Ulysse Nardin welcomes a new model into its Marine Chronometer collection. Produced in a limited edition of 18 white gold pieces, the Grand Deck Marine Tourbillon model boasts a nautical-inspired design and incorporates cutting edge technology and innovative mechanisms.
On the dial, hand-crafted wood marquetry evokes a ship’s deck, while the time display is original and creative: a boom pulled by super-strong nanowires indicates the minutes, while the hours are displayed on two concentric disks. The patented device, which is regulated by a second barrel, also incorporates a majestic tourbillon.
In the innovative Grand Deck Marine Tourbillon model, the retrograde minutes display takes the form of a boom. The technology is visually fascinating, and as complex as it is accomplished. Linked to a 60-second flying tourbillon, this patented system is drawn by a super-strong hi-tech fiber that is thinner than a human hair. Impressive all-round, the timepiece showcases breakthrough technology in the unmistakable nautical-themed design of the Marine Chronometer family, of which it displays the legendary traits.
In a proud nod to its maritime roots, the Grand Deck Marine Tourbillon model incorporates the elements of a ship’s deck to display the time in a creative and original manner. The minutes hand is replaced by a boom - the horizontal spar used to angle the head sail. Working like the halyard cord that is used to hoist the sails of a ship, a wire pulls the boom across a graduated arc. The boom jumps back once an hour, its speed regulated by a purpose-designed retrograde mechanism. The mesmerizing leap takes 3 to 4 seconds and can be viewed through the case back.
The boom is pulled by a nanowire that measures a mere 0.0357 mm in diameter and is capable of withstanding traction of 1.41 kg without stretching. The nanowire is made of polyethylene Dyneema® fiber, a material that is used in ship’s rigging and is many times stronger than steel. In a first for watchmaking, the transmission system loops the wires through a rigging screw: two strands are visible, and a third strand fastens the turnbuckle. The patented system, which is visible on the dial, is exclusive to Ulysse Nardin. Working like the winches that hoist the sails on deck, four ‘pulleys’ use a drive gear, a spiral tensioning spring and two lock pins. The jumping hour is driven by two large concentric disks that turn in real time, and is displayed through a double aperture. A corrector positioned at 2 o’clock can be used to set the time quickly.
The double-barrel design (one for the movement and another for the display) prevents the complication from interfering with the workings of the watch. To the rear of the movement, the leading and unloading of the balance spring can be viewed through the skeletonized barrels, a feature that is both functional and fascinating. When the watch is wound, the spring winds up into the center of the barrel. Conversely, when the spring is spent it unwinds out towards the edge of the barrel.
This compact example of mechanical ingenuity is housed in a white-gold case measuring 44 mm in diameter and water-resistant to 100 meters. The dial of the Grand Deck Marine Tourbillon conjures a ship’s aesthetic and technical finesse. The fluted bezel is complimented by a screw-down crown with blue rubber molding. Hand-crafted marquetry evokes the sun-soaked teak of a ship's bridge. The blued aluminum boom sweeps across a translucent arc of blue spinel that extends from 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock. The boom is drawn by a wire connected to four pulleys secured with blued star-shaped screws, which are echoed by the tourbillon decorated with the Ulysse Nardin anchor. In a final flourish, border detailing and ornamental wires that adorn the top of the dial offer further subtle references to nautical design. In the signature of the Marine Chronometer collection, the Ulysse Nardin logo, placed between two floating maritime symbols that correspond to the letters U and N, echoes the design of the ship’s chronometers that were historically produced by the Manufacture.
This timepiece is available in an exclusive limited edition of 18 pieces on an alligator strap with a white gold folding buckle.
Ref. 6300-300/GD: 18 ct white gold
Limited Edition: 18 pieces
Tourbillon with an exclusive boom display
Power-Reserve: Approximately 48 hours
Jumping hour in a double aperture
Minutes on a graduated arc
60 seconds flying tourbillon
Forward and backward hour corrector
18 ct white gold, fluted bezel
Crown: Screw-down security crown covered with rubber
Diameter: 44 mm
Water-Resistance: 100 m
Crystal: Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
Case-Back: Sapphire crystal
Hand-crafted wood marquetry
Minutes arc of blue spinel in the centre of the dial
Blued aluminum boom indicates minutes
Leather with a folding buckle
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
Anonimo reinforces its presence in Verbier and announces a new partnership with the W Hotel in the Place Blanche. Present this year in the s...
To celebrate the launch of the Bentley Continental Supersports, Breitling for Bentley has created a limited-edition chronograph with a titan...
Japanese watchmaker CITIZEN has announced their foray into online retail with the launch of their Online Store (www.citizenshop.me), accessi...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
As part of its expansion in the Russian and eastern European markets, Hublot – alongside Mercury, its long-standing partner – increases its ...
The Vintage Style Calendar is the French watch brand William L. 1985's latest offering and has a brand new canvas blue style textile str...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
This exclusive limited edition timepiece incorporates two innovations. Firstly, the watch case is made from Magic Gold, the first scratch-re...
- JS Watch co. Sif Volcano Edition
- SARCAR Goldfish
- REBELLION Sapphire 540 Magnum Tourbillon
- Maîtres Du Temps - Fine Arts Pocket Watch Collecti...
- Maurice Lacroix Aikon Collection
- Maurice Lacroix - New Eliros Collection : Eliros 4...
- Maurice Lacroix - New Pontos Collection: Pontos 41...
- Maurice Lacroix - Masterpiece Skeleton & Masterpie...
- Avenir Métiers D’art First Prize INMA 2015 Won by ...
- Tissot T-Race MotoGPTM Automatic Limited Edition 2...
- BOVET - Lady BOVET Flower of Life Amadeo® Fleurier...
- Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar CBA Special Edition
- Zenith Academy Tourbillon Georges Favre-Jacot Blac...
- Zenith Heritage Pilot Café Racer
- Tissot Quickster Chicago Bulls Special Edition
- Tissot PRC 200 Tour de France Special Edition
- Tissot Le Locle Regulateur
- Tissot Le Locle Automatic Lady
- Tissot Heritage1936
- Tissot Generosi-T
- Tissot Bridgeport Lepine Mechanical Pocket Watch
- Tissot Bella Ora Piccola
- Hemel - HM (Hemel Military) Series Watch Collectio...
- Vacheron Constantin Maître Cabinotier Retrograde A...
- TAG Heuer becomes Official Series Sponsor of FIM E...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Batman-DNA Gotham City Limited Ed...
- Lebois& Co Avantgarde Date - 2nd Re-launch Edition...
- Gc LadyChic Firework
- Harry Winston Premier Precious Weaving Automatic 3...
- Graff Luxury Watches – Gyrograff World
- Graff Luxury Watches - Mastergraff Perpetual Calen...
- Gc LadyChic Diamond Swirl
- Emile Chouriet “Alchimie”
- Omega Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon “Meteorite...
- Omega Speedmaster “CK2998” Limited Edition
- Gc Structura - Swiss Made Quartz Chronograph
- Harry Winston Project Z10 Limited Edition
- Hamilton Jazzmaster Face 2 Face II Limited Edition...
- Hamilton Khaki Field Full Black Collection
- Emile Chouriet Classic Wisdom
- Harry Winston Histoire de Tourbillon 7 Limited Edi...
- Andreas Strehler Lune Exacte
- Andreas Strehler Time Shadow Limited Edition
- Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime Ref. 6300
- Perrelet Lab Collection
- Rebellion RE-1 Lugaci
- Salvatore Ferragamo F-80
- Salvatore Ferragamo F-80 MOTION
- Dreyfuss & Co Series 1924 Calibre 39 Limited Editi...
- Dreyfuss & Co Series 1924
- Dreyfuss & Co Series 1974 Diamond Collection
- Rotary Tradition Line - Tradition Automatic & Trad...
- Rotary Ultra Slim
- Rotary Legacy Collection
- Rodania launches new, high-quality Belgian watch b...
- Roamer of Switzerland - Superior Business Multifun...
- Roamer of Switzerland - Swiss Matic Swinging Heart...
- Roamer of Switzerland – Searock Ladies
- Roamer of Switzerland – Lady Sweetheart
- Perrelet Diamond Flower Amytis
- Versace Rêvive
- Versace DV 25
- Versace Vanitas Ceramic
- Patek Philippe World Time Chronograph Ref. 5930
- Patek Philippe Calatrava "Timeless White" Ref. 712...
- Versace V-Race Diver
- SILVANA Lady LeMarbre 28mm
- Patek Philippe Annual Calendar Ref. 5396
- Patek Philippe World Time Watch Ref. 5230
- Leroy Osmior Chronographe Monopoussoir Automatique...
- Rolex Cosmograph Daytona - A Chronograph Born To R...
- Breitling for Bentley - GMT B04 S Carbon Body Limi...
- Breitling Avenger Hurricane
- Breitling Superocean Héritage Chronoworks® Limited...
- DOXA Trofeo TC Advance Limited Edition
- DOXA TELEMETER
- DOXA - New Trofeo T-Master Limited Edition (Model ...
- DOXA - New Shark Ceramica L Collection
- Movado Edge Watch Collection – In Collaboration wi...
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Haute Voltige
- Jaermann & Stübi Royal Open Course Timer & GMT Bra...
- Jaermann & Stübi Ian Woosnam Serie 1 Limited Editi...
- Swiss Military by Chrono - SM34054 Limited Edition...
- SWISS MILITARY by Chrono - Official Licensed Produ...
- Certina DS-1 Powermatic 80
- Armand Nicolet O.H.M. LB6 Limited Edition
- Certina DS-8 Chronograph Moon Phase
- Anonimo Militare Alpini Camouflage
- Ali & Co - Mysterali and Alicious (Reversible Watc...
- Breguet Perles Impériales High Jewellery Watch
- BREGUET TYPE XXI 3817
- Breguet Reine De Naples Princesse Mini 9818
- Breguet Héritage Grande Date 5410
- Breguet Classique Phase De Lune Dame 9088
- Breguet Classique 7147
- Breguet Classique Hora Mundi 5727
- Breguet Tradition Dame 7038
- Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 70...
- Anonimo Militare VINTAGE Limited Edition
- The Rolex Daytona
- ▼ March 2016 (200)
- ► 2015 (1718)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)