The new Montblanc TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept has been designed for Montblanc Ambassador and Chinese professional badminton player, Lin Dan, who completed the "Super Grand Slam", having won all nine major titles in the badminton world: Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Super Series Masters Finals, All England Open, Asian Games, and Asian Championships, becoming the first and only player to achieve this feat. He is also the winner of five World Championship titles. Affectionately named "Super Dan" by his fans, the 33-year-old athlete stands out due to his relentless pursuit of excellence and perfection, as well as for his incredible energy, spirit and sense of style. Lin Dan became a Montblanc Ambassador for Mainland China in 2014 and has become the inspiration behind a number of innovative developments in the TimeWalker Collection. Both Lin Dan and Montblanc share a pioneering spirit and a desire to push the boundaries of excellence.
After this year’s successful launch of the TimeWalker ExoTourbillon Minute Chronograph at the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) in Geneva, Montblanc is completing the TimeWalker Collection with the new TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept. The TimeWalker line is highly appreciated for its fusion of revolutionary materials and mechanics combined with the traditional codes of fine watchmaking.
Montblanc has concentrated its research and development on innovative and revolutionary materials for the TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept. The Maison's engineers have worked on a combination of black DLC titanium for the horns and ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon elements for the middle case, case back, bezel and crown, making the new TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept one of the lightest mechanical timepieces in the world — a mere 14.88 grams.
ITR²®, otherwise known as Innovative, Technical, Revolutionary Resin, is a composite material charged with carbon nanotubes. It is extremely difficult to manufacture, with only a handful of specialists able to make watch cases out of it. It is eight times lighter than steel and four times lighter than titanium. Montblanc continues to innovate with this outstanding material by combining it, for the first time, with Kevlar®/carbon, a highly resistant synthetic fibre, to reach utmost robustness, creating a world première in case-making materials.
The weightlessness of the 40 mm case construction is also reinforced by the horns made of titanium that have been skeletonized, satin-finished and treated with a black DLC coating for ultimate scratch resistance. The Maison has also equipped the case with an ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon crown adorned with the Montblanc emblem. Mineral glass on both the dial and the case back of the timepiece also helps keep weight to the strict minimum for increased comfort and agility.
A close look at the face of the timepiece reveals a number of technical details that increase the sportiness, weightlessness and performance of the TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept. The absence of a traditional dial immediately draws the eye into the movement with its handcrafted skeletonized components that hark back to the heritage of the 158-year-old Montblanc Manufacture in Villeret, formerly known as the Minerva Manufacture. The decision to skeletonize the movement was not only an aesthetic choice, however, as careful attention was paid to keeping the overall weight to a minimum. Even the small seconds subdial at six o'clock has been skeletonized for additional lightness and transparency. This anthracite subdial has been crafted out of super-light anodized aluminium and applied directly to the titanium mainplate, along with its elegant red-tipped Minerva arrow for increased legibility. Other specific details include an engraving at eight o'clock of the five stars from the five most important championships won of the Badminton’s Grand Slam, an engraving at three o'clock of the two stars from the two rounds of the Badminton’s Grand Slam won by Lin Dan, a minute track that has been etched directly onto the mainplate with black dots framed in grey for the five-minute markers and black anodized aluminium and skeletonized lance-shaped hands. All these elements reinforce the strong TimeWalker signature aesthetics, while keeping performance at the forefront of design.
The TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept is equipped with the new Montblanc manually-wound Calibre MB M62.48, featuring the hours, minutes, small seconds with a 50-hour power reserve. The design of the movement is inspired by the historic Minerva Pythagore movement with its straight architectural bridge shapes that follow Pythagoras's Golden Ratio. Pythagoras discovered that beauty was associated with the ratio of small integers, and by respecting these ratios he could create perfect harmony with proportions. The Montblanc Calibre MB M62.48 is the modern-day interpretation of the historical Minerva movement that was designed in 1943.
This contemporary movement has been completely redesigned in terms of materials and finishing. The skeletonized main plate and the five bridges have all been crafted out of titanium for an extreme lightness, while preserving the robustness of the movement.
The bridges have been given a three-dimensional effect with alternating satin and grained finishes, while the other components have been hand-chamfered, hand-polished and hand-satin finished. The result is a highly contemporary, ultra-light movement of only 4.73 grams.
Montblanc TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept
Montblanc Manufacture Calibre MB M62.48
Type of movement: Mechanical movement with small seconds
Dimensions: Diameter= 31.6 mm; height= 3.9 mm
No. of components: 153
No. of rubies: 19
Power reserve: Approx. 50 hours
Balance: Balance with screws, diameter= 9.7 mm; moment of inertia= 15 mgcm²
Frequency: 18,000 A/h (2.5 Hz)
Hairspring: Flat with Phillips terminal curve
Plate: Skeletonized titanium
Bridges: Skeletonized titanium
Going-Train: Gold-plated, circular-grained, chamfered, diamond hubs on both sides Pinions: polished faces and toothing, burnished pivots
Weight: 4.73 grams
Hours and minutes in the centre, small seconds at 6 o’clock
Ultra-light material mix consisting of titanium, DLC & ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon, Satin-finish black DLC titanium horns, Middle piece, bezel, back & crown made of matt ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon
Back: ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon back with screws & inset pane of mineral crystal
Dimensions: Diameter= 40 mm; Height= 9.7 mm
Water-proofness : 3 bar
Crown: ITR²®Kevlar®/Carbon with inlaid Montblanc emblem
Weight: 14.88 grams
Squeletonized titanium mainplate used as a dial with engraved Arabic numeral and minuterie track black dots framed in grey indicating the five-minute marks, engraved stars referring to the five most important championships of the Badminton’s Grand Slam & the two rounds of the Badminton’s Grand Slam won by Lin Dan, black anodized aluminium skeletonized lance-shaped hour-hand and minute-hand, anthracite anodized aluminium small second counter with black anodized aluminium hand
Black nylon with calf leather
Certified by the Montblanc Laboratory Test 500
Swiss watch brand DAVOSA presents the first dedicated diving watch for free divers in association with Free-diving champion Nik Linder. N...
After the best part of six months of procedures and thorough investigations, Louis Moinet became the official holder of the title of “World’...
Zenith – New Blue Dial Versions of the El Primero Chronomaster, the El Primero 36’000 VpH, the Elite Chronograph Classic and the Elite 6150Five iconic models from Zenith’s 2016 El Primero and Elite collections appear attired in blue, clearly intended for aesthetes with a penchan...
Swiss watch manufacture Hublot has just officially released the special edition Classic Fusion "Vendôme Collection" at its boutiqu...
Diving watch specialist Deep Blue celebrates its 10th anniversary in style by presenting Daynight Recon Tritium T-100 special edition watch....
The story behind a Vacheron Constantin timepiece with the Apollo 14 insignia on the dial now unfurls, thanks to the research conducted by wo...
Based in France, MATWATCHES is a leading manufacturer of military watches. This watchmaker, based right in the heart of Paris near Place de ...
As the part of Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous collection 2017, which is to be unveiled at SIHH 2017, the Rendez-Vous Sonatina Large model co...
For the upcoming festive season, Japanese watchmaking giant Seiko presents an exclusive Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT, in a Limited Edition ...
Jaeger-LeCoultre Rendez-Vous collection 2017 offers new versions of Rendez-Vous Night & Day timepiece. Available in three sizes and in a...
- Nautica NMX 1600
- HYT H2 Alinghi Limited Edition
- ArtyA Son of Art “Neo-Renaissance”
- Speake-Marin London Chronograph
- Speake-Marin Skull Face to Face Tourbillon
- Hublot Classic Fusion “The Island” Limited Edition...
- Hublot Classic Fusion Kobe Bryant Herovillain Limi...
- Hublot Showcases Baselworld 2016 Novelties in Oman...
- Audemars Piguet Opens Its New Flagship Boutique on...
- Revolo – The Freedom to Design Your Own Luxury Wat...
- Deep Blue Daynight Rescue T-100 Automatic Tritium ...
- Ferro Distinct 2
- A Heuer Carrera watch once owned by Swedish Formul...
- TAG Heuer Formula 1 Red Bull Racing Team Special E...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Grande Tradition À Répétit...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Grand Tourbillon Enamel
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Grande Tradition À Quantiè...
- JaegerLeCoultre Rendez-Vous Moon High Jewellery
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Rendez-Vous Tourbillon Enamel
- Sablier Grand Cru
- Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time
- BOLDR Journey
- Pheidippides Watches - The Porthole
- Montblanc TimeWalker Pythagore Ultra-Light Concept...
- Oris Williams Carbon Fibre Dial Chronograph
- Rado launches new Centrix Open Heart with brand am...
- Rado Coupole Classic Mini collection
- Montblanc Star Roman Carpe Diem Special Editions -...
- TAG Heuer Connected 18K rose gold
- Arnold & Son Métiers d’Art HM Koi Unique Piece
- DEWITT BLUE EMPIRE
- Dewitt Twenty - 8 - Eight Skeleton Tourbillon High...
- Dewitt Lady Pressy
- Arnold & Son TES Blue Tourbillon
- DEWITT ALMA, New Edition
- Ulysse Nardin 170th Anniversary Limited Edition Cl...
- Audemars Piguet Unveils Temporary Boutique in New ...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Yacht Club Chronograp...
- Breitling Chronoliner Limited Series
- Chopard Grand Prix de Monaco Historique 2016 Race ...
- Concord Impresario Lady in Black MOP Dial
- Seiko watch designer, Nobuhiro Kosugi honoured by ...
- Mido Ocean Star Captain Caliber 80 (M026.430.11.04...
- Mido Multifort Caliber 80 (M025.407.11.061.00)
- ArtyA Gold Marquetry Tourbillon 1/1
- MB&F LM1 Silberstein Limited Edition
- Defakto Kinetik Inkognito
- Defakto Struktur Duplex
- CITIZEN BL5472-01E Eco Drive Chronograph with Perp...
- Seiko opens first-ever exclusive boutique in UAE
- Eberhard & Co. Champion V Targa Florio Special Edi...
- NIVREL Jubilé III
- Blancpain opens a new “Shop-in-Shop” In the Hankyu...
- Blancpain Opens its Newest Flagship store on Queen...
- URWERK UR-106 Black Pink Lotus
- ArtyA Shining Star Tourbillon Set & ArtyA Sun Tour...
- Alpina Alpiner Heritage Manufacture KM-710
- Ateliers deMonaco Tourbillon Ronde d’Or - Grand Pr...
- Sinn Spezialuhren celebrates topping-out ceremony ...
- Alvieri – Firenze Classic & Firenze lunar
- NIVREL Deep Ocean Red
- Alpina Seastrong Diver 300 Black Chronograph Big D...
- Pegasus Venezia – Italian Luxury Homage Watches
- Fabergé Altruist Collection
- Nautica NCT 19
- Nautica NMS 02
- Nautica NMS 01 DATE
- Vacheron Constantin Launches London Craft Week at ...
- INKWELL - Watch Brand Inspired By Tattoo Art
- Carl F. Bucherer Pathos Swan
- Carl F. Bucherer Patravi Traveltec II Rose Gold
- Manchester Watch Works Iconik 2 Limited Edition
- COVER Co186 Perpetual Limited Edition
- VICENTERRA GMT-1 T1 5555
- Raymond Weil Freelancer Realteam Edition (Ref. 276...
- Bremont AC I 32 Ladies Chronometer (America’s Cup ...
- SJÖÖ SANDSTROM Royal Steel WorldTimer
- Eberhard & Co. Aiglon Collection
- Goldvish Eclipse
- ArtyA RaceRed OZ
- U-BOAT 8051 CLASSICO GMT 45 BE
- Nautica NMX 15 Digital Yachtimer
- World’s Biggest Rado Boutique Opens in Beijing
- DAVOSA Titanium Automatic (New Edition)
- DAVOSA Pontus All Stars Limited Editions
- DAVOSA - Vireo Chronograph and Dual Time
- After a Vibrant Auction Year and Major Acquisition...
- ZINVO Watches - Introduction
- Oris Divers Sixty-Five (New Version - Ref. No. 01 ...
- Carl F. Bucherer Patravi Scubatec White
- Longines Conquest Roland Garros
- ▼ May 2016 (91)
- ► 2015 (1718)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)