In 2015, with the introduction of its “Chamber of Wonders” collection, Girard-Perregaux provided its first glimpse into the field of miniature creation with the artistic tradition known as cabinets of curiosities. This art form made popular during the Renaissance was imbued with magic and fantasy, held the unmistakable charm of adventure.
An infinitely small object becomes a canvas for the creativity of artisans specializing in rare handcrafts, which Swiss fine watchmaking has renamed artistic crafts. In 2016, Girard-Perregaux is continuing to celebrate this meticulous skill and patience in an original manner with the second installment of the “Chamber of Wonders”.
Here, the values of aestheticism and fine workmanship, on which the Manufacture has specialized since 1791, has found a new view even in the confined space of a watch dial. Against a backdrop of poetry, the beckoning sea, and fantasy, the pieces are invaded by a winning combination of exceptional materials and techniques that are becoming increasingly scarce.
In 2016, the brand is expanding its Girard-Perregaux 1966 pink gold collection with a trio of numbered pieces powered by a self-winding Manufacture caliber with dials that either celebrate the Earth as seen from space, or space as viewed from Earth. These interplanetary journeys are opening up the “Chamber of Wonders” to even more colorful interpretations of the past, and to new understandings of objects that are references in world history. They are the original combination of the manufacture-based arts of a mountainous area dedicated to excellent watchmaking and the multidisciplinary knowledge representing the openess to the world.
More than simple demonstrations of manual skills, the map representations reproduced and reinterpreted on the dials of the three 2016 “Chamber of Wonders” models celebrate the visions of scholars and famous figures in the history of humanity. They tell a tale of perceptions, which demonstrates the extent of knowledge at the time when their illustrious creators first expressed them. Their connection to the passing of time and its creation of certainties is undeniable.
The Chamber of Wonders – Center of the Universe Earth
Greco-Roman astronomer Ptolemy, one of the founding fathers of geography, the creation of which dates back to less than one hundred years AD, was fascinated by the interactions of the Earth and Sun, and the Earth and Moon, as well as their influence on climates.
The Chamber of Wonders – Center of the Universe Sun
Contrary to geocentricism, which places the Earth at the center of the universe, heliocentricism makes the Sun a fixed point in the universe around which celestial bodies revolve, including the Earth. This groundbreaking theory revolutionized scientific and philosophical thinking in the mid 16th century. It was introduced by astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543), a Polish doctor and physician, whose book “On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres” was printed for the first time in Nuremberg in 1543, while he was still alive. History later revealed that the scholar had already shared disruptive theories thirty years prior, which the world came to call the Copernican Revolution. Ever since, the Moon has revolved around the Earth, which in turn rotates on its axis and revolves around the Sun, much to the annoyance of Ptolemy and the certitudes of the past.
The Chamber of Wonders – Celestial Globe
Vincenzo Maria Coronelli (1650-1718) was a cartographer, cosmographer and a producer of globes. World history is indebted to this Franciscan monk – a doctor of theology and encyclopedist for the two giant globes he created in Paris in homage to the Sun King, Louis XIV. Each globe measure 382 centimeters in diameter and weigh around 2 tons. One is terrestrial, the other celestial, depicting the sky as it was seen at the time of the monarch’s birth, on September 5, 1638. On the 1,880 celestial bodies that it depicts, 72 constellations adopt the forms of whimsical animals and mythological figures. The completely blue-toned work, comprised of twelve equal areas symbolizing the seasons when the Sun crosses the zodiac constellations, was painted and illuminated by Jean-Baptiste Corneille.
Collection: The Chamber of Wonders
Material: pink gold
Diameter: 40.00 mm
Height: 9.94 mm
Glass: sapphire anti-reflective
Case-back: sapphire crystal.
Water resistance: 30 metres (3 ATM)
Center of the Universe Earth: aventurine, lapis, mother-of-pearl and hand-painting
Center of the Universe Sun: grey jade, cornelian, orange aventurine and pale orange jasper and hand-painting
Celestial globe: sapphire crystal dome and hand-painting
Reference: GP03300-0060, mechanical with automatic winding
Diameter: 25.60 mm (111/2’’’)
Height: 4.20 mm
Frequency: 28,800 Vib/h – (4 Hz)
Number of components: 205
Power reserve: min. 46 hours
Functions: hour, minute
Material: stitched black alligator
Buckle: pink gold pin buckle
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
- T F Est. 1968 Automatic Belt
- RGM 151-COE Corps of Engineers Watch
- Oris El Hierro Limited Edition
- KERBEDANZ Polvs Arcticus, Double Tourbillon GMT
- Hublot Big Bang Sang Bleu Limited Edition
- Ace Indian Cricketer Rohit Sharma becomes the Bran...
- Arnold & Son Métiers d’Art Dragon Unique Pieces - ...
- ArtyA WOOD Son of Sound Tourbillon
- Jaeger-LeCoultre opens its boutiques in Vancouver ...
- Frederique Constant Classics Art of Porcelain
- Vacheron Constantin Quai de l’Ile Stainless Steel ...
- IWC Schaffhausen: Ingenieur Chronograph Edition “7...
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens Its Third Italian Boutique ...
- MeisterSinger - Circularis Automatic & Second-Gene...
- MeisterSinger Paleograph with Gray Dial
- MeisterSinger Singulator With Gray Dial, Limited E...
- MeisterSinger Salthora Meta Transparent
- Graham Graham Chronofighter Vintage
- Balticus Grey Seal
- Breitling Navitimer 1884 Limited Edition
- Hublot Celebrates Grand Opening of Its New Fifth A...
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 1 TIME ZONE 'Como Edition'
- Wristwatch Revival - A Traditional Wristwatch in a...
- Glashütte Original Opens New Brand Boutiques in Be...
- E.C.Andersson Bohuslän Swiss Made Automatic Dive W...
- ArtyA Son of Sound Guitar “God Save ArtyA”
- XERIC SOLOSCOPE Automatic
- MB&F Legacy Machine No1 M.A.D. Dubai Limited Editi...
- Glashütte Original Senator Excellence
- Balmain Swiss Watches Kerria
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Annual Calendar Editi...
- Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 1969 Tour Auto Edit...
- G. Gerlach m/s Batory Limited Edition
- Straton Watch Company Curve-Chrono
- Roger Dubuis - Blossom Velvet Pink and Blossom Vel...
- Carl F. Bucherer Manero Flyback
- Gavox Avidiver
- LEPSI Presents Demagnetiser & Mobile App
- ANDERSEN Genève “Perpetual Secular Calendar” 20th ...
- Edox World Curling Federation Timepieces Collectio...
- Lebeau-Courally Le Marquis Haute Joaillerie
- Balmain Swiss Watches – Euphelia
- Frédéric Jouvenot FJ ACE-001 Automatic Chronograph...
- Luxury Suisse and World Watch Market to make debut...
- Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph Chelsea Limited ...
- Bell & Ross - BR‑X1 RS16 Skeleton Chronograph & BR...
- Leroy Marine Automatic Chronograph
- Leroy Marine Automatic Deck Chronometer
- CITIZEN Eco Drive AT9082-01A
- Vulcain First Lady Jewellery Automatic Limited Edi...
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch 39mm, Electric Blue ...
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch – Classic Automatic
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Cloisonné Grand Feu “Posei...
- Vulcain Anniversary Heart Calendar
- Vulcain 50s Presidents’ Watch Tradition, Featuring...
- Versace V-RACE Spring/Summer 2016 Collection
- Versace Dylos Icon
- Hermès Slim d’Hermès Pocket Panthère
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès, New Models
- Oris Williams Valtteri Bottas Limited Edition
- Oris Williams Chronograph Carbon Fibre Extreme
- HYT H1 Ghost
- Franck Muller Opens the First Luxury Boutique in Y...
- H. Moser & Cie. Celebrates the 150th Anniversary o...
- Calvin Klein bare
- Hermès Pocket plein cuir
- Hermès Arceau Pocket La promenade de Platon
- Hermès - Slim d’Hermès Email grand feu
- Hermès Faubourg Manchette Joaillerie
- Hermès Arceau Tigre Limited Edition
- KERBEDANZ TLALOC
- KERBEDANZ VERT
- HUBLOT King Power Unico Special Edition “Chengdu S...
- Urban Jürgensen Jules Collection - Reference 2240 ...
- Mondaine Enhances Watch Functionality with Oberthu...
- NOMOS Tetra neomatik
- Mondaine SBB Nord Sud
- Mondaine SBB Mini Giant
- Mondaine SBB Giant Black & White
- Mondaine SBB Simply Elegant
- Mondaine SBB Evo Petite
- Edox Grand Ocean Extreme Sailing Series™ Edition
- Edox Grand Ocean Automatic
- Edox Grand Ocean Slim
- Edox Les Bemonts Perpetual Calendar
- Griffin Emblem Launches Their Third Collection of ...
- Salvatore Ferragamo - Ferragamo Style
- Salvatore Ferragamo Signature Collection
- Salvatore Ferragamo Gancino
- Urban Jürgensen Reference 1741 PT
- CORUM - Bubble Tourbillon Chronograph and Bubble T...
- Christophe Claret Layla
- Christophe Claret X-TREM-1 (New Versions)
- Montblanc Collection Villeret Tourbillon Bi-Cylind...
- SARCAR Quantième Classique
- Oris ProDiver Chronograph (New Version)
- KERBEDANZ ESPERANZA
- KERBEDANZ PAON
- KERBEDANZ FLORENCE
- Jaquet Droz - The Charming Bird (New Versions)
- ▼ April 2016 (191)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)