In 2015, with the introduction of its “Chamber of Wonders” collection, Girard-Perregaux provided its first glimpse into the field of miniature creation with the artistic tradition known as cabinets of curiosities. This art form made popular during the Renaissance was imbued with magic and fantasy, held the unmistakable charm of adventure.
An infinitely small object becomes a canvas for the creativity of artisans specializing in rare handcrafts, which Swiss fine watchmaking has renamed artistic crafts. In 2016, Girard-Perregaux is continuing to celebrate this meticulous skill and patience in an original manner with the second installment of the “Chamber of Wonders”.
Here, the values of aestheticism and fine workmanship, on which the Manufacture has specialized since 1791, has found a new view even in the confined space of a watch dial. Against a backdrop of poetry, the beckoning sea, and fantasy, the pieces are invaded by a winning combination of exceptional materials and techniques that are becoming increasingly scarce.
In 2016, the brand is expanding its Girard-Perregaux 1966 pink gold collection with a trio of numbered pieces powered by a self-winding Manufacture caliber with dials that either celebrate the Earth as seen from space, or space as viewed from Earth. These interplanetary journeys are opening up the “Chamber of Wonders” to even more colorful interpretations of the past, and to new understandings of objects that are references in world history. They are the original combination of the manufacture-based arts of a mountainous area dedicated to excellent watchmaking and the multidisciplinary knowledge representing the openess to the world.
More than simple demonstrations of manual skills, the map representations reproduced and reinterpreted on the dials of the three 2016 “Chamber of Wonders” models celebrate the visions of scholars and famous figures in the history of humanity. They tell a tale of perceptions, which demonstrates the extent of knowledge at the time when their illustrious creators first expressed them. Their connection to the passing of time and its creation of certainties is undeniable.
The Chamber of Wonders – Center of the Universe Earth
Greco-Roman astronomer Ptolemy, one of the founding fathers of geography, the creation of which dates back to less than one hundred years AD, was fascinated by the interactions of the Earth and Sun, and the Earth and Moon, as well as their influence on climates.
The Chamber of Wonders – Center of the Universe Sun
Contrary to geocentricism, which places the Earth at the center of the universe, heliocentricism makes the Sun a fixed point in the universe around which celestial bodies revolve, including the Earth. This groundbreaking theory revolutionized scientific and philosophical thinking in the mid 16th century. It was introduced by astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543), a Polish doctor and physician, whose book “On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres” was printed for the first time in Nuremberg in 1543, while he was still alive. History later revealed that the scholar had already shared disruptive theories thirty years prior, which the world came to call the Copernican Revolution. Ever since, the Moon has revolved around the Earth, which in turn rotates on its axis and revolves around the Sun, much to the annoyance of Ptolemy and the certitudes of the past.
The Chamber of Wonders – Celestial Globe
Vincenzo Maria Coronelli (1650-1718) was a cartographer, cosmographer and a producer of globes. World history is indebted to this Franciscan monk – a doctor of theology and encyclopedist for the two giant globes he created in Paris in homage to the Sun King, Louis XIV. Each globe measure 382 centimeters in diameter and weigh around 2 tons. One is terrestrial, the other celestial, depicting the sky as it was seen at the time of the monarch’s birth, on September 5, 1638. On the 1,880 celestial bodies that it depicts, 72 constellations adopt the forms of whimsical animals and mythological figures. The completely blue-toned work, comprised of twelve equal areas symbolizing the seasons when the Sun crosses the zodiac constellations, was painted and illuminated by Jean-Baptiste Corneille.
Collection: The Chamber of Wonders
Material: pink gold
Diameter: 40.00 mm
Height: 9.94 mm
Glass: sapphire anti-reflective
Case-back: sapphire crystal.
Water resistance: 30 metres (3 ATM)
Center of the Universe Earth: aventurine, lapis, mother-of-pearl and hand-painting
Center of the Universe Sun: grey jade, cornelian, orange aventurine and pale orange jasper and hand-painting
Celestial globe: sapphire crystal dome and hand-painting
Reference: GP03300-0060, mechanical with automatic winding
Diameter: 25.60 mm (111/2’’’)
Height: 4.20 mm
Frequency: 28,800 Vib/h – (4 Hz)
Number of components: 205
Power reserve: min. 46 hours
Functions: hour, minute
Material: stitched black alligator
Buckle: pink gold pin buckle
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
For the upcoming festive season, Japanese watchmaking giant Seiko presents an exclusive Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT, in a Limited Edition ...
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
In celebration of the Loy Krathong festival, Ateliers deMonaco has created a new piece called the Tourbillon -WAT ARUN. This traditional “fê...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
- T F Est. 1968 Automatic Belt
- RGM 151-COE Corps of Engineers Watch
- Oris El Hierro Limited Edition
- KERBEDANZ Polvs Arcticus, Double Tourbillon GMT
- Hublot Big Bang Sang Bleu Limited Edition
- Ace Indian Cricketer Rohit Sharma becomes the Bran...
- Arnold & Son Métiers d’Art Dragon Unique Pieces - ...
- ArtyA WOOD Son of Sound Tourbillon
- Jaeger-LeCoultre opens its boutiques in Vancouver ...
- Frederique Constant Classics Art of Porcelain
- Vacheron Constantin Quai de l’Ile Stainless Steel ...
- IWC Schaffhausen: Ingenieur Chronograph Edition “7...
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens Its Third Italian Boutique ...
- MeisterSinger - Circularis Automatic & Second-Gene...
- MeisterSinger Paleograph with Gray Dial
- MeisterSinger Singulator With Gray Dial, Limited E...
- MeisterSinger Salthora Meta Transparent
- Graham Graham Chronofighter Vintage
- Balticus Grey Seal
- Breitling Navitimer 1884 Limited Edition
- Hublot Celebrates Grand Opening of Its New Fifth A...
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 1 TIME ZONE 'Como Edition'
- Wristwatch Revival - A Traditional Wristwatch in a...
- Glashütte Original Opens New Brand Boutiques in Be...
- E.C.Andersson Bohuslän Swiss Made Automatic Dive W...
- ArtyA Son of Sound Guitar “God Save ArtyA”
- XERIC SOLOSCOPE Automatic
- MB&F Legacy Machine No1 M.A.D. Dubai Limited Editi...
- Glashütte Original Senator Excellence
- Balmain Swiss Watches Kerria
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Annual Calendar Editi...
- Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 1969 Tour Auto Edit...
- G. Gerlach m/s Batory Limited Edition
- Straton Watch Company Curve-Chrono
- Roger Dubuis - Blossom Velvet Pink and Blossom Vel...
- Carl F. Bucherer Manero Flyback
- Gavox Avidiver
- LEPSI Presents Demagnetiser & Mobile App
- ANDERSEN Genève “Perpetual Secular Calendar” 20th ...
- Edox World Curling Federation Timepieces Collectio...
- Lebeau-Courally Le Marquis Haute Joaillerie
- Balmain Swiss Watches – Euphelia
- Frédéric Jouvenot FJ ACE-001 Automatic Chronograph...
- Luxury Suisse and World Watch Market to make debut...
- Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph Chelsea Limited ...
- Bell & Ross - BR‑X1 RS16 Skeleton Chronograph & BR...
- Leroy Marine Automatic Chronograph
- Leroy Marine Automatic Deck Chronometer
- CITIZEN Eco Drive AT9082-01A
- Vulcain First Lady Jewellery Automatic Limited Edi...
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch 39mm, Electric Blue ...
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch – Classic Automatic
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Cloisonné Grand Feu “Posei...
- Vulcain Anniversary Heart Calendar
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch Tradition, Featuring...
- Versace V-RACE Spring/Summer 2016 Collection
- Versace Dylos Icon
- Hermès Slim d’Hermès Pocket Panthère
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès, New Models
- Oris Williams Valtteri Bottas Limited Edition
- Oris Williams Chronograph Carbon Fibre Extreme
- HYT H1 Ghost
- Franck Muller Opens the First Luxury Boutique in Y...
- H. Moser & Cie. Celebrates the 150th Anniversary o...
- Calvin Klein bare
- Hermès Pocket plein cuir
- Hermès Arceau Pocket La promenade de Platon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Email grand feu
- Hermès Faubourg Manchette Joaillerie
- Hermès Arceau Tigre Limited Edition
- KERBEDANZ TLALOC
- KERBEDANZ VERT
- HUBLOT King Power Unico Special Edition “Chengdu S...
- Urban Jürgensen Jules Collection - Reference 2240 ...
- Mondaine Enhances Watch Functionality with Oberthu...
- NOMOS Tetra neomatik
- Mondaine SBB Nord Sud
- Mondaine SBB Mini Giant
- Mondaine SBB Giant Black & White
- Mondaine SBB Simply Elegant
- Mondaine SBB Evo Petite
- Edox Grand Ocean Extreme Sailing Series™ Edition
- Edox Grand Ocean Automatic
- Edox Grand Ocean Slim
- Edox Les Bemonts Perpetual Calendar
- Griffin Emblem Launches Their Third Collection of ...
- Salvatore Ferragamo - Ferragamo Style
- Salvatore Ferragamo Signature Collection
- Salvatore Ferragamo Gancino
- Urban Jürgensen Reference 1741 PT
- CORUM - Bubble Tourbillon Chronograph and Bubble T...
- Christophe Claret Layla
- Christophe Claret X-TREM-1 (New Versions)
- Montblanc Collection Villeret Tourbillon Bi-Cylind...
- SARCAR Quantième Classique
- Oris ProDiver Chronograph (New Version)
- KERBEDANZ ESPERANZA
- KERBEDANZ PAON
- KERBEDANZ FLORENCE
- Jaquet Droz - The Charming Bird (New Versions)
- ▼ April 2016 (191)
- ► 2015 (1718)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)