Over the past few years, schlumpf innovations has been making new kind of clocks called as Time Machines. These creations don’t just represent time with hands marking the passage of minutes and hours. The purest expressions of this concept are the hard-core Time Machines that have no hands at all. Some Time Machines have very discreet time indicators. And there are the installations, such as the Four-Quadrant Time Machine, big enough to walk through so that it surrounds the visitor with four mechanical clock-pulse generators and the majestic, harmonic swing of four long pendulums, creating a world of timelessness.
This monumental project represents many new technical approaches and solutions, one of them being „orbital drive“: the entire clockwork moves steadily, with only the anchor wheel stopping intermittently. This is a new perspective on the classical clock mechanism, as the kinetic energy in the movement is not destroyed with every stroke, just to be re-animated again a moment later.
The new TM3 is a family of smaller Time Machines, available starting the end of 2015. The TM3 is available in wall-mounted and freestanding versions. It is available in a variety of finishes, including black, matte silver, and gold, and is offered in a limited edition of 99 numbered pieces. The company can also design unique combinations of finishes, including gold leaf and monochromatic.
For BaselWorld 2015, the company developed and executed the huge Four-Quadrant Time Machine, which stood in the inner courtyard of the famous clock fair. It‘s a monumental installation, five meters tall, big enough to walk through, and invites the visitor to listen to the magical sound of four identical but non-synchronous Time Machines, and to watch the movement of 24 wheels rotating steadily, with only the anchor wheels being stopped and released by the pendulum.
schlumpf innovations has also designed unique pieces such as the Black on Black, which uses a black backplate, black wheels, black pendulum, and black frame – the Time Machine reduced to its purest form, focusing attention on sound and movement. Also available with a polished, gold-plated pendulum disk on request.
About schlumpf innovations gmbh
As a company, schlumpf innovations has a history dating to 1988, but products were being produced under the Schlumpf name a century before that. Johann Melchior Schlumpf, the great-grandfather of CEO Florian Schlumpf opened a mechanical workshop in the small Swiss village of Steinhausen in the year 1885. A skilled carpenter, he not only built his own house, he worked in a range of fields including hydraulics and electricity. He used the river flowing beneath his house to power the transmission belts in his workshop, and he invented a hydraulic ram, a type of self-driven water pump.
With this inspiring legacy, his great-grandson grew up in the Zugerland region 70 years later. Although the machines in the workshop were no longer powered by transmission belts, the fascination of mechanical ideas was as strong as ever.
Florian Schlumpf started his professional education as a sculptor in the Academy of Fine Arts in Lucerne in the late 1970s. After travelling the world for two years on a self-made motorcycle, he decided to develop more formal training in the field of mechanics. He graduated as a mechanical engineer in 1988. An early job as an engineer at a big paper mill lasted only a few months. Even as he was developing and building custom machinery for his employer, he decided to start his own workshop.
Inspired to solve the problem of multiple gears on a unicycle, he developed his concept for a planetary gearing system. The “mountain drive,” easy to activate by foot, earned a strong reputation among niche markets from Australia to the USA for recumbents, folding bikes, commuter bikes, and e-bikes.
Meanwhile, a request for a hydraulic ram with “impossible” specifications (110 m3/day pumping volume and 170-m elevation rise from a 70-m drop) led to the development of a completely new generation of high-pressure rams, characterized by a high-speed action that reduces stress on both valves and pipes. These hydraulic rams can now deliver water over an elevation rise of as much as 500 meters, and are being used from Haiti to Nepal.
Returning to his early inspiration to build a gearing system for unicycles, Florian Schlumpf adapted his mountain drive system to unicycles, giving them a high gear. Ten years later, most of the world’s fastest and most successful unicyclists use the Schlumpf hub for marathons and 10-km races, and many for daily commuting. Top unicyclists have used this product to reach speeds of 40 km/h and faster.
In 2011, the German company Haberstock Mobility bought the patents and production rights to the bicycle gearing system. For schlumpf innovations, this was an opportunity to try something new.
Florian Schlumpf has always been fascinated by clocks and precision mechanisms. While the tic-toc sound of a mechanical clock was once a familiar aspect of the home environment, today, these clocks and their sounds have all but disappeared. This was the inspiration for the Time Machine, which celebrates the mechanical precision and sensory pleasure of a traditional clock in a purely artistic experience.
A key element of the Time Machine is creating a new relationship with time: it has no hands or face to mark time and remind us of its scarcity. Instead, there is simply a mechanism to contemplate and enjoy the passage of time.
Florian Schlumpf’s daughter Fiona now works at the company, handling marketing and lending a hand to assemble machines when needed. In addition to Time Machines, schlumpf innovations continues to manufacture precision unicycle gearing systems and high-performance water rams, and exports them worldwide.
schlumpf innovations gmbh
CH - 7203 Trimmis
At the Geneva International Motor Show conducted in March this year, Swiss luxury watch brand Roger Dubuis has announced its partnership wit...
Matthias Naeschke creates luxurious and bespoke timepieces that excite passion and engagement for professionals and clock aficionados alike ...
Ulysse Nardin Jade is now available in 3 entirely stunning editions with handcrafted enamel dials. Complex and difficult to achieve, the d...
This year, Chopard presents a platinum version of the L.U.C Lunar One. Available in a 100-piece limited series, this new model boasts a deep...
H. Moser & Cie. presents a cosmic green dial version of its Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity model, an elegant watch which, at 43 mm, ha...
Unveiled in 2012 and since interpreted through a variety of limited editions, the X-TREM-1 series is one of the best sellers from Christophe...
Arnold & Son unveils a new rendition of its unique DBG dual-time (GMT) timepiece, the DBG Skeleton. An acronym for “double balance” and ...
Hamilton’s relationship with Hollywood began in 1951 – underwater – when actors playing naval diving heroes wore Hamilton watches in the Osc...
Swiss luxury watch manufacture Vacheron Constantin updates its Traditionnelle collection by unveiling a 10 piece platinum limited edition ve...
Of classic watch design and yet discretely sportive, this charismatic gent’s chronograph pays homage to times when in watchmaking chronograp...
- Oris Chronoris
- Oris Staghorn Restoration Limited Edition
- Oris Artelier Grande Lune Date
- Oris Big Crown 1917 Limited Edition
- TAG Heuer New 2017 “Link Lady”
- TAG Heuer CARRERA HEUER-01 Rose Gold
- TAG Heuer Carrera Lady 2017
- TAG Heuer Steel Link for Men Calibre 5
- TAG Heuer CARRERA Heuer-02T with a Baguette Diamon...
- TAG Heuer AQUARACER Camouflage 300 Metres, Calibre...
- TAG Heuer – The New AUTAVIA
- Mido Ocean Star Caliber 80 Titanium (M026.430.47.0...
- L'Epée 1839 Requiem by Kostas Metaxas
- ArtyA Golden Dragon Tourbillon 1/1
- Lebeau-Courally Micro II
- Bering Automatic Vitus 1728
- LOCMAN Stealth 300 Metres Carbon Chronograph
- Mido Baroncelli Prisma (M007.207.11.116.00)
- KERBEDANZ Squama Tourbillon
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle world time Plat...
- Chopard Happy Ocean
- EBEL Sport Classic
- Chopard L.U.C XPS Twist QF Fairmined Limited Editi...
- Mido Baroncelli Heritage (M027.407.22.010.00 & M02...
- Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Italdesign Edition
- TAG Heuer pays tribute to Muhammad Ali and its clo...
- Ulysse Nardin Classic Sonata
- TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45
- Roger Dubuis Opens New Flagship Boutique at Harrod...
- Arnold & Son DBG Skeleton Limited Edition
- Christophe Claret X-TREM-1 StingHD Limited Edition...
- DUFA REGULATOR 9017
- Christopher Ward Launches Exclusive Timepiece Coll...
- Rönkkö Icarus Bi-Hemispheric Moon Complication Sil...
- Amir Watches - Nomadic Empires Collection
- Matthias Naeschke Table clock NT 12
- Schlumpf Time Machines – The Art of Enjoying Time
- Fabergé Visionnaire Chronograph
- Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Range Rover Velar S...
- Ulysse Nardin Jade “Grand Feu”
- Raymond Weil Freelancer Chronograph “Gibson Les Pa...
- Longines Presents All New Conquest V.H.P Collectio...
- Arnold & Son Tourbillon Chronometer No. 36 Limited...
- De Bethune DB28 Kind of Blue Tourbillon Meteorite
- Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar II
- Chopard L.U.C Lunar One Platinum Limited Edition
- Chopard Mille Miglia Classic Chronograph - His and...
- F.P. Journe - Octa Automatique Réserve & Octa Auto...
- ArtyA Son of a Gun “Raging Skull”
- Angelus U21 and U22 Tourbillon
- Zelos Launches Kickstarter Campaign for its Latest...
- Arnold & Son Instrument DSTB, New Stainless Steel ...
- H. Moser & Cie. Venturer Small Seconds XL Purity C...
- Greubel Forsey Signature 1 Platinum
- Greubel Forsey Grande Sonnerie
- VARIO Eclipse Watch
- COVER Co191 Althea
- COVER Co193 Amelia
- COVER CoA8 Lady Diamond Open Heart
- COVER Co178 Concerta Pearl
- Oris Royal Flying Doctor Service Limited Edition I...
- Zannetti Scuba Art Piranha Mid-Size
- Zannetti Regent Full Sky Blue Edition
- ZANNETTI DISCOBOLO
- STOWA Launches Special Edition Watches On Its 90th...
- Arnold & Son Métiers d’Art HM Falcon
- Christopher Ward C8 Regulator Limited Edition
- Graham London Geo. Graham Tourbillon Orrery, Pink ...
- LIMES Endurance PD
- deLaCour Saqra Urban
- THE MACALLAN X URWERK FLASK
- TEMPTION MODEL CM05 RELAUNCH
- Breitling Avenger Hurricane 12 Hour
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Unveils a New Heritage Gallery at...
- British Watch Brand Lufbery Launches Kickstarter C...
- Louis Moinet Metropolis
- ArtyA Hand Crafted Mother of Pearl 1/1
- ▼ March 2017 (77)
- ► 2016 (1573)
- ► 2015 (1717)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1671)
- ► 2012 (1319)
- ► 2011 (877)
- ► 2010 (1425)
- ► 2009 (2066)
- ► 2008 (517)