Bart and Tim Grönefeld, creative geniuses behind the Grönefeld luxury timepieces, unveil their latest masterpiece horology creation, the Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire.
A spectacular timepiece to be unveiled at the Baselworld 2016, the Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire features an eight seconds constant force mechanism, ensuring the force serving the balance wheel does not wane. From the mainspring being fully wound to the last minute of the 36 hours of power reserve, when the stop works intervenes, the force never fluctuates. The result is that the amplitude and rate remain consistent, leading to superior precision.
Ever since Bart and Tim were young boys they would frequently play to the sounds of the Saint Plechelmus church clock movement and this movement has always played an important part in the history of Grönefeld. Johan Grönefeld, the brother's grandfather, was responsible for maintaining the church clock. When Johan passed away, this responsibility passed to their father, Sjef.
The church clock, created in 1913 by Royal Eijsbouts in the village of Asten, The Netherlands is equipped with a remontoire mechanism. The rationale for the remontoire being used in the church clock was the clock's display was positioned much higher than the movement, necessitating significant force. However, the magnitude of such force would prove too great for a conventional escapement, hence a remontoire, or constant force mechanism, was fitted. Moreover, the minute hand was calibrated to jump every 30 seconds, breaking any ice which may have formed in cold weather and, in so doing, preventing the clock hands from freezing.
The sculpted case is executed with a specially shaped cutter to create its characteristic hollowed, concave recesses and convex surfaces. In between each additional cutting phase, the case is polished prior to the next stage of milling, ensuring the precisely defined contours of the case are retained. This process proves incredibly time-consuming but the outcome justifies the effort.
For the first time, Grönefeld offers the new 1941 case in 18-carat white gold, alloyed with Palladium 150. This form of gold alloy is costlier but obviates the need for rhodium plating, hence its surface will not wear out. Alternatively, a 5N red gold case option is available. Measuring 39.5mm in diameter, with a restrained height of 10.5mm, the 1941 case is the epitome of elegance, courtesy of its discreet, graceful lines.
The extended Lancette hour and minute hands are flame-blued steel and include hand polished centres. The hour circle sits higher than the central dial area, delightfully playing with depths to eye-catching affect.
Each hour is denoted with an applied index which is faceted and diamond cut. The tapering point of each index guides the eyes towards the central area of the dial, aiding interpretation of the highly lucid display of hours and minutes.
In the lower portion of the dial is a small seconds display, this again masterfully plays with depths to deliver a sumptuous aesthetic appearance. A grained circlet, marked with Arabic numerals, provides a fascinating contradistinction with the adjacent frosted surfaces. Every change of dial depth is accentuated with a highly polished bevelled edge, engaging beautifully with ambient light.
The Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire features a governor to regulate the speed of the remontoire mechanism. Positioned at 9 o'clock it is designed to mitigate shocks to the gear train from the remontoire mechanism stopping. It rotates every eight seconds, adopting a calm tempo and bestowing a sense of calmness.
The dial is signed with "Grönefeld', 'Eight Seconds Remontoire' and 'Handcrafted". Indeed, every component is finished by hand to the highest standard.
From the outset, Bart and Tim always envisaged the Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire as a watch intended to appeal to the most discerning of watch collectors. It was therefore imperative that the movement was befitting of such a timepiece, appealing to the exacting requirements of purists.
The new 5-arm, double spoke gear train wheels exhibit a contemporary character, but their circular grained surfaces pay due reverence to fine watchmaking tradition. The movement includes a balance wheel with white gold timing screws and is equipped with a free-sprung over-coil hairspring with triangular stud.
Model: Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire
8 Seconds Remontoire Mechanism
Hand-wound Mechanical Movement, Calibre G-05
Number of parts: 258 parts
Number of jewels: 36 jewels, partially set in solid gold chatons
Power reserve: 36 hours with constant force (stop system)
Remontoire: To optimize time keeping a small hairspring is wound every 8 seconds to guarantee a constant force for the escapement. A complex satellite gearing mechanism with hypocycloidal gears, twin ball bearings, pinions and jewelled levers, achieve this.
Balance wheel: Variable-inertia balance wheel with four white gold timing screws (diameter 10 mm)
Frequency: 21.600 vibrations/hour
Balance spring: Free sprung with Phillips terminal over coil curve with triangle hairspring stud
Escapement: Jewelled Swiss lever
Main Plate: Spotted and ruthenium electroplated brass main plate
Stainless steel, bevels polished by hand, micro-blasted centre
Circular grain on the top to highlight the bridges shapes and engravings
Relief engraved Grönefeld logo, number of jewels and eight seconds remontoire
In setting mode the hacking seconds mechanism will be activated
Central Hours and Minutes
Small Seconds at 6 o’clock
Governor speed regulator at 9 o’clock
White Gold Au750/Pd150 (Non Rhodium plated) or Red Gold Au750 5N
Domed sapphire crystal on the front with hard antireflective coating on both sides
Flat sapphire crystal on the back with hard antireflective coating on both sides
Engraving: Grönefeld and the individual number
8 White gold security screws
Diameter: 39, 5 mm
Thickness: 10,5 mm
Water resistance: 3 atm(30 meters/100 feet)
Crown: White gold Au750/Pd150 (Non Rhodium plated) / Red gold Au750 5N engraved with logo
Sterling Silver 925, frosted and satin-grained surfaces
Extended Lancette hands
Flame-blued steel and mirror polished centres
Small poised seconds hand
Hand-sewn ostrich leather with White Gold Au750/Pd150 or Red Gold Au750 5N buckle Engraved with Grönefeld logo
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
To be unveiled at Baselworld 2017, the new Sport Classic collection pays tribute to EBEL’s formidable craftsmanship during the 1970s and 198...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
- Montblanc 1858 Chronograph Tachymeter Blue Limited...
- HYT Skull Bad Boy Limited Edition
- Golden Dreams Geneva - Hand Engraved Apple Watch
- Backes & Strauss - The Princess Elizabeth
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Perpetual Calendar Conce...
- Charmex CX Swiss Military Watch™ RALLYE GMT NERO E...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Singapore Grand...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : CHRONOSWISS
- Victorinox Swiss Army - I.N.O.X. Accessories
- Graham Chronofighter Superlight Carbon Limited Edi...
- Piaget to Display Curated Collection of its Extrao...
- BOVET Grand Feu Enamel Timepieces In Association w...
- BOVET Amadeo® Fleurier VIRTUOSO VII (Retrograde Pe...
- ArtyA Moorish Chrono Tourbillon Monopusher 1/1
- Oris Artix Skeleton
- Northrop & Johnson and Arnold & Son renews their S...
- Zannetti Magnificum “Compass Rose” Jade Edition
- Claude Bernard Automatic Open Heart
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Powder
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Turquoise
- EDOX Chronoffshore-1 Chronograph Automatic
- Hong Kong Based Watch Group Time2U to Unveil Its N...
- Casio G-SHOCK G-STEEL Series – New Models (GST-200...
- RGM Model 151-PR Professional Pilot
- Casio G-SHOCK MRG-G1000DC
- Tissot Le Locle Regulateur
- Rönkkö Minotaur Dual Moon Complication Light Editi...
- ArtyA Race Mahogany Limited Edition
- VANGARDE ‘Chrono Théorie’
- Meccaniche Veloci Quattro Valvole Four Strokes Mon...
- ANGELUS U20 Ultra-Skeleton Tourbillon
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire
- L'Duchen Toledo Collection
- L'Duchen Carcassonne Collection
- TEMPTION CGK205 (Featuring an Improved Integration...
- SAINT HONORÉ Charisma
- ArtyA Lion’s Head Tourbillon
- Roger Dubuis Velvet by Massaro
- Luminox Special Operations Challenge - The 3050 Na...
- Luminox F-22 Raptor Chronograph 9240 Series, Titan...
- Arnold & Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon (...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver Chronogra...
- PRODUCT GALLERY: DARK RUSH WATCHES
- Vulcain to Unveil a New Cricket Movement Baselworl...
- Seiko's Elite Prospex Collection Raises the Bar fo...
- Backes & Strauss Berkeley Emperor Brilliant Tourbi...
- IWC Schaffhausen - Big Pilot’s Watch Perpetual Cal...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : LAURENT FERRIER GENEVE
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2007 - 2009
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2010
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2011
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2012
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2013
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2014
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2016
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2015
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Archives
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne - Novelties 2016
- PRODUCT GALLERY : HAUTLENCE WATCHES
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA THIN – New Edition
- HAUTLENCE - Tourbillon 02 &Tourbillon 03
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Classic Square-Double Balanc...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square Boréal
- HAUTLENCE INVICTUS 04
- BRM Art Car Collection
- Bulgari DIVA ((Diamond Set White gold case, Brown-...
- Bulgari Octo Ultranero
- Bulgari Piccola Lvcea
- AVIATOR MiG-35 Watch Collection
- Bremont MBII White – In Association with Martin-Ba...
- Bremont Z Series - ALT1-ZT/51
- Rotary Les Originales Tradition
- Zannetti Regent Jewellery Owl Limited Edition
- Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer (New Versio...
- Oris Artelier Chronometer, Date
- Dewitt Twenty -8- Eight Skeleton Tourbillon High J...
- Harry Winston Premier Moon Phase 36mm
- Wenger Roadster Black Night
- Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar NBA Special Edition
- OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra “PyeongChang 2018” Limi...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Reopening of Flagsh...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso One Collection
- deLaCour Saqra Black Tie
- Bremont ALT1-C/PB Chronograph
- Hastings & Co Heritage Edition
- Charriol St-Tropez™ 35 GlamMoon
- Gc Watches - Gc-3 Papaya
- Chris Claire Big Date Dual Time
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Boréal
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe Night Blue
- Todd & Marlon - #YOURTIME Collection
- CHRONOSWISS Sirius Flying Regulator
- ARMIN STROM Cognac Watch
- Breitling Avenger Bandit
- Hublot Big Bang Unico Sapphire Limited Edition
- Eza Watches - Sealander
- deGRISOGONO Announces The Opening of Its New Flags...
- ArtyA - Cumbere Tourbillon & Son of Sound Magic Bl...
- ▼ February 2016 (165)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)