Celebrating the 195th anniversary this year, BOVET enhances its Fleurier Grandes Complications collection by presenting Virtuoso VIII, a traditional artisanal horology marvel featuring a complex Flying Tourbillon movement having a staggering 10 days power reserve and an elegant big date display.
An ultimate expression of the artisanal watchmaking tradition that has been upheld by BOVET since 1822, the Virtuoso VIII is the first timepiece in the Fleurier Collection to reprise an inclined crystal aperture along the 12 o’clock to 6 o’clock axis, like the innovative case of the Récital 18 Shooting Star® presented in 2016 and that of this year’s Récital 20 Astérium®. This truly innovative concept creates new perspectives for caliber architecture, as well for the decoration and display of functions. The movement of this new ambassador for the collection also features a number of significant innovations, as well as three of the patents pioneered by the Braveheart® Tourbillon, which was initially presented in 2015.
The flying tourbillon’s groundbreaking structure has also proved its worth both in terms of reliability and chronometric performance. But for the Virtuoso VIII, Pascal Raffy decided to opt for an architecture typical of 19th-century watches, with a full plate and bridges hollowed out into a series of scrolls.
This patented double face flying tourbillon has already demonstrated its full chronometric potential. Its fixed point in the center of its axis together with the distribution either side of the escapement and balance-spring give it a balance that drastically reduces the lever-arm effect and friction at the pivot point. To further improve the performance of this tourbillon, a new regulating organ has been developed and produced by the BOVET 1822 artisans. The pace of the new caliber is set by a variable inertia balance wheel. Six collets driven into the felly of the balance wheel allow for dynamic setting of the utmost precision. The balance-spring has been specifically calculated for this caliber and balance wheel by the outstanding craftsmen at BOVET 1822.
It is fixed to the tourbillon bridge by a double-ended mobile balance-spring stud support in accordance with the finest chronometric practices. The hand-finished wheels, traditionally burnished pivots and teeth cut using traditional artisanal methods also improve the chronometric performance of this caliber.
The two sides of the plate are also chiseled with an extremely delicate pattern that demanded the utmost skill from the Manufacture’s engravers to achieve a harmonious contrast with the sumptuous surface of the bridges, which are decorated with the emblematic Fleurisanne engraving. The chamfered and polished edges of the bridges artistically frame the Fleurisanne adornments and clearly define the two distinct decorations. The bridge of the tourbillon carriage, meanwhile, is in titanium to lighten the latter and eliminate any possible magnetic charge. These two elegant arms, which spread like wings above the flying tourbillon, were also rounded-off and polished in line with artisanal fine watchmaking traditions.
For their part, the dial-makers have showcased the decoration of the movement to perfection by creating two harmoniously arranged dials. The first indicates the power reserve while the second displays the hours, the minutes, and the magnificent big date aperture. In order to conceal only those mechanisms that would otherwise interfere with the timepiece’s legibility, the surface area of the dials has been reduced to a minimum while sumptuous, rounded-off and hand-polished attachments straddle the bridges before anchoring themselves solidly to the movement. Whether the dials feature lavish ivory or black lacquer or precious blue aventurine, the Arabic numerals and their graduations, as well as the shape of their hands, have been directly inspired by the historic pocket watches from the BOVET 1822 collections.
The seconds display was the subject of similar attentions. Designed with exceptional readability in mind, it makes use of an hour-marker screwed to the carriage wheel. The arrow of the hour-marker overlooks the surface of the ring dial that displays the sixty seconds. The precise readability created by this display is also breathtaking. To achieve this, the seconds dial has to be fixed to the plate during the first assembly operations, which renders the watchmakers’ task even more delicate and makes it impossible to anticipate the assembly of movements before knowing which dials have been chosen by the collector.
The autonomy surpassing ten days delivered by the single barrel would require meticulous winding had it not been coupled with a spherical differential. The application of this ingenious mechanism and of the tri-dimensional toothing with multiple gearing of one of its pinions, are the subject of two patents. Using this differential halves the number of turns of the crown required to completely wind the spring without increasing either the friction or the force to which the gear is subjected.
A true testament to 195 years of watchmaking history at BOVET, the Virtuoso VIII expresses the quintessence of its values while elevating them to new heights with a sense of harmony that is constantly being perfected. Only 80 movements will be manufactured and fitted in a red gold, white gold or platinum case that can be customized according to the collector’s wishes by the BOVET 1822 artisans.
10-Day Flying Tourbillon Big Date
Thickness (With Glasses): 13.45mm
Thickness (Without Glasses): 7.00-9.40mm
Gold Weight: 57.60gr (red gold) / 60.30gr (white gold)
Case Material: 18K red or white gold or platinum 950/1000
Water Resistance: 30m
Double face tourbillon
Tridimensional toothing with multiple gearing
Frequency: 18’000 vph
Power reserve: 10 days
Black lacquered, ivory lacquered or aventurine
Hours, minutes, seconds on tourbillon, big date, power reserve indicator
Full skin alligator
Buckle 18K red or white gold ardillon
Limited Edition of 80 movements
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
TAG Heuer expands its AQUARACER watch series with two Commando styled watches. Available in two versions - Arctic and Jungle - the Aquarace...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
To be unveiled at Baselworld 2017, the new Sport Classic collection pays tribute to EBEL’s formidable craftsmanship during the 1970s and 198...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
Swiss mechanical clock manufacture L'Epée 1839 unveils Requiem: a table clock with an 8-day movement designed in partnership with Kostas...
- The Abingdon Co. Celebrates its 10th Anniversary
- Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Tourbillon Mother-of-Pe...
- Christopher Ward - C3 Malvern Chronograph MK III &...
- Vincent Calabrese Watches: Brand Info
- Perrelet Turbine Rooster Limited Edition
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire – New Versions
- Hublot Presents "Connected Frame" Concept in Partn...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic (Ref. IW356601...
- Girard-Perregaux Neo-Bridges
- Atokalpa Celebrates its 15th Anniversary with the ...
- Mo Eden MK1
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Chronograph Edition “Lau...
- Oris New Aquis Date
- Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Tourbillon
- PRODUCT GALLERY : H. MOSER & CIE. WATCHES
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Perpetual Moon
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Concept Guilloché Limite...
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Smoky Sapphire
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Small Seconds Purity
- H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch Minute Retrograde ...
- Promoted Kickstarter Campaigns
- RJ-Romain Jerome Moon Orbiter GMT
- Hawthorn Watch Co. - Hemingway and Hemingway Class...
- Singapore Based Watch Brand PLAIN SUPPLIES Launche...
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA – New Models
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Astorite - Valenti...
- MeisterSinger Neo Plus
- Franck Muller Gravity™ Skeleton
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ Skeleton Sapphire
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ 7 Days Power Reserve Skele...
- Franck Muller CINTREE CURVEX™ 25th Anniversary
- HAUTLENCE VORTEX BRONZE
- Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Planetarium
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar Chron...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Tourbillon Rétrograde Ch...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic Moon Phase 36
- A. Lange & Söhne Tourbograph Perpetual “Pour le Mé...
- A. Lange & Söhne ZEITWERK DECIMAL STRIKE
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 31
- A. Lange & Söhne Little Lange 1 Moon Phase
- Longines Conquest Classic FIS Alpine World Ski Cha...
- Edox Delfin The Original Chronograph
- Breguet Breguet Tradition Dame 7038
- Officine Panerai Presents the Official Watches Of ...
- Panerai LAB-ID™ Luminor 1950 Carbotech™ 3 Days – 4...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Oracle Team USA 3 Days Chrono...
- GVCHIANI GENÈVE BIG SQUARE Collection
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 America’s Cup 3 Days A...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Regatta Oracle Team USA 3 Day...
- Panerai Luminor Marina Oracle Team USA 8 Days Acci...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Pure High Art Limited Editio...
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Tourbillon Grand Feu
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Annual Calendar Chronometer w...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk 46 Auto Camo Editions
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Flawless
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Octopus
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 Softbank Team Japan 3 ...
- Zenith El Primero 36’000 VPH
- Zenith Heritage 146
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 BMG-TECH™ 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Space Invaders ™ Pop Limited Edit...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Artistica Mystérieuse
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic Collection - Geophysic ...
- URWERK UR-106 Flower Power
- URWERK UR-T8
- De Bethune DB25L Milky Way
- TAG Heuer Announces More Than 700 Tourbillon Movem...
- TAG Heuer New Aquaracer Lady 300 Metres 35mm
- TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300M, 43mm, Stainless Steel Ca...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date Chronograph ...
- TAG Heuer CARRERA HEUER-01 Full Black Matt Ceramic...
- Longines Flagship Heritage – 60th Anniversary 1957...
- Hublot Spirit of Big Bang All Black
- Hublot Big Bang One Click Cuddly Cuff Collection
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo
- Hublot Classic Fusion Bracelet Blue
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph, New Models
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Tourbillon Extra-Thin Op...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra-Thin Yellow Gold
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar - Bla...
- Audemars Piguet Diamond Outrage
- Zahnd & Kormann ZK No. 1 – Swiss Made Automatic Ch...
- Paul Picot Firshire Ronde Small Seconds
- Ulysse Nardin Regatta
- Ulysse Nardin InnoVision 2
- Ulysse Nardin Jade “Grand Feu” and Jade “Cloisonné...
- Ulysse Nardin North Sea Minute Repeater
- DeWitt Lady Pressy Honey
- DeWitt Academia Stainless Steel Grande Date
- DeWitt Sparkling Out of Time
- DeWitt Glorious Knight HMS
- Boston & Stewill Tourer, Swiss Made Automatic Watc...
- ▼ January 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (1573)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)