tourbillon dial motif takes its cues from some of the most revered Dong Son drum creations, including the Hoàng Ha drum,Co Loa drum and the most important of all due to its well-preserved nature and intricate decoration, the famous Ngoc Lu drum.
The top surfaces of these drums are adorned with a central starburst and concentric circles within which are repetitive images of armed warriors and flying egrets as well as geometric hatching.The dial centre motif of the Dong Son Tourbillon follows a similar pattern to these historical masterpieces, with an outer ring of graceful egrets complemented by an inner ring featuring plumed warriors holding their weapons between the 12 points of the eye-catching starburst. These 12 points also form a neat horological reference for the central hands indicating hours, minutes and seconds.
It is not just the iconography of the Dong Son drum motif that gives the Dong Son dial its vitality, but also the spectacular precision of the etching in the 1.0mm thick 18 k gold dial. The precision-etched areas of the red gold dial are 0.3 mm deep, matte finishing emphasises the ‘all white’ dial treatment and provides a stunning contrast with the circular-grained, red gold motif.
SM/CDH Calibre SM3, 60 second tourbillon, self-winding movement with platinum mass
Indications: Central hours, minutes
Power Reserve: ~ 72 hours
Piccadilly case in 18k red gold
Front and back sapphire crystals treated with antireflective coating
Diameter: 38 mm
Water Resistance: 3 bar (30 meters)
18k gold chemically etched and hand finished Dong Son dial
Hands: Central Speake-Marin signature “Foundation” style hands in heat blued steel
Alligator. Pin buckle in 18k gold
For the first time, Speake-Marin combines on a single watch a minute repeater carillon, a tourbillon and an animation of the dial which brin...
At SIHH 2017 luxury watch fair, Vacheron Constantin have unveiled one of the most complicated mechanical wristwatches of modern era: the L...
Rado's super slim True Thinline collection has added chic models in four colourful new high-tech ceramic variatons. With their detail-fr...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
Revealed at SIHH 2017, the Reverso Tribute Duo with its pink gold case boasts two contrasting dials – both equally refined and each displayi...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
F.P. Journe presents the third and last edition of the Vagabondage Series, “Vagabondage III”, produced in a limited series of 69 pieces in P...
- ► 2016 (1562)
- PRODUCT GALLERY : FRANC VILA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY: JACOB & CO. WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : A. Favre & fils
- PRODUCT GALLERY : DE BETHUNE
- PRODUCT GALLERY : MILUS WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ZENO WATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY : DELANEAU WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : BALL WATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY : JEAN RICHARD WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY: COINWATCH
- PRODUCT GALLERY: CHARRIOL WATCHES
- Imperiali Genève – Introduction
- PRODUCT GALLERY: IWC Schaffhausen
- IWC Schaffhausen - News & Articles
- IWC Schaffhausen - Archives
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2008
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2009
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2010
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2011
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2012
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2013
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2014
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Dussert Watches
- Vacheron Constantin Watches (Novelties 2002 - 2006...
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2007
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2008
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2009
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2010
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2011
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2012
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2013
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2014
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2015
- BVLGARI DIVA
- Bulgari Octo All Blacks Special Edition
- Bulgari Octo Retrograde Collection - Octo Mono-Rét...
- Bulgari New Diagono Scuba
- Bulgari - Tourbillon Central Papillon & Papillon H...
- deLaCour City Episode S Bleu Limited Edition
- deLaCour Reflect Tourbillon Titanium Limited Editi...
- Hublot opens a new boutique in Budapest, Hungary
- Rado Valentine’s Day Collection - Rado DiaMaster G...
- Arnold & Son Wins the Best Breakthrough Award by S...
- Atelier de Chronométrie Barcelona - Introduction
- Jaquet Droz ‘Year of Monkey’ Collection - The Peti...
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull
- Hublot renovates its Rue Saint-Honoré Store, Paris...
- Welcome to Hublot Suite in the new Hotel Atlantis ...
- Concord Saratoga Lady Black PVD and Rose Gold
- Carl F. Bucherer PatraviTravelTec Black DLC
- Anthony de Haas, Product Development Director at A...
- CITIZEN EM0225-84E Silouhette Bangle Watch
- Japanese Pianist Hiromi Uehara wins François Perre...
- Girard-Perregaux inaugurates in Yokohama, its exhi...
- Michael B. Jordan visits the Piaget Manufacture
- Ulysse Nardin opens a flagship Boutique in Abuja, ...
- Grönefeld PARALLAX Tourbillon in Platinum
- Let us celebrate this Christmas Season with Speake...
- Longines Conquest 1/100th St. Moritz
- TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 Chronograph - Reissue ...
- ArtyA Son of Sound Tourbillon
- Buben&Zorweg ONE Dual Time
- Casio Baby-G Range BGA-210
- Breitling Exospace B55
- Mido Belluna Caliber 80 Pair Watches (M024.207.22....
- Christa Rigozzi unveils the Eberhard & Co. Luxury ...
- Casio EDIFICE EFR-303D World Time Chronograph
- Ulysse Nardin Classic “Year of the Monkey” Edition...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ADRIATICA WATCHES
- Design Shanghai 2016 - Design Shanghai Continues T...
- Roger Dubuis Blossom Velvet Pink
- Roger Dubuis Opens a New Boutique at the Dubai Mal...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Grand Opening of It...
- Frederique Constant receives the Bucherer Watch Aw...
- Hermès Slim d’Hermès Mille Fleurs du Mexique
- ORIS Great Barrier Reef Limited Edition II
- TAG Heuer Unveils the “TAG Heuer Connected” Watch ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Automatic Edition “Expe...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Automatic 2000 (Ref. IW...
- IWC Schaffhausen Aquatimer Chronograph Edition “La...
- Reima Koivukoski Receives F. A. Lange Watchmaking ...
- Speake-Marin Dong Son Tourbillon
- Swiss luxury watch maker Arnold & Son appoints top...
- Backes & Strauss and English National Ballet intro...
- CORUM Golden Bridge Dragon & Phoenix
- Ulysse Nardin - Ulysse Anchor Tourbillon with Tran...
- TW Steel Yamaha Factory Racing Triple Crown Limite...
- IWC Schaffhausen and Qatar Duty Free Open the Firs...
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Perpetual Calendar Conce...
- ARMIN STROM Tourbillon Skeleton
- Arnold & Son showcases at Art Basel Miami Beach
- Deep Blue Master 1000 Automatic Dive Watch, Cerami...
- Konstantin Chaykin Computus Easter - The most comp...
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkskunst
- HUBLOT celebrates the grand opening of Taipei bout...
- Ulysse Nardin announces Boutique Opening in Miami ...
- Ulysse Nardin Executive Lady (Stainless steel case...
- IWC Schaffhausen opens a new boutique at Weinplatz...
- FOB PARIS - Rehab 413 & 360
- Corum Bubble Paiste Limited Edition
- ▼ December 2015 (113)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)