In 2015, after developing the movement AR1 and designing of his debut timepiece Steel Labyrinth, watchmaker Rönkkö created a complication of his own for the beast wandering the maze, Minotaur. Unveiled as Dark Edition, the Dual Moon Complication shows both the black moon and the full moon at the 12 o’clock opening. This horology creation perfectly highlights the bi-polar animal vs. human characteristics of the Minotaur.
This year, Rönkkö unveils a light edition of Minotaur. The light Minotaur is a timepiece accompanying a customised Soprod A10 Swiss made movement in a stainless steel 316L case with in-house Dual Moon Complication to indicate both black moon and full moon. The Minotaur´s moon phase depicts the labyrinth´s everlasting struggle between good and evil. The focal points of design are sharp faceted talismans of the dark and light sides of the Minotaur chasing each other around the dial. The winning aspect always rotates to the top indicating the current moon phase. The dark beastly Minotaur rises before black moon, cycling down to erect the light full moon Minotaur: once the son of King Minos called Asterion – the ruler of the stars.
RÖNKKÖ Minotaur – Light Edition of 5
In-house Dual Moon Complication indicating the full moon and the black moon with hours and minutes
Customised Swiss Soprod A10 movement
42 h power reserve
28 800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz)
Movement diameter 25,6 mm
Black DLC coated Minotaur talisman in free-rotation at the middle of the labyrinthine rotor (rotor mass: 18 kt white gold) in an open case back
Finishing of the movement: bottom side circular graining (perlage)
Minotaur case design - diameter 42 mm and height 11.75 mm
Hand finished stainless steel 316L case with satin finished surfaces and polished edges
Dial side and back side straight sapphire crystal (with anti reflexive coating underside of crystal)
Stainless steel crown with Rönkkö ® -signage
Water-resistant to 3 ATM
Roman skeleton index with precise hours and minutes
Rotating ornamental labyrinthine moon calendar with two Minotaur moon phase talismans
Light full moon Minotaur talisman made of stainless steel
Dark black moon Minotaur talisman made of dark DLC coated stainless steel
Hands: Hands made from stainless steel
Genuine matt black alligator strap with embossed Rönkkö -signage
BUCKLE: Stainless steel buckle with mirror polished surfaces
Notice: Minotaur Dark Edition of 5 retails for 19 400 Euros each, excluding VAT. The difference between Light Edition is the dark appearance made with PVD IP black treatment of case with black DLC coated dial parts. Otherwise the mechanical specifications are similar in both editions.
Who was Minotaur?
In Greek mythology the Minotaur was a creature with the head of a bull on the body of a man. This sinister beast with unearthly stamina dwelt at the center of the Cretan labyrinth which was an elaborate maze-like construction designed by the master architect Daedalus. When Athens lost a battle against Crete, King Minos demanded that during the full moon, seven virgins from Athens would be sent down to the labyrinth to be consumed by the Minotaur.
The dark side of the Minotaur represents man dominated by his lusts and instincts – a savage animal mind governing a human body, allowing the brutal instinctive passions to eclipse reason and discerning. It is said that in order to fight against the darkest instincts of the human ego, one has to go through the labyrinth of the underworld. But, in order to succeed, it is necessary to resort to the true origins of the soul – which does not belong to the physical world – and connect to divinity, or else one will be lost in one´s ego and matter, wandering meaninglessly through the paths of the maze. Without enlightenment of the mind, darkness prevails.
The light side of the Minotaur represents one´s human qualities. In his early age, the Minotaur, the son of King Minos, was called prince Asterion – the ruler of the stars. When he grew up, the darkness in his character took over and he was trapped in the labyrinth for life.
Created from our fears and insecurities, one´s personal Minotaur is a savage beast. It is created from the very things that one fears the most; from the things about oneself that one doesn´t want to admit exist in the darkest places of our hearts. It is one´s shadow-self; the part of ourselves that we continually deny.
The dual nature of human personality can be seen as the culmination of dark and light – the ongoing battle between good and evil in one´s path of life. Only when we realize that the beast does not define us, but instead makes us complete, can we move past the darkness of the heart and emerge into the pure light of awareness.
The myth of Minotaur in a symbolic context is about confronting the unconscious dark side of the human ego; a realization that only when facing our shadow, we can find our true self.
How the Dual Moon Complication Works?
The Dual Moon Complication indicates the full moon and the black moon in the 12 o’clock opening. Both moon talismans will rotate to stand upright in the 12 o’clock opening at their own time of the month. The Dual moon phase rotates anticlockwise: the time between the full moon and the black moon in the 12 o’clock opening is half of 29,5 days. The whole moon cycle is normally 29,5 days from full moon to full moon and black moon to black moon. Since the Dual moon phase works on a 24 hour cycle, it´s important to follow these steps to make sure the moon phase changes in precision with the start of the new day at midnight. During the period of two years, seven and a half months, the calendar deviates one day.
Pull the crown out two positions to enter the time setting mode by hand. Turn the hands past 12 o’clock noon until you see the light full moon talisman leap anticlockwise two times. After reaching this point, continue moving the hands clockwise towards 12 o’clock midnight – any position between 10 and 14.
Now setting of the moon phase so that the light full moon talisman is fully visible in the 12 o’clock opening. To do this, push the crown one step into the case – fast adjustment mode – and turn the crown anticlockwise until the light full moon talisman completely fits the opening in the dial at 12 o’clock.
Using lunar calendar of the year, count the number of days since the last full moon to your current date. Turn the crown so that the full moon talisman leaps two times per day, two leaps for each day that has passed since the last full moon.
Set the precise time in the normal manner by pulling the crown and then adjusting the hands. Important to keep in mind: since you turned the hands past midnight, they are now in the AM period. If for instance the time is 8 PM, you must turn the hands past 12 noon, and then onwards to 8 o’clock. If you don’t do this, the moon phase will change 12 hours later than it should. Finish the setup by pushing the crown into the case. In time, Minotaur will move on up.
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
For the upcoming festive season, Japanese watchmaking giant Seiko presents an exclusive Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT, in a Limited Edition ...
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
In celebration of the Loy Krathong festival, Ateliers deMonaco has created a new piece called the Tourbillon -WAT ARUN. This traditional “fê...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
- Montblanc 1858 Chronograph Tachymeter Blue Limited...
- HYT Skull Bad Boy Limited Edition
- Golden Dreams Geneva - Hand Engraved Apple Watch
- Backes & Strauss - The Princess Elizabeth
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Perpetual Calendar Conce...
- Charmex CX Swiss Military Watch™ RALLYE GMT NERO E...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Singapore Grand...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : CHRONOSWISS
- Victorinox Swiss Army - I.N.O.X. Accessories
- Graham Chronofighter Superlight Carbon Limited Edi...
- Piaget to Display Curated Collection of its Extrao...
- BOVET Grand Feu Enamel Timepieces In Association w...
- BOVET Amadeo® Fleurier VIRTUOSO VII (Retrograde Pe...
- ArtyA Moorish Chrono Tourbillon Monopusher 1/1
- Oris Artix Skeleton
- Northrop & Johnson and Arnold & Son renews their S...
- Zannetti Magnificum “Compass Rose” Jade Edition
- Claude Bernard Automatic Open Heart
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Powder
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Turquoise
- EDOX Chronoffshore-1 Chronograph Automatic
- Hong Kong Based Watch Group Time2U to Unveil Its N...
- Casio G-SHOCK G-STEEL Series – New Models (GST-200...
- RGM Model 151-PR Professional Pilot
- Casio G-SHOCK MRG-G1000DC
- Tissot Le Locle Regulateur
- Rönkkö Minotaur Dual Moon Complication Light Editi...
- ArtyA Race Mahogany Limited Edition
- VANGARDE ‘Chrono Théorie’
- Meccaniche Veloci Quattro Valvole Four Strokes Mon...
- ANGELUS U20 Ultra-Skeleton Tourbillon
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire
- L'Duchen Toledo Collection
- L'Duchen Carcassonne Collection
- TEMPTION CGK205 (Featuring an Improved Integration...
- SAINT HONORÉ Charisma
- ArtyA Lion’s Head Tourbillon
- Roger Dubuis Velvet by Massaro
- Luminox Special Operations Challenge - The 3050 Na...
- Luminox F-22 Raptor Chronograph 9240 Series, Titan...
- Arnold & Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon (...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver Chronogra...
- PRODUCT GALLERY: DARK RUSH WATCHES
- Vulcain to Unveil a New Cricket Movement Baselworl...
- Seiko's Elite Prospex Collection Raises the Bar fo...
- Backes & Strauss Berkeley Emperor Brilliant Tourbi...
- IWC Schaffhausen - Big Pilot’s Watch Perpetual Cal...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : LAURENT FERRIER GENEVE
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2007 - 2009
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2010
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2011
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2012
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2013
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2014
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2016
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2015
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Archives
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne - Novelties 2016
- PRODUCT GALLERY : HAUTLENCE WATCHES
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA THIN – New Edition
- HAUTLENCE - Tourbillon 02 &Tourbillon 03
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Classic Square-Double Balanc...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square Boréal
- HAUTLENCE INVICTUS 04
- BRM Art Car Collection
- Bulgari DIVA ((Diamond Set White gold case, Brown-...
- Bulgari Octo Ultranero
- Bulgari Piccola Lvcea
- AVIATOR MiG-35 Watch Collection
- Bremont MBII White – In Association with Martin-Ba...
- Bremont Z Series - ALT1-ZT/51
- Rotary Les Originales Tradition
- Zannetti Regent Jewellery Owl Limited Edition
- Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer (New Versio...
- Oris Artelier Chronometer, Date
- Dewitt Twenty -8- Eight Skeleton Tourbillon High J...
- Harry Winston Premier Moon Phase 36mm
- Wenger Roadster Black Night
- Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar NBA Special Edition
- OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra “PyeongChang 2018” Limi...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Reopening of Flagsh...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso One Collection
- deLaCour Saqra Black Tie
- Bremont ALT1-C/PB Chronograph
- Hastings & Co Heritage Edition
- Charriol St-Tropez™ 35 GlamMoon
- Gc Watches - Gc-3 Papaya
- Chris Claire Big Date Dual Time
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Boréal
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe Night Blue
- Todd & Marlon - #YOURTIME Collection
- CHRONOSWISS Sirius Flying Regulator
- ARMIN STROM Cognac Watch
- Breitling Avenger Bandit
- Hublot Big Bang Unico Sapphire Limited Edition
- Eza Watches - Sealander
- deGRISOGONO Announces The Opening of Its New Flags...
- ArtyA - Cumbere Tourbillon & Son of Sound Magic Bl...
- ▼ February 2016 (165)
- ► 2015 (1718)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)