In 2016, BOVET 1822 presented the Récital 18 Shooting Star®, which made headlines for its innovative time display. The many accolades attributed to this timepiece attest to its peerless identity and accomplishments.
The Récital 20 Astérium® seamlessly continues the tradition set by its illustrious predecessor, reprising the characteristic shaped case to present an unprecedented mechanical display that showcases the volumes and decoration of the timepiece.
Time is defined by the position of the stars in the sky. Based on this undeniable fact, the night sky was chosen to play the ‘starring’ role in this new exceptional timepiece. Faithful to the underlying principles governing complication development at BOVET 1822, this sky map was designed to be functional, precise and intuitive all at once. With this in mind, the BOVET 1822 technicians opted to map out the stars and constellations visible from the Earth on a dome of translucent blue sapphire, on which they are laser-engraved before being coated in Super-LumiNova® to create a dazzling true-to life sky. To ensure utmost realism, the highest stars in the sky are depicted at the top of the dome while the lowest stars nearer the horizon appear on the periphery of the display aperture. Yet, this unrivalled exactitude in time display would count for little had Pascal Raffy and his artisans not applied the same rigor to the mechanical precision of the timepiece. To this end, they devised a sidereal calendar.
The night sky and the collection of sidereal indications on the Astérium® are thus governed by an annual calendar calculated on a 365.25-day cycle to reflect the real duration of one full terrestrial orbit. Thanks to this combination of display and horological exactitude, the instantaneous position of the stars in the sky is thus displayed with unrivalled precision.
Returning to the front of the timepiece unveils some new additional indications. The lower left- and right-hand sections of the night sky overlook two double hemispheric indicators, while on the left, an hemispheric precision moon phase lingers above the equation of time indicator.
The duration of the true solar day – which corresponds to the exact interval of time between two passages of the sun at its zenith at an identical given point – varies throughout the year. In fact, the Earth takes exactly and consistently 23 hours and 56 minutes to rotate 360° on its own axis. But depending on the Earth’s position in its orbital ellipse, the sun will appear either earlier or later at the zenith at this identical point relative to the average 24-hour solar day.
In accordance with astral time, the hours pass concentrically across the night sky on a 24-hour dial that is positioned beneath the night sky and visible through the transparent sapphire. To ensure intuitive use and optimal legibility, the hours hand has been designed to execute three functions simultaneously: it indicates the time, points to the north to facilitate map-reading, and carries the elliptical window characteristic of the night sky. Following the curves of the sapphire dome, this triple hand alone symbolizes the Manufacture’s truly diverse range of skills. From its development and its many delicate hand-crafted decorative flourishes to the hi-tech virtuosity that went into its machining, the creation of this hand is a concentration of technical feats all masterfully realized by the BOVET 1822 artisans. Finally, the seconds hand is driven by the patented double face flying tourbillon.
Despite its complexity, setting this timepiece is as quick and easy as for a timepiece with a simple calendar mechanism. The same applies when determining the position of the stars in the sky. To do this, simply point the arrow of the sky map hand northwards. The ellipse opened by this sky map hand outlines the part of the sky that is visible from the wearer’s position at the moment of observation, assuming that the observer is positioned in the center of the elliptical window and enjoys a 360° view.
Whatever the field, the very essence of art lies in an artist’s ability to simplify something that is inherently complex. In this sense, BOVET 1822 watchmakers have demonstrated true artistry in the Astérium®. Once again, by building on their exceptional experience and infusing their work with cutting-edge research, they have driven back the boundaries of perfection.
A single barrel regulates the energy of the timepiece and maintains the oscillations of the balance wheel at 18,000 vph for an autonomy of 10 days. This power reserve remains entirely unaffected by the many indications and the technical intricacy of their displays. The moon phase and power reserve domes, as well as the sapphire night sky dome, are adjusted by patented variable micrometric bearing-blocks composed of ruby runners. This ingenious mechanism is extremely energy-efficient and has already proven its worth in the movement of the Récital 18 Shooting Star®.
The patented double face tourbillon which regulates the Récital 20 Astérium® is equipped with a variable inertia balance wheel. The six collets distributed along the surface of the felly help refine dynamic adjustment for even better chronometry. And once completed and adjusted, each balance wheel is carefully selected and paired with the balance-spring with which it will form the best possible pairing. Through their perfectly mastered manufacture of traditional balance wheel and balance-springs, BOVET 1822 watchmakers continue to constantly redefine the boundaries of isochronism and chronometry. The three arches on the bridge of the titanium carriage – all rounded-off and polished by hand – expertly protect the heart of the timepiece. Their design is suggestive of a Gothic vault, of a cathedral without a roof open to the universal magic of stellar mechanics.
The layout of this side of the movement follows the inclination of the bezel that characterizes this case design. The tourbillon carriage wheel and the seconds hour-marker screwed onto it are on the same level as the plate. Two levels of bridges then fan out from the center of the tourbillon carriage. The upper bridges are screwed to the bottom level by hand-polished pillars, which ensure harmonious volumes and draw the gaze. Finally, the three domes overlook the entire movement, offering a panoramic view of time and space that is both poetic and original.
The decor of the movement matches its ingenuity and innovative structure. For maximum elegance, the Manufacture’s engravers have chosen highly subtle and delicate chiseling to decorate the surface of the bridges and plate. The surface demonstrates all the finesse of graining and all the brilliance of a ‘bris de verre’ motif. This contrasts perfectly with the framework of polished angles tracing the contours of the bridges, and guarantees a clear reading of both the night sky and the sapphire rear dial, all the while affording the admiring observer a clear view of the movement’s architecture and decoration.
Only sixty Astérium® movements will be manufactured across all versions, including requests for unique pieces. Collectors can choose from red gold, white gold or platinum cases, which can be customized by the Manufacture’s artisans in a tradition that has distinguished BOVET 1822 for 195 years.
Model: Récital 20 Astérium®
10-Day Flying Tourbillon Night Sky Annual Calendar with Astronomical Functions
Thickness (With Glasses): 18.3mm
Thickness (Without Glasses): 7.5-14.3mm
Gold Weight: 73.49gr (red gold) / 76.90gr white gold)
Case Material: 18K red or white gold or platinum 950/1000
Water Resistance: 30m
Display mechanism with radial guidance
Double face tourbillon
Frequency: 18’000 vph
Power reserve: 10 days
Hours (24h), retrograde minutes, seconds on tourbillon, annual calendar, night sky, equation of time, precision moon phase indicator, season, solstice and equinox indicator, astrological zodiac indicator and power reserve indicator
Limited Edition of 60 movements
Full skin alligator
Buckle: 18K red or white gold ardillon
5 years Warranty
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
TAG Heuer expands its AQUARACER watch series with two Commando styled watches. Available in two versions - Arctic and Jungle - the Aquarace...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
To be unveiled at Baselworld 2017, the new Sport Classic collection pays tribute to EBEL’s formidable craftsmanship during the 1970s and 198...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
Swiss mechanical clock manufacture L'Epée 1839 unveils Requiem: a table clock with an 8-day movement designed in partnership with Kostas...
- The Abingdon Co. Celebrates its 10th Anniversary
- Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Tourbillon Mother-of-Pe...
- Christopher Ward - C3 Malvern Chronograph MK III &...
- Vincent Calabrese Watches: Brand Info
- Perrelet Turbine Rooster Limited Edition
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire – New Versions
- Hublot Presents "Connected Frame" Concept in Partn...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic (Ref. IW356601...
- Girard-Perregaux Neo-Bridges
- Atokalpa Celebrates its 15th Anniversary with the ...
- Mo Eden MK1
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Chronograph Edition “Lau...
- Oris New Aquis Date
- Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Tourbillon
- PRODUCT GALLERY : H. MOSER & CIE. WATCHES
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Perpetual Moon
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Concept Guilloché Limite...
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Smoky Sapphire
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Small Seconds Purity
- H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch Minute Retrograde ...
- Promoted Kickstarter Campaigns
- RJ-Romain Jerome Moon Orbiter GMT
- Hawthorn Watch Co. - Hemingway and Hemingway Class...
- Singapore Based Watch Brand PLAIN SUPPLIES Launche...
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA – New Models
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Astorite - Valenti...
- MeisterSinger Neo Plus
- Franck Muller Gravity™ Skeleton
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ Skeleton Sapphire
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ 7 Days Power Reserve Skele...
- Franck Muller CINTREE CURVEX™ 25th Anniversary
- HAUTLENCE VORTEX BRONZE
- Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Planetarium
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar Chron...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Tourbillon Rétrograde Ch...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic Moon Phase 36
- A. Lange & Söhne Tourbograph Perpetual “Pour le Mé...
- A. Lange & Söhne ZEITWERK DECIMAL STRIKE
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 31
- A. Lange & Söhne Little Lange 1 Moon Phase
- Longines Conquest Classic FIS Alpine World Ski Cha...
- Edox Delfin The Original Chronograph
- Breguet Breguet Tradition Dame 7038
- Officine Panerai Presents the Official Watches Of ...
- Panerai LAB-ID™ Luminor 1950 Carbotech™ 3 Days – 4...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Oracle Team USA 3 Days Chrono...
- GVCHIANI GENÈVE BIG SQUARE Collection
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 America’s Cup 3 Days A...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Regatta Oracle Team USA 3 Day...
- Panerai Luminor Marina Oracle Team USA 8 Days Acci...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Pure High Art Limited Editio...
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Tourbillon Grand Feu
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Annual Calendar Chronometer w...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk 46 Auto Camo Editions
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Flawless
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Octopus
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 Softbank Team Japan 3 ...
- Zenith El Primero 36’000 VPH
- Zenith Heritage 146
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 BMG-TECH™ 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Space Invaders ™ Pop Limited Edit...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Artistica Mystérieuse
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic Collection - Geophysic ...
- URWERK UR-106 Flower Power
- URWERK UR-T8
- De Bethune DB25L Milky Way
- TAG Heuer Announces More Than 700 Tourbillon Movem...
- TAG Heuer New Aquaracer Lady 300 Metres 35mm
- TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300M, 43mm, Stainless Steel Ca...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date Chronograph ...
- TAG Heuer CARRERA HEUER-01 Full Black Matt Ceramic...
- Longines Flagship Heritage – 60th Anniversary 1957...
- Hublot Spirit of Big Bang All Black
- Hublot Big Bang One Click Cuddly Cuff Collection
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo
- Hublot Classic Fusion Bracelet Blue
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph, New Models
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Tourbillon Extra-Thin Op...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra-Thin Yellow Gold
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar - Bla...
- Audemars Piguet Diamond Outrage
- Zahnd & Kormann ZK No. 1 – Swiss Made Automatic Ch...
- Paul Picot Firshire Ronde Small Seconds
- Ulysse Nardin Regatta
- Ulysse Nardin InnoVision 2
- Ulysse Nardin Jade “Grand Feu” and Jade “Cloisonné...
- Ulysse Nardin North Sea Minute Repeater
- DeWitt Lady Pressy Honey
- DeWitt Academia Stainless Steel Grande Date
- DeWitt Sparkling Out of Time
- DeWitt Glorious Knight HMS
- Boston & Stewill Tourer, Swiss Made Automatic Watc...
- ▼ January 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (1573)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)