Richard Mille presents the world’s lightest split-seconds tourbillon chronograph: the RM 50-03 McLAREN F1. This innovative technical masterpiece is a result of the luxury watch brand’s collaboration with the world renowned Formula 1 racing car manufacturer McLaren-Honda.
Housing a highly complex tourbillon chronograph movement, the RM 50-03 McLaren F1 weighs less than 40 grams – including the new strap – which makes it the lightest mechanical chronograph ever made. This landmark has been achieved through the use of cutting-edge technical materials. The design not only incorporates Titanium and Carbon TPT™, but also introduces an entirely new material into the world of watchmaking: Graph TPT™, more commonly known as graphene.
The carbon’s physical properties were significantly enhanced by the introduction of graphene, a revolutionary nano-material which is six times lighter than steel, and 200 times stronger. McLaren Technology Group and McLaren-Honda, which are currently working on integrating graphene into their Grand Prix cars, made it possible for the watchmaker to consider this material as a means to significantly low the density of their carbon composite while increasing its resistance. Convinced of the incredible advantages conferred by graphene, engineers at Richard Mille worked with those at North Thin Ply Technology to envision practical applications of the new material, and studied how to incorporate it into Carbon TPT™.
Noted for the beautiful, undulating striations of its surface, Carbon TPT™ is comprised of parallel filaments – 600 layers, in fact, whose maximum thickness is 30 microns. These are impregnated with a super-charged resin containing graphene, and are then compiled by a CNC machine that shifts the orientation of the fibres by 45° between layers. The composite is then solidified by heating it to 120°C, at 6 Bar of pressure. Numerous control and validation tests conducted by McLaren Applied Technologies have made it possible to develop the solutions that resulted in the production of Graph TPT™, a material employed exclusively by Richard Mille in the domain of watchmaking.
At the Richard Mille manufacturing facility, the team specialising in the machining of movement components and cases turned their attention to manipulating Graph TPT™— spending many long hours creating and programming cutting tools suitable for achieving precision to a micron. The resulting three-part case cedes ground nowhere, being both highly resistant and extremely light, while preserving perfect ergonomics and a unique, striking appearance.
Watchmaking expertise can be found throughout this movement with drawn, polished, satin-finished and soft-polished surfaces all created by hand. For example, each grade 5 titanium dial requires 3 hours of anglage and polishing to highlight its edge. Other parts, such as the barrel-drum, the minute-wheel and the small and large medium-wheel are circular grained both above and below then hand-beveled and rhodium plated before the teeth are cut A transverse cage, crafted of Carbon TPT™ and inspired by the wishbone suspension structure of a
McLaren-Honda Formula 1 car, is affixed to the caseband, and supports the entire RM50-03 calibre. By eliminating the casing ring, this unusual architecture enables a perfect fit between the movement and case. Taken together, these technical solutions provide the complex calibre with tremendous resistance properties.
The movement’s performance and the quality of the energy delivered can be easily read via coloured indicators denoting the 70-hour energy reserve and torque sensor. The hollow pushers of the chronograph are representative of the air intake ducts on the McLaren-Honda car, while the shape of the crown takes its cue from the racing competition wheel rims used by the British team.
The extraordinary properties of graphene encouraged the manufacture to pursue additional developments. Richard Mille’s strap supplier, BIWI S.A., incorporated this nano-material into the rubber strap of the RM 50-03 to increase its elasticity and resistance to wear.
The RM 50-03 McLaren F1 will be produced in a numbered limited edition of 75 pieces and will be available only at Richard Mille boutiques. Each watch will be accompanied by a 1:5 scale model of the McLaren-Honda racing car driven in 2017 by Double-World Champion Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.
NEW SPLIT-SECONDS SYSTEM: The RM50-03 calibre introduces a latest-generation split-seconds mechanism developed by the Richard Mille engineers. The new column wheel operates the different levers of the split-seconds function and optimises the chronograph's operation. While previous Richard Mille chronographs have traditionally featured a wheel with 8 columns, the one equipping the RM 50-03 now only has 6 columns to ensure optimised simultaneous movement, maximal function locking, and greater adjustment durability. In-depth studies carried out on the function of clamps also led to a new clamp design. The helical spring has also been replaced by a blade on the split seconds wheel of the RM 50-03, a technical decision that reduces the variation in torque when the split-seconds function is activated. All of these developments have considerably improved the timekeeping performance of this tourbillon calibre and have halved the chronograph's energy consumption while reducing friction on the arbors.
Use: the pusher at 8 o'clock starts or stops the seconds hand of the chronograph. The pusher at 4 o'clock stops the split seconds hand and allows an intermediary time to be read off while the chronograph is engaged. When this pusher is pressed again, the split-seconds hand catches up with the chronograph hand and simultaneously continues its course. The pusher at 10 o'clock resets the hands.
TORQUE INDICATOR: This function indicates the tension of the mainspring and makes it possible to optimise the winding of the watch. Under 53 dNmm, the spring is too slack. However, over 65 dNmm, the excessive tension could affect the operation of the mechanism, or even damage it. (These indications appear on the numeric scale to the right of the barrel).
FUNCTION INDICATOR: When the crown is pulled out, the hand indicates winding, hand setting or the neutral position, similar to the gearbox on a car. A hand at 4 o'clock displays the selected mode: W (Winding) – N (Neutral) – H (Hand Setting).
FREE SPRUNG BALANCE WITH VARIABLE INERTIA: This type of balance ensures greater reliability in the event of impact and during the assembly and disassembly of the movement. The watch's long-term precision is therefore improved. The regulator index has been removed and more precise and repeatable inertia adjustment can now be made using four adjustable weights.
FAST ROTATING BARREL: (6 hours per revolution instead of 7.5 hours)
This type of barrel has the following advantages:
- The phenomenon of periodic internal mainspring adhesion is significantly diminished, thereby improving performance.
- Excellent delta of the mainspring curve with a power reserve that ideally balances performance and regularity.
BARREL PAWL WITH PROGRESSIVE RECOIL: This device permits an appreciable winding gain (circa 20%), especially at the start of winding. It also helps to distribute the internal tension of the mainspring correctly.
TEETH OF BARREL AND THIRD WHEEL PINION WITH CENTRAL INVOLUTE PROFILE: The central involute profile of these teeth exerts pressure at an optimal angle of 20°, which enhances the efficiency of the gear train and compensates for any potential variations in penetration. This results in excellent torque transmission and a noticeably improved performance.
MODULAR HAND SETTING MECHANISM ON CASEBACK: This presents the following benefits in terms of longevity and maintenance:
- As this module is assembled outside of the movement, it can be replaced without touching the baseplate during a procedure or maintenance operation.
- The assembly and disassembly of this module from the back does not require the removal of the hands nor the dial.
SPLINE SCREWS IN GRADE 5 TITANIUM FOR THE BRIDGES: The design of these screws permits better control of the torque applied during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
- Dimensions of the movement: 31.10 mm x 32.15 mm
- Thickness: 9.92 mm
- Diameter of the tourbillon: 12.40 mm
- Diameter of the balance: 10 mm
- Number of jewels: 43
- Balance wheel: Glucydur, 2 arms and 4 setting screws
- Inertia moment: 10 mg.cm2, lift angle 53°
- Frequency: 21,600 vph (3 Hz)
- Balance spring: elinvar by Nivarox®
- Shock protection: KIF Elastor KE 160 B28
- Barrel shaft in nickel-free Chronifer (DIN x 46 Cr 13 + S) with the following properties: stainless – antimagnetic – suitable for tempering
Bezel and Case Back
Bezel side: sapphire crystal (1,800 Vickers) with anti-reflective treatment (on both sides)
Thickness: 1.10 mm
Case back side: sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment (on both sides)
Thickness: 1.00 mm
RUBBER STRAP INJECTED WITH GRAPHENE: Thanks to Richard Mille's partnership with BIWI SA, a Swiss company specialised in very-high-precision moulding of vulcanised elastomers, graphene was injected into the rubber strap of the RM 50-03 in order to improve its rubber-like behaviour and thus its resistance to wear.
- Hand-polished bevelling
- Hand-polished locking-sections
- Sapphire-microblasted milled sections
- Lapped and polished contact points
- Burnished pivots
- Wire-drawn and microblasted surfaces
- Hand-polished bevelling
- Concave chamfering with a diamond tool
- Circular-decorated front surfaces
- Rhodium-plating (before cutting the teeth)
- Minimal corrections made to the wheels to preserve their geometry and overall performance
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
Christopher Ward in association with luxury motor car manufacturer Morgan Motor Company has unveiled a three-piece watch collection which ma...
- The Abingdon Co. Celebrates its 10th Anniversary
- Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde Tourbillon Mother-of-Pe...
- Christopher Ward - C3 Malvern Chronograph MK III &...
- Vincent Calabrese Watches: Brand Info
- Perrelet Turbine Rooster Limited Edition
- Grönefeld 1941 Remontoire – New Versions
- Hublot Presents "Connected Frame" Concept in Partn...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Quartz
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic (Ref. IW356601...
- Girard-Perregaux Neo-Bridges
- Atokalpa Celebrates its 15th Anniversary with the ...
- Mo Eden MK1
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Chronograph Edition “Lau...
- Oris New Aquis Date
- Graham Chronofighter Vintage GMT
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Tourbillon
- PRODUCT GALLERY : H. MOSER & CIE. WATCHES
- H. Moser & Cie. Heritage Perpetual Moon
- H. Moser & Cie. Endeavour Concept Guilloché Limite...
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Smoky Sapphire
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Small Seconds Purity
- H. Moser & Cie. Swiss Alp Watch Minute Retrograde ...
- Promoted Kickstarter Campaigns
- RJ-Romain Jerome Moon Orbiter GMT
- Hawthorn Watch Co. - Hemingway and Hemingway Class...
- Singapore Based Watch Brand PLAIN SUPPLIES Launche...
- A. Lange & Söhne SAXONIA – New Models
- A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar
- Jaquet Droz Petite Heure Minute Astorite - Valenti...
- MeisterSinger Neo Plus
- Franck Muller Gravity™ Skeleton
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ Skeleton Sapphire
- Franck Muller Vanguard™ 7 Days Power Reserve Skele...
- Franck Muller CINTREE CURVEX™ 25th Anniversary
- HAUTLENCE VORTEX BRONZE
- Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Planetarium
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar Chron...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Tourbillon Rétrograde Ch...
- IWC Schaffhausen Da Vinci Automatic Moon Phase 36
- A. Lange & Söhne Tourbograph Perpetual “Pour le Mé...
- A. Lange & Söhne ZEITWERK DECIMAL STRIKE
- A. Lange & Söhne LANGE 31
- A. Lange & Söhne Little Lange 1 Moon Phase
- Longines Conquest Classic FIS Alpine World Ski Cha...
- Edox Delfin The Original Chronograph
- Breguet Breguet Tradition Dame 7038
- Officine Panerai Presents the Official Watches Of ...
- Panerai LAB-ID™ Luminor 1950 Carbotech™ 3 Days – 4...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Oracle Team USA 3 Days Chrono...
- GVCHIANI GENÈVE BIG SQUARE Collection
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 America’s Cup 3 Days A...
- Panerai Luminor 1950 Regatta Oracle Team USA 3 Day...
- Panerai Luminor Marina Oracle Team USA 8 Days Acci...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Pure High Art Limited Editio...
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Tourbillon Grand Feu
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Annual Calendar Chronometer w...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Steampunk 46 Auto Camo Editions
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Flawless
- Jacob & Co. Astronomia Octopus
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 Softbank Team Japan 3 ...
- Zenith El Primero 36’000 VPH
- Zenith Heritage 146
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 BMG-TECH™ 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Amagnetic 3 Days ...
- Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic ...
- RJ-Romain Jerome Space Invaders ™ Pop Limited Edit...
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Hybris Artistica Mystérieuse
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic Collection - Geophysic ...
- URWERK UR-106 Flower Power
- URWERK UR-T8
- De Bethune DB25L Milky Way
- TAG Heuer Announces More Than 700 Tourbillon Movem...
- TAG Heuer New Aquaracer Lady 300 Metres 35mm
- TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300M, 43mm, Stainless Steel Ca...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Day-Date Chronograph ...
- TAG Heuer CARRERA HEUER-01 Full Black Matt Ceramic...
- Longines Flagship Heritage – 60th Anniversary 1957...
- Hublot Spirit of Big Bang All Black
- Hublot Big Bang One Click Cuddly Cuff Collection
- Hublot Big Bang Broderie Sugar Skull Fluo
- Hublot Classic Fusion Bracelet Blue
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph, New Models
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Tourbillon Extra-Thin Op...
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra-Thin Yellow Gold
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar - Bla...
- Audemars Piguet Diamond Outrage
- Zahnd & Kormann ZK No. 1 – Swiss Made Automatic Ch...
- Paul Picot Firshire Ronde Small Seconds
- Ulysse Nardin Regatta
- Ulysse Nardin InnoVision 2
- Ulysse Nardin Jade “Grand Feu” and Jade “Cloisonné...
- Ulysse Nardin North Sea Minute Repeater
- DeWitt Lady Pressy Honey
- DeWitt Academia Stainless Steel Grande Date
- DeWitt Sparkling Out of Time
- DeWitt Glorious Knight HMS
- Boston & Stewill Tourer, Swiss Made Automatic Watc...
- ▼ January 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (1573)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)