Legendary Swiss watch brand Angelus made a comeback in 2015 by unveiling U10 Tourbillon Lumière. This mechanical marvel pays tribute to to some of the most influential and forward-thinking designers from the 60s and 70s, such as Dieter Rams and Achille Castiglioni. With its unique design and especially its vitrine-type construction, the U10 offers an extraordinary platform to showcase not only its oversized tourbillon, but also miniature works of wearable art. Angelus now presents an artistic line based on the U10 platform.
The first unique piece from this Angelus U10 art collection pays tribute to the old tradition of Mexican Calaveras. These are part of a very ancient tradition of memento mori. The Calaveras are mainly used in the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos), where people remember and honor those who have passed on with calaveras, poems and other forms of symbolism. The U10 Tourbillon Calavera is a unique piece in stainless steel, which launches the Angelus U10 art collection.
On one hand the U10 Tourbillon Calavera is classic haute horlogerie. Its dead beat seconds complication – where the second hand advances in full steps of one second – derives from 18th-century pocket watches; the movement bridges and plates are in traditional nickel-silver that is bevelled and polished; and the traditional 2.5Hz / 18,000 vph of the screwed balance with Breguet-overcoil is a throwback to some of Angelus’ early pocket watches.
And yet, the modernist display, innovative engineering and state-of-the-art materials and finishing ensure that the U10 Tourbillon Calavera can equally be viewed as a paragon of cutting-edge, contemporary watchmaking.
The generously-proportioned – 62.75 mm x 38 mm x 15 mm – case, which took over two years to develop, features no fewer than seven sapphire crystals. All the crystals are bevelled, polished and subtly protrude from the case, creating expressive three-dimensionality.
Four of these crystals – including one wrapping 90° over the end of the case – surround the tourbillon, allowing unfettered views to the beating heart of the timepiece. The large windows also let light flood in and shine a spotlight on this mechanical centrepiece. The vitrine aspect of the tourbillon space is cleverly enhanced by light-absorbing, matte black PVD finish on the interior walls encasing the tourbillon.
The stainless steel used to make the case is BO-988 specific steel. This annealed steel is of a higher quality than the usual 316L steel found in timepiece cases because it contains fewer impurities, is less liable to corrode and is more biocompatible. Its finer grain size allows for a better standard of polishing and higher level of finish.
With its generous 16.25 mm diameter, the hand-polished tourbillon cage is crafted from weight-saving stainless steel, while titanium has been chosen for the tourbillon bridge due to its strength and shock-absorbing qualities. The flying tourbillon configuration does not need an upper supporting bridge and offers unimpeded views to the top of the regulator. The combination of nickel-silver, titanium and stainless steel in a watch movement is unique and especially the magenta lacquer for the bridge of the tourbillon cage.
A large diameter one-minute tourbillon requires significant energy, which is amply supplied by the dual main spring barrels. When fully wound, the Angelus A100 calibre provides 90 hours of optimal power. The two mainspring barrels are optimally sized in a special ratio for a flatter torque curve, which maximizes accuracy throughout for the full 90 hours.
While the dead beat seconds hand’s step-by-step motion is the result of a traditional horological complication, the stepped seconds is also reminiscent of quartz watches. Completing the indications on the side of the case is the intuitive linear power reserve featuring a rhodium-treated hand filled with blue lacquer.
Model: U10 Tourbillon Calavera
Hours, minutes, central dead beat seconds, one-minute flying tourbillon, linear power reserve indication
Calibre: A-100, mechanical hand-winding tourbillon movement
Complications: One-minute flying tourbillon
Dimensions: 52.10 mm x 30.40 mm
Thickness: 7.50 mm
Power reserve: 90 h, double barrel
Frequency: 2.5Hz / 18,000 vph
Tourbillon: 16.25 mm cage diameter, Swiss lever escapement, screwed balance and hairspring with Breguet overcoil
Movement decoration: Nickel-silver movement, rhodium treated with haute horlogerie finishing: satin-finished main plate with laser engraved pattern, satin-finished bridges with chamfered and polished edges, plate dial side with sunray satin-finish, circular satin-finished wheels, screws with bevelled and mirror-polished heads, two laser-engraved and enamelled ratchets
Tourbillon finishing: bead-blasted and satin-finished titanium tourbillon bridge, entire tourbillon cage with hand-chamfered and polished edges and either satin-finished or mirror-polished surfaces
Colour: Translucent-grey coated concave sapphire and black outer ring
Double white (C1) Super-LumiNova dots at 12 o’clock
Single white (C1) Super-LumiNova dots at 3, 6 & 9 o’clock
Hour, minute & power reserve hands: Brushed-finished, rhodium-treated, with blue lacquer
Dead beat seconds hand: Magenta lacquered
Material: BO-988 specific annealed stainless steel, bead-blasted and treated with black PVD on the inside
Dimensions: 62.75 mm x 38 mm
Thickness: 15 mm including sapphire crystals
Sapphire crystals: 7 in total, treated with anti-reflective coating
Back: See-though sapphire crystal
Water-resistant: 30 m
Hand-stitched black alligator leather
Buckle: Stainless steel folding buckle
A futuristic extrapolation of a 19th century movement architecture now considered to be the historical signature of the Manufacture Girard-P...
In honour of a pioneer who inspired generations of scientists after him from Newton to Einstein, the high end writing instrument specialist ...
The Da Vinci Automatic wristwatch from this year’s Da Vinci edition, is a classically simple watch with three hands in a 40-millimetre round...
Young watch brand Straton Watch Co. is launching their latest addition, the Syncro, a stylish timepiece collection inspired by 1970s stopwat...
Founded by Nicolas Bartschat and Fabian Weis, the young watch brand Styrman & Crew is creating a new trend in the watch industry. Since ...
In 2017, Audemars Piguet presents a new women’s Royal Oak with a uniquely gem-set look defined by a swirling diamond relief pattern that gli...
BRELLUM is a young and independent Swiss watchmaking brand based at Porrentruy in the canton of Jura, the region better known as the cradle ...
British jeweller and watch maker Mo Eden presents his first men’s wristwatch: the MK1. Hand made in London’s Hatton Garden, the watch is bes...
Prestigious Swiss watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin announces the appointments of Juan Carlos Torres as non-executive President, and of ...
Re-Belle, the wonderful ladies’ watch collection from the luxury Swiss watch brand CVSTOS, now welcome new iterations. After a first succes...
- Parmigiani Fleurier Ovale Pantographe
- Parmigiani Fleurier Ovale Tourbillon Rose Gold Aby...
- MB&F Legacy Machine No 2 Titanium
- Girard-Perregaux Cat’s Eye Celestial
- Parmigiani Fleurier Bugatti Aérolithe Performance ...
- Hermès Cape Cod – New Versions
- Longines Celebrates Its 185th Anniversary
- Russian Actress Yulia Peresild Joins Rado as Globa...
- Breitling Colt Skyracer
- Gruppo Gamma Vanguard Mk IV
- Siegfriedson – Elegant Mechanical Timepieces from ...
- ANONIMO Watches - Brand Info
- Bell & Ross - BR03-92 Horograph & BR03-92 Horolum
- Ateliers Demonaco Opens Its First Boutique in the ...
- MATWATCHES HIGH COMMAND AG 7
- MATWATCHES “Les Etoiles du Sport Solidaires” (Unit...
- JS Watch Co Sif North Atlantic Rescue Timer (N.A.R...
- Oris Hammerhead Limited Edition
- Harry Winston Avenue Classic Cherry Blossom
- ArtyA Son of Sea Tourbillon
- Danish Watch Brand Obaku Celebrates Its 10th Anniv...
- MATWATCHES AG7 XL Limited Edition
- CHRONOSWISS Sirius Flying Regulator Jumping Hour
- MATWATCHES Groupama Team France Regate Timer Limit...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Enamel Limited Edition
- ANGELUS U10 Tourbillon Calavera
- Mother's Day Special: Louis Moinet Stardance Moonp...
- AEROWATCH –1942 “Night & Day”
- Corum Golden Bridge Rectangle
- Shiv Timeless Inception Collection
- Movado Ultra Slim
- TAG Heuer Announces Its E-Commerce Partnership Agr...
- American Top Model Bella Hadid Is the New Female F...
- Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Pirelli - Double Fly...
- ArtyA “Coup de Foudre” for Valentine's Day
- Straton Watch Co. Syncro
- Voutilainen Vingt-8 ISO
- CVSTOS Re-Belle Collection
- Calvin Klein minimal
- Gucci Le Marché Des Merveilles Collection (New Add...
- Hamilton - Khaki X-Wind Auto Chrono & Khaki X-Wind...
- Blancpain- Fifty Fathoms 38mm (Ref: 5100-1140-O52A...
- Tissot Ballade
- Rebellion Predator 2.0 Regulator Tourbillon
- Eberhard & Co. Scafograf GMT
- Montblanc TimeWalker Chronograph Rally Timer Count...
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic Accia...
- Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 Carbotech™ 3 Days Auto...
- Styrman & Crew Launches Kickstarter Campaign
- Glashütte Original Celebrates 7th year of Berlinal...
- Glashütte Original Suggests Some Stunning Pair Wat...
- Maurice Lacroix AIKON Ladies 30mm & 35mm
- Maurice Lacroix AIKON Chrono 44mm with Blue Dial
- Maurice Lacroix Eliros Date Ladies New Model
- Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Gravity Blue
- Maurice Lacroix Eliros Date Ladies Valentine’s Day...
- Vincent Calabrese Kronos Limited Edition
- Ulysse Nardin SuperCat Concept
- Seiko Presage Enamel Collection, Edition 2017
- Tissot T-Race MotoGPTM Automatic Limited Edition 2...
- Moritz Grossmann ATUM Polo Special Edition for the...
- Cuervo y Sobrinos Torpedo Pirata “Crono Day Date”
- Raymond Weil tango (New Versions)
- Michel Herbelin Inspiration 1947, Anniversary Watc...
- TAG Heuer FORMULA 1 Chronograph Manchester United ...
- TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer-01 Calibre Manufacture Chr...
- ArtyA Son of Earth Black Tobacco
- Montblanc TimeWalker Chronograph 1000 Limited Edit...
- Montblanc TimeWalker Date Automatic
- Montblanc TimeWalker Chronograph Automatic
- Montblanc TimeWalker Chronograph UTC
- LORNET Watches: Genuinely ‘Made in France’
- Vacheron Constantin Appoints Louis Ferla as Its Ne...
- NOMOS Glashütte wins iF Design Award 2017 for its ...
- Alpina Seastrong Horological Smartwatch
- Long Island Watch Adds the Hemel Brand of Watches ...
- The Abingdon Co. Announces a New Retailer in Toron...
- Frederique Constant Classic Worldtimer Manufacture...
- Montblanc High Artistry Homage to Johannes Kepler ...
- AEROWATCH Les Grandes Classiques Self-Winding Semi...
- deLaCour Reflect Chrono Skeleton
- Carl f. Bucherer Timepieces Make Their Appearance ...
- BRELLUM Duobox Chronometer
- ▼ February 2017 (83)
- ► 2016 (1572)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)