The Grand Diamond Magister Dong Son Tourbillon by Speake-Marin features an 18K red gold dial intricately etched with a motif inspired by ancient Dong Son bronze drums inspired by the prehistoric bronze drums of the ancient Dong Son people of Vietnam. Polished bevels lead the eye towards the animated 60-second tourbillon. The Diamond Magister Dong Son is a unique piece in series of 8 tourbillon watches with this design. The meticulously detailed dial is complemented by the drum-like Speake-Marin Piccadilly case in 18k red gold.
In addition to the signature Piccadilly case, the Dong Son Tourbillon possesses other quintessential Speake-Marin qualities including sculpted heat-blued hands, finely finished movement and fluted crown, here set with a scintillating diamond.
The tourbillon has played an important role in the story of Speake-Marin. The first timepiece to bear the Speake-Marin name was the Foundation Watch, a hand-made pocket watch. The watchmaker’s topping tool wheel motif in the Speake-Marin logo, which first appeared in the tourbillon cage of the Foundation Watch, can also be seen in the tourbillon cage of the Dong Son Tourbillon.
The Dong Son Tourbillon’s visually-arresting blued steel hands are also designed in the same style as the hands of the Foundation Watch, the Rosetta Stone of Speake-Marin. Around the circular-grained periphery of the 18k red gold dial, Roman numerals are first engraved, then lacquered, then circular-grained. The polished gold diamond set bezel frames the dial, just as the circular grained guard ring around the escapement frames the tourbillon.
Turning the Dong Son Tourbillon over, the movement featuring hand-finishing can be fully appreciated through the display back. On top of the offset mainspring barrel is the noble platinum micro-rotor, its strong and sober aesthetic counter-balanced by the intricate complexity of the tourbillon.
The lower tourbillon cage is supported by a striking paddle-shaped bridge offering clear visual access to the surrounding gears below. The rhodium-finished German silver bridges and movement plates are circular-grained with polished screw heads and countersinks. Technical details are engraved and gilded on the bridges either side of the platinum rotor.
The unique dial of the Dong Son Tourbillon
These traditional patterns and iconography provide the inspiration for the highly-intricate dial motif of the Speake-Marin Dong Son. The Diamond Magister Dong Son dial motif takes its cues from some of the most revered Dong Son drum creations, including the Hoàng Ha drum, Co Loa drum and the most important of all due to its well-preserved nature and intricate decoration, the famous Ngoc Lu drum.
The top surfaces of these drums are adorned with a central starburst and concentric circles within which are repetitive images of armed warriors and flying egrets as well as geometric hatching. The dial centre motif of the Dong Son Tourbillon follows a similar pattern to these historical masterpieces, with an outer ring of graceful egrets complemented by an inner ring featuring plumed warriors holding their weapons between the 12 points of the eye-catching starburst. These 12 points also form a neat horological reference for the central hands indicating the hours.
It is not only the iconography of the Dong Son drum motif that gives the Dong Son dial its vitality, but also the spectacular precision of the etching in the 1.0mm thick 18k gold dial. The precision-etched areas of the red gold dial are 0.3 mm deep, matte finishing emphasises the ‘all red’ dial treatment and provides a stunning image with the circular-grained, red gold motif.
Calibre SM3, 60 second tourbillon, self-winding movement with platinum mass
Power reserve: ~ 72 hours
Central hours, minutes
Piccadilly case in 18k red gold
Front and back sapphire crystals treated with antireflective coating. Bezel set with 36 baguette diamonds (2.16 cts)
Diamond set crown, round cut diamond (0.2 cts)
Diameter: 42 mm
Water resistance: 3 bar (30 meters)
18k gold chemically etched and hand finished Dong Son dial
Diamond markers at 3, 9 and 12h
Hands: Central Speake-Marin signature “Foundation” style hands in heat blued steel
Alligator. Pin buckle in 18k gold
Grand Diamond Magister Dong Son is unique piece in series of 8 watches with this design.
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
Since 1950s, all major watch manufacturers were confronted on a case type for watches that collectors and fans immediately renamed it “flyin...
- Montblanc 1858 Chronograph Tachymeter Blue Limited...
- HYT Skull Bad Boy Limited Edition
- Golden Dreams Geneva - Hand Engraved Apple Watch
- Backes & Strauss - The Princess Elizabeth
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Perpetual Calendar Conce...
- Charmex CX Swiss Military Watch™ RALLYE GMT NERO E...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Singapore Grand...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : CHRONOSWISS
- Victorinox Swiss Army - I.N.O.X. Accessories
- Graham Chronofighter Superlight Carbon Limited Edi...
- Piaget to Display Curated Collection of its Extrao...
- BOVET Grand Feu Enamel Timepieces In Association w...
- BOVET Amadeo® Fleurier VIRTUOSO VII (Retrograde Pe...
- ArtyA Moorish Chrono Tourbillon Monopusher 1/1
- Oris Artix Skeleton
- Northrop & Johnson and Arnold & Son renews their S...
- Zannetti Magnificum “Compass Rose” Jade Edition
- Claude Bernard Automatic Open Heart
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Powder
- Claude Bernard Lady Mini Turquoise
- EDOX Chronoffshore-1 Chronograph Automatic
- Hong Kong Based Watch Group Time2U to Unveil Its N...
- Casio G-SHOCK G-STEEL Series – New Models (GST-200...
- RGM Model 151-PR Professional Pilot
- Casio G-SHOCK MRG-G1000DC
- Tissot Le Locle Regulateur
- Rönkkö Minotaur Dual Moon Complication Light Editi...
- ArtyA Race Mahogany Limited Edition
- VANGARDE ‘Chrono Théorie’
- Meccaniche Veloci Quattro Valvole Four Strokes Mon...
- ANGELUS U20 Ultra-Skeleton Tourbillon
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire
- L'Duchen Toledo Collection
- L'Duchen Carcassonne Collection
- TEMPTION CGK205 (Featuring an Improved Integration...
- SAINT HONORÉ Charisma
- ArtyA Lion’s Head Tourbillon
- Roger Dubuis Velvet by Massaro
- Luminox Special Operations Challenge - The 3050 Na...
- Luminox F-22 Raptor Chronograph 9240 Series, Titan...
- Arnold & Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon (...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver Chronogra...
- PRODUCT GALLERY: DARK RUSH WATCHES
- Vulcain to Unveil a New Cricket Movement Baselworl...
- Seiko's Elite Prospex Collection Raises the Bar fo...
- Backes & Strauss Berkeley Emperor Brilliant Tourbi...
- IWC Schaffhausen - Big Pilot’s Watch Perpetual Cal...
- PRODUCT GALLERY : LAURENT FERRIER GENEVE
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2007 - 2009
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2010
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2011
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2012
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2013
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2014
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2016
- BULGARI WATCHES - Novelties 2015
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Archives
- Vacheron Constantin Watches - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne - Novelties 2016
- PRODUCT GALLERY : HAUTLENCE WATCHES
- IWC Schaffhausen - Novelties 2016
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA THIN – New Edition
- HAUTLENCE - Tourbillon 02 &Tourbillon 03
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Classic Square-Double Balanc...
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Square Boréal
- HAUTLENCE INVICTUS 04
- BRM Art Car Collection
- Bulgari DIVA ((Diamond Set White gold case, Brown-...
- Bulgari Octo Ultranero
- Bulgari Piccola Lvcea
- AVIATOR MiG-35 Watch Collection
- Bremont MBII White – In Association with Martin-Ba...
- Bremont Z Series - ALT1-ZT/51
- Rotary Les Originales Tradition
- Zannetti Regent Jewellery Owl Limited Edition
- Glashütte Original Senator Chronometer (New Versio...
- Oris Artelier Chronometer, Date
- Dewitt Twenty -8- Eight Skeleton Tourbillon High J...
- Harry Winston Premier Moon Phase 36mm
- Wenger Roadster Black Night
- Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar NBA Special Edition
- OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra “PyeongChang 2018” Limi...
- Audemars Piguet Celebrates the Reopening of Flagsh...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso One Collection
- deLaCour Saqra Black Tie
- Bremont ALT1-C/PB Chronograph
- Hastings & Co Heritage Edition
- Charriol St-Tropez™ 35 GlamMoon
- Gc Watches - Gc-3 Papaya
- Chris Claire Big Date Dual Time
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Boréal
- Laurent Ferrier Galet Traveller Globe Night Blue
- Todd & Marlon - #YOURTIME Collection
- CHRONOSWISS Sirius Flying Regulator
- ARMIN STROM Cognac Watch
- Breitling Avenger Bandit
- Hublot Big Bang Unico Sapphire Limited Edition
- Eza Watches - Sealander
- deGRISOGONO Announces The Opening of Its New Flags...
- ArtyA - Cumbere Tourbillon & Son of Sound Magic Bl...
- ▼ February 2016 (165)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)