Montblanc pays tribute to one of the most important explorers of all time with the High Artistry Homage to Marco Polo Limited Editions, celebrating a life of discoveries that continues to inspire generations of readers and adventure-seekers. Through elaborate design and the finest craftsmanship, the details of the four editions in the series bring to life the personality, achievements, and inspiration of the pioneer who proved that the furthest boundaries of the world could be reached.
Mirroring the extravagance and riches of the imperial Mongolian court, the Homage to Marco Polo “Il Milione” Limited Edition 1 is a dazzling display of gem-setting virtuosity on one of the most elaborate writing instruments every created by Montblanc.
A reference to one of his most important navigation tools, a compass rose is worked into the cap top under the Montblanc emblem, revealing itself thanks to a special mechanism. On the other end of the writing instrument, the skeletonized gold cone is set with a majestic 6,12ct diamond. The Au750 solid champagne gold nib design is a representation of Marco Polo crossing the desert, taken from the most important map of the medieval period: the Catalan Atlas.
According to his writings in Il Milione, Marco Polo crossed Bactria in Afghanistan, home to the world’s oldest known lapis lazuli mine. One of the earliest references of the lapis lazuli in western literature, the exquisite stone made an impression on the explorer and its exotic beauty is the inspiration behind the Homage toMarco Polo “L’azzuro” Limited Edition 3.
With similar design features to the first edition, the cap is set in blue sapphire revealing a barrel underneath with the world map crafted in full pave of diamonds, blue sapphires and rubies. The blue theme extends to the cone of the writing instrument with its blue sapphire.
In a third variation on the Limited Edition with its Coromandel extended cap and precious jewels, the limitation number of the Homage to Marco Polo “Great Khan” Limited Edition 9 refers to the nine gates of Dadu, today’s Beijing, where Marco Polo first met the great Khan when he arrived in China in 1266.
At that time, Dadu was the political and economic centre of the Mongol Empire and one of the biggest cities in the world, and the gates of Dadu symbolized the cultural and economic exchange between the West and the East.
For this version of the limited edition, the map of the world on the barrel combines skilled “Tremblage” hand engraving with gem-setting, with the Au750 solid gold delicately set with rubies. The precious ruby ball inside the skeletonized champagne gold cone represents the globe. Crowning the cap of the edition, the Montblanc emblem is set with a pave of diamonds.
Marco Polo travelled many thousands of miles across Asia, a journey that inspired the Homage to Marco Polo Silk Road LE69. With a limitation number honouring the 69 years of a life filled with outstanding achievements, the shape of the fountain pen evokes one of the bamboo forests that Marco Polo discovered during his passage through southern Tibet.
Contrasting with the Damask steel, the barrel is crafted from precious rosewood, the exquisite material that the ancient Chinese used to create the most fascinating rosewood furniture pieces. The gold bars on the side of the cap represent Marco Polo’s trip as written in his book: 28 stops from Venice to Quanzhou, 10 stops back to Venice. The deep blue Lapis lazuli stone in the cone symbolizes the globe. The special design of a camel in the desert etched into the Au750 champagne gold nib also evokes the Catalan Atlas.
More than seven centuries after the death of the great Marco Polo, the adventures and discoveries captured on the pages of “Il Milione” live on in the delicate details of a Montblanc Limited Edition. The story of a man who bridged the gap between the hemispheres and the continents is celebrated by bringing together the finest craftsmanship and the most precious materials.
Debuted in 2015 with English styled quartz chronograph Tourer II, London based watch brand Boston & Stewill now announces their new 100%...
To celebrate the launch of the Bentley Continental Supersports, Breitling for Bentley has created a limited-edition chronograph with a titan...
At Baselworld 2017, traditional Swiss watch brand Oris will unveil Artelier Calibre 113, the fourth in the company’s series of highly innova...
Anonimo reinforces its presence in Verbier and announces a new partnership with the W Hotel in the Place Blanche. Present this year in the s...
The Vintage Style Calendar is the French watch brand William L. 1985's latest offering and has a brand new canvas blue style textile str...
In response to new legislation on the Swiss Made ordinance for watches, H. Moser & Cie. launched the Swiss Mad Watch on January 12th, 20...
Japanese watchmaker CITIZEN has announced their foray into online retail with the launch of their Online Store (www.citizenshop.me), accessi...
Founded by industrial designer Benoît Mintiens, the award winning luxury watch brand RESSENCE is presenting TYPE 12 "Squared", a c...
As part of its expansion in the Russian and eastern European markets, Hublot – alongside Mercury, its long-standing partner – increases its ...
Due to requests from customers and collectors eager to savour the view of the Galet Classic Tourbillon’s spectacle not only from the movemen...
- U-BOAT CHIMERA 46 Limited Edition in Titanium and ...
- Oris Altimeter Rega Limited Edition
- SINN 212 KSK (Kommando Spezialkräfte) Limited Edit...
- SINN 6200 WG MEISTERBUND I Limited Edition (18-Car...
- Vortic Watch Company - Red Rocks Amphitheatre “Hal...
- British Fashion Watch Brand CIRCULR Launches Kicks...
- Jaquet Droz Supports the Restoration of Historical...
- TAG Heuer Supports China Aerospace Industry 60th A...
- TAG Heuer Connected 18K Rose Gold Version
- HYT Colorblock Collection
- Zenith Special Edition Academy Christophe Colomb T...
- Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Lady Diamond-Set Ro...
- SINN U1 S E
- FreakishWATCH by Sabrina Fossi Design
- Deviate Watches - The Ascent Pro 200m
- Lumbr Troy: Handcrafted Wood Watch with Visible Me...
- Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935
- M149 Watch by Filippo Martini
- Kratos Cerebrum
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture (New ...
- Anonimo Autumn/Winter collection – The Militare Li...
- Squale Squalematic 60 ATM Professional
- Elliot Brown Tyneham Automatic
- Tag Heuer Introduces Carrera Chrono Calibre Heuer-...
- TAG Heuer Opens Bloomingdale’s shop-in-shop Boutiq...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Lady Steel Blue Dial
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Calibre 5 “RING MASTER” – Specia...
- Vescari Heritage Chronograph
- German Design Award 2017 for NOMOS Glashütte’s Min...
- H. Moser & Cie. Joins the Fondation de la Haute Ho...
- Carl F. Bucherer Debuts Manero Peripheral and Mane...
- meshable 003 Automatic
- Swiss Watch Brand Longines Announces a Major Advan...
- DAVOSA Flatline Phase of Moon
- Christophe Claret Marguerite New Model
- A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Time Zone Honey Gold Limi...
- Girard-Perregaux Announces Their Participation in ...
- DELTAt NBS
- PRODUCT GALLERY : CARL F. BUCHERER WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : RADO WATCHES
- moVas R.A.W. II Double Balance
- DELTAt SoRa – The Pilot Watch
- Laco Watches : Brand Info
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Presents a Special Exhibition in ...
- PRODUCT GALLERY: JAEGER-LECOULTRE WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : EBEL WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ULYSSE NARDIN WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : PAUL PICOT WATCHES
- Rado Celebrates the Partnership with Swiss Indoors...
- Grayton Automatic Watches - Introduction
- RAYMOND WEIL Tango 300 Chronograph
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines
- Hublot Big Bang Unico Chronograph Special Edition ...
- Hublot Classic Fusion Aerofusion Chronograph WBC L...
- SAINT HONORE Monceau Lady
- Biatec Majestic Collection
- ArtyA Butterfly Delicacy Tourbillon 1/1
- SAINT HONORE Carrousel Self-winding "Open Dial"
- Rado True N25E121 Limited Edition
- PRODUCT GALLERY : NAUTICA WATCHES
- Biatec Corsair Collection
- URWERK Raging Gold UR-105 Limited Edition
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Micromegas Revolution
- Hublot Big Bang Black Jaguar & White Tiger Foundat...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Tourbillon Hand-Wound...
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens Fourth Boutique in Macau
- Zenith Heritage Cronometro TIPO CP-2 Limited Editi...
- Zenith El Primero Skeleton Tribute to The Rolling ...
- Zenith El Primero Limited Edition for Hodinkee
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens New Boutique at Mall of the...
- MB&F Astrograph Limited Edition
- Frederique Constant Sponsors Power of Women
- Raymond Weil Watches: Brand Info
- PRODUCT GALLERY : MONTBLANC WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ETERNA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Grönefeld Luxury Timepieces
- PRODUCT GALLERY : VULCAIN WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ARMAND NICOLET WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : PIERRE DEROCHE WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Rebellion Timepieces
- PRODUCT GALLERY : OMEGA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : VAN CLEEF & ARPELS WATCHES
- L. Leory Watches: Brand Info
- PRODUCT GALLERY : L.LEROY WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : GLYCINE WATCHES
- Jean Marcel NANO 3900µ Limited Edition
- PRODUCT GALLERY : LUMINOX WATCHES
- Patek Philippe Presents The Art of Watches Grand E...
- Luminox New Carbon SEAL3800 Series
- Hermès Médor Serti Baguette
- Hublot Renews Its Partnership with Depeche Mode
- Defakto Kinetik Modular
- Defakto Dialog
- Breitling Emergency Night Mission
- Ulysse Nardin Executive Skeleton Tourbillon Boutiq...
- The World of Hublot Show at The Dubai Mall Opens i...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos 568 by Marc Newson
- Montblanc High Artistry Homage to Marco Polo Limit...
- MEW HYDROFORCE X1
- ARCHIMEDE Pilot 42 KS Handwound
- ▼ October 2016 (169)
- ► 2015 (1718)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2067)
- ► 2008 (517)