In 2014, Audemars Piguet announced the results of an ambitious architectural contest for the extension of its museum, a project known as the “Maison des Fondateurs”. The winning design, submitted by the Danish architectural firm BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group), takes the form of a spiral emerging from the ground. Its walls are made entirely of curved glass and it is linked to the older Audemars Piguet building which was the original Audemars family home.
Two years of studies and preliminary work were necessary for this extremely complex design. “Our first challenge was to assemble the best partners, as it became apparent very quickly that no similar building had ever been built at this altitude,” says Sébastian Vivas, director of the Audemars Piguet Heritage Museum. Engineers, architects and museum designers searched for innovative solutions, both in terms of scenography and the building's structure and resistance to the climatic conditions.A life-size prototype of part of the spiral was also constructed and set up in the Vallée de Joux.
The project is taking shape, although it will be some time before the 2,800 m2 of the new building emerges from the ground.
The Danish architectural firm BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) is the creator of the project's spiral architecture and was selected for its creativity and sensitivity to the environment, after an invitation for design proposals was issued to several local and international firms of architects.
CCHE was designated as the project’s local architect and general planner. This important player from the Lake Geneva region has skills in town planning and architecture and will work in a cross-disciplinary way to monitor the project and ensure a flow of information between stakeholders, collaboration with the authorities, quality control and the execution of work.
An expert in museum design, Atelier Brückner is the partner selected by Audemars Piguet to manage all the scenography, staging and showcasing of the timepieces, lighting and creation of the site visit. The German firm will bring the whole atmosphere of the new Museum to life.
Introductory route – The future “Maison des Fondateurs” will blend perfectly into the Vallée de Joux. The museum's historic building, which dates back to 1868, will be retained, enhanced and linked to a radically contemporary, half-buried structure.
The basis of the visit will be an introductory route following a spiral path.Visitors will cross several themed spaces where they will discover the origins of watch-making in the Vallée de Joux, the mechanical principles of the timepieces and an exceptional collection of world premier enamel complication watches. A number of exceptional watches will be on display, many of which will illustrate the story of design and including, of course, the iconic Royal Oak.
Exhibition rooms will alternate with watch-making workshops, relaxation spaces, sound and cinema laboratories and contemporary art, making the “Maison des Fondateurs” first and foremost a place for meeting, experiencing and sharing. There will also be reception and meeting spaces and an area devoted to the professional preservation of the archives and the Audemars Piguet Foundation.
BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group
BIG is a group of architects, designers and thinkers based in Copenhagen and New York. The group is a specialist in the fields of architecture, town planning, research and development. Headed by eight partners, Bjarke Ingels, Andreas Klok Pedersen, Finn Nørkjær, David Zahle, Jakob Lange, Thomas Christoffersen and Managing Partners, Sheela Maini Søgaard and Kai-Uwe Bergmann, BIG is an international team of 200 employees working on projects that cover many different industries in more than 20 countries.
CCHE has been an important player in the Lake Geneva region for approximately one hundred years and over its three sites in Lausanne, Nyon and Le Sentier has a pool of expertise in the fields of architecture, interior architecture, design and execution. The firm can call on its multi-disciplinary team that works across the 5 sectors and 3 activity sites and includes 16 additional areas of work. Thanks to the effects of synergy, the firm can deal with projects of all sizes and offer its clients the flexibility and responsiveness of a small company while guaranteeing objectives in the same way as a large organisation. This desire to excel also takes the form of involvement in various international collaborations, in particular with BIG (Denmark) and Kengo Kuma (Japan), for the execution of large-scale projects. Training is at the heart of the company’s priorities and forms an integral part of CCHE values. The company’s 160 employees are continually updating their knowledge of current and future standards and of new technological tools. This allows them to remain at the cutting edge and provide incisive, customised solutions. CCHE has significant environmental and social responsibilities that will have an impact on future generations. It was the company's concern for the development of sustainable and responsible architecture that prompted it to commit to meeting the criteria that earned it EcoEntreprise certification in 2009.
ATELIER BRÜCKNER designs since 1997 high quality narrative architecture, experience based exhibitions and cognitively as well as emotionally challenging projects of scenography. With more than 100 international projects, 200 awards and around 75 employees the scenographers, based in Stuttgart (Germany), are among the leaders at international level. Form follows content is ATELIER BRÜCKNER's design philosophy to create unique and content-driven narrative environments.
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
- U-BOAT CHIMERA 46 Limited Edition in Titanium and ...
- Oris Altimeter Rega Limited Edition
- SINN 212 KSK (Kommando Spezialkräfte) Limited Edit...
- SINN 6200 WG MEISTERBUND I Limited Edition (18-Car...
- Vortic Watch Company - Red Rocks Amphitheatre “Hal...
- British Fashion Watch Brand CIRCULR Launches Kicks...
- Jaquet Droz Supports the Restoration of Historical...
- TAG Heuer Supports China Aerospace Industry 60th A...
- TAG Heuer Connected 18K Rose Gold Version
- HYT Colorblock Collection
- Zenith Special Edition Academy Christophe Colomb T...
- Zenith El Primero Chronomaster Lady Diamond-Set Ro...
- SINN U1 S E
- FreakishWATCH by Sabrina Fossi Design
- Deviate Watches - The Ascent Pro 200m
- Lumbr Troy: Handcrafted Wood Watch with Visible Me...
- Longines Avigation Watch Type A-7 1935
- M149 Watch by Filippo Martini
- Kratos Cerebrum
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture (New ...
- Anonimo Autumn/Winter collection – The Militare Li...
- Squale Squalematic 60 ATM Professional
- Elliot Brown Tyneham Automatic
- Tag Heuer Introduces Carrera Chrono Calibre Heuer-...
- TAG Heuer Opens Bloomingdale’s shop-in-shop Boutiq...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Lady Steel Blue Dial
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Calibre 5 “RING MASTER” – Specia...
- Vescari Heritage Chronograph
- German Design Award 2017 for NOMOS Glashütte’s Min...
- H. Moser & Cie. Joins the Fondation de la Haute Ho...
- Carl F. Bucherer Debuts Manero Peripheral and Mane...
- meshable 003 Automatic
- Swiss Watch Brand Longines Announces a Major Advan...
- DAVOSA Flatline Phase of Moon
- Christophe Claret Marguerite New Model
- A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Time Zone Honey Gold Limi...
- Girard-Perregaux Announces Their Participation in ...
- DELTAt NBS
- PRODUCT GALLERY : CARL F. BUCHERER WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : RADO WATCHES
- moVas R.A.W. II Double Balance
- DELTAt SoRa – The Pilot Watch
- Laco Watches : Brand Info
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Presents a Special Exhibition in ...
- PRODUCT GALLERY: JAEGER-LECOULTRE WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : EBEL WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ULYSSE NARDIN WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : PAUL PICOT WATCHES
- Rado Celebrates the Partnership with Swiss Indoors...
- Grayton Automatic Watches - Introduction
- RAYMOND WEIL Tango 300 Chronograph
- Longines - La Grande Classique de Longines
- Hublot Big Bang Unico Chronograph Special Edition ...
- Hublot Classic Fusion Aerofusion Chronograph WBC L...
- SAINT HONORE Monceau Lady
- Biatec Majestic Collection
- ArtyA Butterfly Delicacy Tourbillon 1/1
- SAINT HONORE Carrousel Self-winding "Open Dial"
- Rado True N25E121 Limited Edition
- PRODUCT GALLERY : NAUTICA WATCHES
- Biatec Corsair Collection
- URWERK Raging Gold UR-105 Limited Edition
- Manufacture Royale 1770 Micromegas Revolution
- Hublot Big Bang Black Jaguar & White Tiger Foundat...
- IWC Schaffhausen Portugieser Tourbillon Hand-Wound...
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens Fourth Boutique in Macau
- Zenith Heritage Cronometro TIPO CP-2 Limited Editi...
- Zenith El Primero Skeleton Tribute to The Rolling ...
- Zenith El Primero Limited Edition for Hodinkee
- IWC Schaffhausen Opens New Boutique at Mall of the...
- MB&F Astrograph Limited Edition
- Frederique Constant Sponsors Power of Women
- Raymond Weil Watches: Brand Info
- PRODUCT GALLERY : MONTBLANC WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ETERNA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Grönefeld Luxury Timepieces
- PRODUCT GALLERY : VULCAIN WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : ARMAND NICOLET WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : PIERRE DEROCHE WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : Rebellion Timepieces
- PRODUCT GALLERY : OMEGA WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : VAN CLEEF & ARPELS WATCHES
- L. Leory Watches: Brand Info
- PRODUCT GALLERY : L.LEROY WATCHES
- PRODUCT GALLERY : GLYCINE WATCHES
- Jean Marcel NANO 3900µ Limited Edition
- PRODUCT GALLERY : LUMINOX WATCHES
- Patek Philippe Presents The Art of Watches Grand E...
- Luminox New Carbon SEAL3800 Series
- Hermès Médor Serti Baguette
- Hublot Renews Its Partnership with Depeche Mode
- Defakto Kinetik Modular
- Defakto Dialog
- Breitling Emergency Night Mission
- Ulysse Nardin Executive Skeleton Tourbillon Boutiq...
- The World of Hublot Show at The Dubai Mall Opens i...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos 568 by Marc Newson
- Montblanc High Artistry Homage to Marco Polo Limit...
- MEW HYDROFORCE X1
- ARCHIMEDE Pilot 42 KS Handwound
- ▼ October 2016 (170)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)