Luxury watchmaking division of Montblanc enriches its Heritage Chronométrie Collection with a new ExoTourbillon Rattrapante limited edition of eight timepieces, combining the Maison’s patented ExoTourbillon with a monopusher split-second chronograph.
Since 1858, the legendary “Minerva” manufacture, now known as the Montblanc Manufacture in Villeret, has been making ground-breaking calibres with regards to craftsmanship and performance. During the 1930s, the workshop’s fascination with recording elapsed time led to the production of split-second stopwatches, aka “rattrapante” chronographs that can measure intermediate times without interrupting the ongoing measurement of a longer elapsing interval.
Unveiled at the SIHH haute horlogerie exhibition in 2017, the new Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition timepiece combines a monopusher split-second chronograph with the Maison’s renowned ExoTourbillon. From the movement to the complications, the precision to the design, everything comes together to celebrate the heritage of Swiss fine watchmaking. The Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 captures all the magic of watchmaking past, while never stopping to push the boundaries of innovation and performance with its handcrafted inhouse movement.
Housed in a slim polished gold case with curved horns and a stepped bezel, the Pythagore epitomized classic Swiss fine watchmaking. Today this historic piece provides the basis for the design of the new Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 with fine watchmaking details and finishings that respect the Pythagore design, while offering a new and contemporary rendition of a horological classic.
The solid gold dial of the Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 features all the classic design codes associated with fine watchmaking, starting with a grey grené lower dial that enhances the different counters and subdials, and a vertical satinated finishing on the upper part of the dial that attracts the eye to the majestic ExoTourbillon.
The ExoTourbillon itself is highlighted by a double infinity tourbillon bridge, which takes one week to be hand-bevelled and polished by Montblanc’s artisans. The three-dimensional dial is further enhanced by raised counters and subdials that include different finishings—the small seconds subdial and the 30-minute counter both feature an azuré motif in the centre and an opaline decoration on the external ring, while the second time zone and day/night subdials have been embellished with a sunray pattern. Completing this intricate dial are faceted sword-shaped hands for the hours, minutes, seconds, second time zone and chronograph minutes, and baton shaped hands for the day/night and chronograph seconds hands as well as applied red gold numerals and indexes. A final touch to this intricate dial is a refined grey satinated flange that is calibrated with a fifth-of-a second scale for the chronograph and that simultaneously shows the continually running minutes for utmost legibility.
Montblanc's mastery of honouring traditional watchmaking is demonstrated perfectly in this new Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 combining two of the most significant chronometric complications—the Maison’s patented ExoTourbillon and a monopusher split-second chronograph.
The ExoTourbillon complication, first introduced in 2010, was developed entirely in-house by the master watchmakers at the Montblanc Manufacture in Villeret. “Exo” is derived from the Greek for external or outside and refers to the screwed balance wheel, which is positioned outside of the tourbillon’s rotating cage. This innovated patented mechanical architecture allows the cage to be smaller in size and free of the weight of the balance wheel, saving 30 per cent more energy than a conventional tourbillon. The fact that the balance is positioned outside of the rotating cage also means that it isn’t affected by the inertia of the cage, therefore improving precision.
Another exclusive feature of the ExoTourbillon is the slower speed of its rotations. Conventional tourbillons typically complete one rotation per minute but the ExoTourbillon rotates once every four minutes. The slower rotational speed requires less energy from the barrel, yet produces the same compensating effect.
Thanks to the ExoTourbillon’s patented energy-saving construction, the tourbillon can be paired with a cleverly designed split-second chronograph function. Despite its mechanical complexity, this split-second function can work with the same barrel and the same power reserve as those of the basic chronograph movement—and can do so with greater precision than would be possible in a chronograph without the ExoTourbillon construction.
Split-second chronographs rank among the world’s grandes complications and are the pinnacle of the chronograph complication. Extraordinary mechanical complexity and nearly 70% more components than a conventional chronograph mechanism enable them to perform the useful function of momentarily halting the split-second hand to indicate intervals without interrupting the measurement of a longer elapsing interval by the chronograph’s elapsed seconds hand.
The Montblanc rattrapante complication works with two column wheels and a classic double clamp, which can be observed in motion through the transparent caseback. Once the chronograph complication is activated through the pusher integrated in the crown, both column wheels and the hand-bevelled levers, which are used to transfer the different commands, come into play. Thin steel springs that have been delicately curved then push the rattrapante clamps onto the split-second wheel, thus enabling the reading of the first measured interval when the wearer pushes the pusher located at the two o’clock position. Another push of the same pusher causes the clamps to spread apart so that the split-seconds hand catches up the chronograph’s elapsed seconds and keeps running with it. To stop and reset both chronograph and split-second hands, the wearer pushes again on the pusher integrated in the crown. Master watchmakers devote extreme care to the delicate components, which are extremely difficult to fabricate, finish and assemble. They are finely adjusted by only those with the highest level of expertise and experience.
Particular attention has been paid to each and every detail in terms of precision, but also with regards to the aesthetic beauty of each component. The hairsprings are crafted entirely by Montblanc’s master watchmakers who measure the length of each spring by hand for utmost accuracy. The end of each hairspring is given an upward Phillips curvature and oscillates at the traditional pace of 18,000 semi-oscillations per hour (or 2.5 Hertz), thus enabling the chronograph to measure elapsed intervals to the nearest fifth of a second. A close look at the 2 o’clock position reveals the chronograph’s split-second column-wheel. In the centre of the calibre, aficionados will notice the artistically shaped rattrapante-lever, the split-second clamps’ mobile as well as their springs.
The Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 comes in a 47 mm roundish case crafted in 18-karat red gold with a sapphire crystal caseback allowing a direct view on the beautifully hand finished calibre. Curved horns with characteristic facets, a stepped concave bezel, and a crown embedded with the Montblanc emblem, also contribute to the refinement of the timepiece.
In order to ensure the highest performance and quality of its timepieces, Montblanc tests the whole Heritage Chronométrie Collection in its Montblanc Laboratory for over 500 hours. Called the Montblanc Laboratory Test 500, this quality control examination has been completely developed in-house and evaluates timepieces in numerous simulated real-life situations. Where many tests only control the movement, Montblanc tests the final watch, making this certification something truly unique in fine watchmaking.
The Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante Limited Edition 8 is also equipped with a high-quality alligator leather strap crafted by the Montblanc Pelletteria, the Maison's own leather manufacture in Florence Italy, enabling Montblanc to offer the utmost quality.
Model: Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie ExoTourbillon Rattrapante
Montblanc Manufacture Calibre MB M16.62
Manually wound monopusher split-second chronograph
Chronograph Monopusher with column-wheel and horizontal coupling
Diameter = 38.4 mm; height = 12.27 mm
Number of components: 432
Number of rubies: 36
Power reserve: Approx. 50 hours
Balance: Screw balance, diameter = 14.5 mm; moment of inertia = 59 mgcm2
Frequency: 18,000 A/h (2.5 Hz)
Hairspring: With Phillips terminal curve
Plate Rhodium-plated German silver with circular graining on both sides
Bridges Rhodium-plated German silver with “Côtes de Genève”
Going-train Gold-plated, faceted arms, diamond polished surfaces
Local time: hours and minutes from the center
Home time: hour hand at “6 o’clock”
Small seconds at “9 o’clock”
Day/night indication between “4 and 5 o’clock”
Chronograph’s elapsed-seconds hand and split-second hand from the center
Counter for 30 elapsed minutes at “3 o’clock”
18K red gold case
Crystal: Scratch-resistant, cambered sapphire and antireflective crystal
Back: Screwed 18K red gold back case with inset pane of sapphire crystal
Dimensions: Diameter = 47 mm; height = 18.58 mm
Watertightness: 3 bar
Crown: 18K red gold with Montblanc emblem in raised relief
Push-piece: Chronograph monopusher integrated in the crown and split-second pusher at “2 o’clock”
18K gold with grey grené decoration on the lower part of the dial and vertical satinated finishing on the upper part
Small seconds subdial and 30-minute counter with an azuré motif in the centre and an opaline decoration on the external ring, second time zone and day/night subdials with a sunray pattern
18K red gold Arabic numerals, red gold-plated and steel blued sword-shaped hands, red gold-plated baton chronograph second hand and steel blued baton split-second hand
Black alligator-skin strap with 18K red gold pin buckle
Limited Edition of 8 pieces
Certified by the Montblanc Performance Test 500
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
TAG Heuer expands its AQUARACER watch series with two Commando styled watches. Available in two versions - Arctic and Jungle - the Aquarace...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
To be unveiled at Baselworld 2017, the new Sport Classic collection pays tribute to EBEL’s formidable craftsmanship during the 1970s and 198...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
With the Baroncelli Prisma, Swiss watch brand Mido introduces a timepiece that gleams with iridescent femininity and blends tradition with m...
Swiss mechanical clock manufacture L'Epée 1839 unveils Requiem: a table clock with an 8-day movement designed in partnership with Kostas...
- The Abingdon Co. Celebrates its 10th Anniversary
- Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Tourbillon Mother-of-Pe...
- Christopher Ward - C3 Malvern Chronograph MK III &...
- Vincent Calabrese Watches: Brand Info
- Perrelet Turbine Rooster Limited Edition
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire – New Versions
- Hublot Presents "Connected Frame" Concept in Partn...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic (Ref. IW356601...
- Girard-Perregaux Neo-Bridges
- Atokalpa Celebrates its 15th Anniversary with the ...
- Mo Eden MK1
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Chronograph Edition “Lau...
- Oris New Aquis Date
- Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Tourbillon
- PRODUCT GALLERY : H. MOSER & CIE. WATCHES
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Perpetual Moon
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Concept Guilloché Limite...
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Smoky Sapphire
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Small Seconds Purity
- H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch Minute Retrograde ...
- Promoted Kickstarter Campaigns
- RJ-Romain Jerome Moon Orbiter GMT
- Hawthorn Watch Co. - Hemingway and Hemingway Class...
- Singapore Based Watch Brand PLAIN SUPPLIES Launche...
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA – New Models
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Astorite - Valenti...
- MeisterSinger Neo Plus
- Franck Muller Gravity™ Skeleton
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ Skeleton Sapphire
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ 7 Days Power Reserve Skele...
- Franck Muller CINTREE CURVEX™ 25th Anniversary
- HAUTLENCE VORTEX BRONZE
- Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Planetarium
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar Chron...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Tourbillon Rétrograde Ch...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic Moon Phase 36
- A. Lange & Söhne Tourbograph Perpetual “Pour le Mé...
- A. Lange & Söhne ZEITWERK DECIMAL STRIKE
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 31
- A. Lange & Söhne Little Lange 1 Moon Phase
- Longines Conquest Classic FIS Alpine World Ski Cha...
- Edox Delfin The Original Chronograph
- Breguet Breguet Tradition Dame 7038
- Officine Panerai Presents the Official Watches Of ...
- Panerai LAB-ID™ Luminor 1950 Carbotech™ 3 Days – 4...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Oracle Team USA 3 Days Chrono...
- GVCHIANI GENÈVE BIG SQUARE Collection
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 America’s Cup 3 Days A...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Regatta Oracle Team USA 3 Day...
- Panerai Luminor Marina Oracle Team USA 8 Days Acci...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Pure High Art Limited Editio...
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Tourbillon Grand Feu
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Annual Calendar Chronometer w...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk 46 Auto Camo Editions
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Flawless
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Octopus
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 Softbank Team Japan 3 ...
- Zenith El Primero 36’000 VPH
- Zenith Heritage 146
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 BMG-TECH™ 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Space Invaders ™ Pop Limited Edit...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Artistica Mystérieuse
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic Collection - Geophysic ...
- URWERK UR-106 Flower Power
- URWERK UR-T8
- De Bethune DB25L Milky Way
- TAG Heuer Announces More Than 700 Tourbillon Movem...
- TAG Heuer New Aquaracer Lady 300 Metres 35mm
- TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300M, 43mm, Stainless Steel Ca...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date Chronograph ...
- TAG Heuer CARRERA HEUER-01 Full Black Matt Ceramic...
- Longines Flagship Heritage – 60th Anniversary 1957...
- Hublot Spirit of Big Bang All Black
- Hublot Big Bang One Click Cuddly Cuff Collection
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo
- Hublot Classic Fusion Bracelet Blue
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph, New Models
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Tourbillon Extra-Thin Op...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra-Thin Yellow Gold
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar - Bla...
- Audemars Piguet Diamond Outrage
- Zahnd & Kormann ZK No. 1 – Swiss Made Automatic Ch...
- Paul Picot Firshire Ronde Small Seconds
- Ulysse Nardin Regatta
- Ulysse Nardin InnoVision 2
- Ulysse Nardin Jade “Grand Feu” and Jade “Cloisonné...
- Ulysse Nardin North Sea Minute Repeater
- DeWitt Lady Pressy Honey
- DeWitt Academia Stainless Steel Grande Date
- DeWitt Sparkling Out of Time
- DeWitt Glorious Knight HMS
- Boston & Stewill Tourer, Swiss Made Automatic Watc...
- ▼ January 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (1573)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)